PDA

View Full Version : Advice on printer & file sharing

Simcut
20-04-2005, 13:02
Hi guys,

Well, after the problems with my sister's PC, she's gone and bought a new one - a Dell 2.6ghz or something, its arriving tomorrow evening.

What I wanted to ask is she wants to transfer all of her mp3s, photos taken with digi cam and all her documents and pics of Robbie Williams (ugh :/) from my PC which I share with my sis and my mum, over to her's.

What is the best way of doing this? I have a Belkin Router which when the PC turns up for my sister I will link up. I have tried file & printer sharing but I dont like how it gets set up, it makes folders on your HD where you have to transfer the files to, to be able to retrieve them, is there another way of doing it? perhaps making my sister's hard drive appear as another drive letter on my PC?

Is there any decent software to do this or will I have to use the XP File & Printer Sharing wizard.

Thanks all,

maverick
20-04-2005, 13:08
Try this

https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=home

danielf
20-04-2005, 13:09
You can choose which folders from a machine you want to share. (It's under the folder options). You don't want to share the entire hard drive, as it's not very safe.

Stuart
20-04-2005, 13:12
Hi guys,

Well, after the problems with my sister's PC, she's gone and bought a new one - a Dell 2.6ghz or something, its arriving tomorrow evening.

What I wanted to ask is she wants to transfer all of her mp3s, photos taken with digi cam and all her documents and pics of Robbie Williams (ugh :/) from my PC which I share with my sis and my mum, over to her's.

What is the best way of doing this? I have a Belkin Router which when the PC turns up for my sister I will link up. I have tried file & printer sharing but I dont like how it gets set up, it makes folders on your HD where you have to transfer the files to, to be able to retrieve them, is there another way of doing it? perhaps making my sister's hard drive appear as another drive letter on my PC?

Is there any decent software to do this or will I have to use the XP File & Printer Sharing wizard.

Thanks all,

First, disable simple file sharing. To do this, click "Control Panel", "Folder Options", "View". Clear the tick on "Use simple file sharing (recommended)".

Now, if you want to share a folder (XP won't allow you to share individual files, just the contents of a folder or a printer), right click on it, select "Sharing". You can then specify the share name etc on that dialog.

You share printers in the same way, but right click on a printer and select "Sharing".

Neil
20-04-2005, 13:14
It's amazing what you find when you check the Useful Info sections that we put up.....

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16565

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=66&page=1&pp=25&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1

;)

Aragorn
20-04-2005, 13:17
If this is a one off copy, and you have a CD burner, imo it would be easier to use the XP 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' and burn the data to CD.

File Sharing can work easily, but sometimes it is a real b**ch to set up (plenty of threads on here).

HTH

Simcut
23-04-2005, 16:57
thank you all.