PDA

View Full Version : Why don't NTL cable new estates.

sweaty
20-04-2005, 21:56
Where I live NTL are losing big time. Boxes are being collected as new estates go up and NTl won't cable them. People want to stay but can't. There are cabinets outside alot of these new areas and must have capacity but NTL won't cable the street. The developers want them to, the new occupants want them to but NTL don't want to know. One area is a big development, NTL(or C&W) cabled the earliest part then cabling stopped about a year ago. BT only offer TIPON (fibre but not up to the door) and this won't service broadband only a basic ISDN service.
NTL are losing out. Ok their CS stinks compared to BT (I've worked for both so I know) but surely they need to get into new areas in established cabled towns or cities? I t surely can't be down to money? Anyone know why?:confused:
Also there are newish estates where NTL placed cabinets, ducting , etc but then vanished. The infrastructure is there, maybe a little vandalized , but no cable. Why?

Millay
20-04-2005, 22:05
I can only imagine its coz there skint, perhaps putting the boxes in means they have the main infrastructure ready for when they can afford to cable, as It can be a lot more costly digging up the streets again..

Derek
20-04-2005, 22:09
Pretty much money, there was some rumblnigs about certain estates getting cabled when I started with Ntl a few years back but nothing ever came of it. The usual flashy launch and intranet site then nothing.

It's pretty gutting for people in new estates. One of my mates can see a junction box from his front window but cannot receive services.

It's a shame as there are a couple of hundred houses in the estate and a significant number would have taken the 3 services if they were available at the time they moved in.

As it is the majority now have a shiny grey dustbin lid stuck to their chimneys.

hairy_mick
20-04-2005, 22:56
where i live the cable network is shrinking as houses are being pulled down, whole estates and the ducting is lost but new estates are not being cabled to replace the loss not forward thinking imho.

kibblerok
21-04-2005, 00:34
Working at ntl it amazes me why they won't cable up new properties and estates that run past or very close to existing properties that can have cable.

Ok so ntl don't have much money spare but when estates are being built its the most cost effective and cheapest it will ever be, the roads are not completed and no paths to dig up and re-lay, just dig through the rubble, lay the cable and go.... the developers finish the path/road off. Even more so when new people moving in it would be the best time for ntl to sell services to them.

Whats even more annoying is new developments of flats, so many houses in such a small space, so much return in revenue in one condensed area and they won't do it. If ntl won't cable these up when they are being built costing pittance compared to doing it later, to be honest it will probably never happen. :monkey:

Nedkelly
21-04-2005, 00:56
In my area Ntl used to give the builders all the stuff they needed to put it on the new estates.Then we would come in and build the cabs and get them ready for the install people.But some builders got greedy and wanted paying for laying the ducts.So Ntl stopped doing this we noe have 3 new estates half done .so houses 1 19 and 2 22 can have cable down a street but if you live passed these you cant.it is a shame that they do not build any more .The salesmen say it is getting harder to sell on a areas that have been hit more than 2 times a year new build would help.

Chrysalis
21-04-2005, 17:26
There is money if the guys at the top want it doing, its down to company policy. I guess NTL had 2 options to expand their customer base, rollout discount after discount for new customers to draw people in from exisiting areas, or rollout to new estates. We know which they chosen.

Mr_Burns
21-04-2005, 18:47
ntl are going into some new developments, but they'll never be able to get into every single one, even if they are really close to the network.

SLM
21-04-2005, 19:02
ntl are not doing new digs due to the numbers that have a cable running past there home, in simple terms there is about 60% (only a guess) customer base and 40% possible, once ntl get near 100% coverage they will start new digs. What is the point in cabling say an estate of say 500 homes if only 150 want ntl, it will take ntl alot longer to get the money back.
I heard that it can take ntl 5 years to make any money on a new customer if you take all the work that has been carried out to get the cable to the front door of the house.....

spike7451
21-04-2005, 19:03
Hi,I'm a I/R Tech with NTL & the way i understand it is it has something to do with once a road/path is laid,it cannot be dug up for 5 years except for 'essential' works.The is also a 'wayleave' issue which is where the permission of the developer has to be sought.My cousin is a example.She lives at the end of a cul-de-sac,but because a bloke 2 doos down wont give ntl permission to cross in front of his house,she cant get cable.Belfast,Lisburn & Glengormley where i live in N-Ireland are the only places that have been 90% cabled (apart from L/Derry)
The also are 2 large towns near where i live,Bangor & Newtownards have been largly cabled for 2 or more years but so far,no install work has gone on.
Mainly,the problem is lack of money since NTL's chapter 11.And there has been talk for a while now about a merger with Telewest.
M

Mr_Burns
21-04-2005, 19:26
ntl are not doing new digs due to the numbers that have a cable running past there home, in simple terms there is about 60% (only a guess) customer base and 40% possible, once ntl get near 100% coverage they will start new digs. What is the point in cabling say an estate of say 500 homes if only 150 want ntl, it will take ntl alot longer to get the money back.
I heard that it can take ntl 5 years to make any money on a new customer if you take all the work that has been carried out to get the cable to the front door of the house.....

But ntl IS currently making services available to some new developments (ones in the process of being built). If you're talking about completed developments or areas that are not currently cabled then I agree that it would be extremely unlikely for ntl to make service available to them as the cost of digging up the roads is very high.

sweaty
21-04-2005, 20:26
In my area, Beds and Bucks they are not. Potential customers are pulling their hair out, they want NTl! It's a shame really. I spoke to one developer who was desperate to get NTL to cable. They had done half the estate, the rest was continued about two months later. NTL cabled the original estate, then refused to continue with the rest, the developer gave up making phone calls ,etc. About 10 boxes were collected as people could not continue with ntl. most had BB, TV and phone. Most had a dislike of SKY (murdoch , etc) and wanted to continue.

With the expected development in this area with 1000's of new homes being proposed NTl has a could chance of increasing customer numbers. Even if they just have the phone and BB and leave the TV to Sky. Most are doing that anyway!:o

Hi,I'm a I/R Tech with NTL & the way i understand it is it has something to do with once a road/path is laid,it cannot be dug up for 5 years except for 'essential' works.The is also a 'wayleave' issue which is where the permission of the developer has to be sought.My cousin is a example.She lives at the end of a cul-de-sac,but because a bloke 2 doos down wont give ntl permission to cross in front of his house,she cant get cable.Belfast,Lisburn & Glengormley where i live in N-Ireland are the only places that have been 90% cabled (apart from L/Derry)
The also are 2 large towns near where i live,Bangor & Newtownards have been largly cabled for 2 or more years but so far,no install work has gone on.
Mainly,the problem is lack of money since NTL's chapter 11.And there has been talk for a while now about a merger with Telewest.
M

When I was at BT the wayleave act was quite vague. The permission is sought from the local authority if it is a road, path , etc, unless the path has not been officially passed from developers to LA. The neighbour has a right if it crosses his property but not if it is running past it. By the looks of it Victor Meldrew lives on!!

poolking
21-04-2005, 20:32
Wouldn't be better if NTL concentrated on fixing the existing network, instead of making additions to it?

sweaty
21-04-2005, 20:50
You could say the same about BT, new estates get copper but some old 30 year old council estate get Ali cable with noise and BB dropping out. You could also say BT cable a new estate, as they have to under their regs. 100k later, majority go the CPS (one-tel, etc) route and BT get only the line rental or in future nothing.

HornetUK
21-04-2005, 21:06
I live on an estate built between 2002 & now with 500 new houses and its all cabled by NTL from 2002 to present.

sweaty
21-04-2005, 21:22
Is it the old RAF Stanbridge estate?

jtwn
21-04-2005, 22:10
Its beyond me, ntl's cabling ideas. They cabled from my village, ~1.5miles down country road to the next, yet, what a year or two on its not available there?