PDA

View Full Version : The worlds best chef is in the UK

Ramrod
19-04-2005, 16:56
FOR years Britain has been cast as the poor relation when it comes to food, but last night Heston Blumenthalââ ¬â„¢s restaurant The Fat Duck, in Bray, Berkshire, was crowned the best in the world.
A panel of 600 international chefs and critics voted for the man whose dishes sound like a mistake †” smoked bacon and egg ice-cream or green tea and lime mousse dipped in liquid nitrogen. Excellent! :tu: :)

link (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7558792/) & link (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1575482,00.html)

Nugget
19-04-2005, 17:00
link (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7558792/) & link (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1575482,00.html)

Lime mousse dipped in liquid nitrogen? That must have taken ages to work out!

Mind you, what if the waiter dropped it? He'd be absolutely shattered!

You're alright - I'm going home soon :D

paulyoung666
19-04-2005, 17:02
saw a program he did on tv a while ago , he reckoned cooking a joint of beef at something like 100 degrees c till the inside reached something like 60 degrees c was the best way to cook it , the ****ing thing was still raw :disturbd: , i reckon if you had given it a good kick it would have gone moo and run off :erm: :D :D :D

homealone
19-04-2005, 17:08
I watched some of 'Masterchef' a short while ago & they featured his restaurant. The kitchen is more like a chemistry lab ;).

Some of my colleagues have been there & tried the 'taster' menu - they said it was just amazing, things you wouldn't think of putting together in a month of Sundays were revealed as taste sensations.

- the sorbet/mousse dipped in liquid nitrogen was apparently spectacular - with plumes of nitrogen 'fog' streaming out of your nose, while the taste exploded on your tongue.

Bray looks like a good place to live, if you like food, with the Waterside Inn making the list, as well :)

danielf
19-04-2005, 17:41
- the sorbet/mousse dipped in liquid nitrogen was apparently spectacular - with plumes of nitrogen 'fog' streaming out of your nose, while the taste exploded on your tongue.

cool :)

gary_580
19-04-2005, 20:06
Best Restaurant <> Best Chef ;)

allieyoung666
19-04-2005, 20:32
ERM sounds nice?? Isnt that the guy who does all weird concotions??

andyl
19-04-2005, 21:04
The guy here - www.juniper-restaurant.co.uk - is friends with Heston Blumenthal. He's not quite as scientific as Heston but his menus are pretty intriguing - Look at the Special Events section!

gary_580
19-04-2005, 21:06

:confused: yes, its says so in those reports

homealone
19-04-2005, 21:25
The guy here - www.juniper-restaurant.co.uk - is friends with Heston Blumenthal. He's not quite as scientific as Heston but his menus are pretty intriguing - Look at the Special Events section!

a nice touch with the 'special welcome' ;)

- very interesting, the fish theme night looks awesome :drool:

Graham M
19-04-2005, 22:48
saw a program he did on tv a while ago , he reckoned cooking a joint of beef at something like 100 degrees c till the inside reached something like 60 degrees c was the best way to cook it , the ****ing thing was still raw :disturbd: , i reckon if you had given it a good kick it would have gone moo and run off :erm: :D :D :D

Rare-Medium Rare is the best way to eat beef, has a lot more flavour! I guess you've never tried Beef Black & Blue, its where you seal each side of the joint/steak so that the juices are sealed in, only the outside is cooked. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Maggy
19-04-2005, 23:11
Rare-Medium Rare is the best way to eat beef, has a lot more flavour! I guess you've never tried Beef Black & Blue, its where you seal each side of the joint/steak so that the juices are sealed in, only the outside is cooked. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ooooh don't I'm drooling.However since the advent of Mad Cow Disease you will be lucky to be served this anywhere..I have to cook it for myself. :rolleyes:

danielf
19-04-2005, 23:15
ooooh don't I'm drooling.However since the advent of Mad Cow Disease you will be lucky to be served this anywhere..I have to cook it for myself. :rolleyes:

You will be lucky to get a properly cooked steak anywhere in the UK. Period...

(except perhaps in Mr. Blumenthal's restaurant)

Maggy
19-04-2005, 23:17

Too true.I have to ask for a very rare steak to even get one that is pink inside... :rolleyes:

danielf
19-04-2005, 23:19
Too true.I have to ask for a very rare steak to even get one that is pink inside... :rolleyes:

Exactly...

me283
19-04-2005, 23:43
Bray looks like a good place to live, if you like food, with the Waterside Inn making the list, as well :)

Bray is a lovely place to live ;)

My local pub is in the High Street, and the food there is pretty damn good too. Actually the local claim is that we are the only village in the world to have two Michelin starred restaurants.:)

They call it "food science". It's combining things that you wouldn't put together normally, but which scientifically can complement each other. One of the ones often mentioned locally is the bacon and egg flavoured ice cream...

homealone
19-04-2005, 23:57
Bray is a lovely place to live ;)

My local pub is in the High Street, and the food there is pretty damn good too. Actually the local claim is that we are the only village in the world to have two Michelin starred restaurants.:)

They call it "food science". It's combining things that you wouldn't put together normally, but which scientifically can complement each other. One of the ones often mentioned locally is the bacon and egg flavoured ice cream...

it is also about size reduction - concentrating flavours, like the freeze dried smoked salmon ;)

and the one that converted me, was, black pepper & strawberries.... the strawberries must be english & the pepper must be freshly ground ;

danielf
20-04-2005, 00:05
it is also about size reduction - concentrating flavours, like the freeze dried smoked salmon ;)

I suppose that rules out the souffle and mousse...

homealone
20-04-2005, 00:17
I suppose that rules out the souffle and mousse...

we need a new dish called an 'equilibrium' ;:)

danielf
20-04-2005, 00:23
we need a new dish called an 'equilibrium' ;:)

Creme brule in liguid kerosene :drool:

Edit: perhaps frozen kerosene is better, to balance the flavours...

gary_580
20-04-2005, 09:03

:erm: What :confused: what does mad cow disease have to do with how much you cook meat? You cook meat to kill anything that may be living in or on it. As a steak is a solid cut of meat then there is likely only to be bugs and stuff living on the outside edges and hence you can cook it blue and still be safe. If it were minced be then thats a different matter as the outside surfaces of the meat are all over the place

send it back if its not right!! and stop eating at Brewers Fayre pubs :D

danielf
20-04-2005, 09:06
send it back if its not right!! and stop eating at Brewers Fayre pubs :D

I do (occasionally), and I've had overcooked steaks at £50 a head establishments :erm:

Ramrod
20-04-2005, 09:14
and stop eating at Brewers Fayre pubs :D :tu:

paulyoung666
20-04-2005, 09:27

it wasnt rare , it was ****ing raw :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

Stuart
20-04-2005, 10:12

I have to admit, I like steak well done. Possibly something to do with having food poisoning as a kid, and there being at least a slight chance that a steak was involved.

Maggy
20-04-2005, 16:34
:erm: What :confused: what does mad cow disease have to do with how much you cook meat? You cook meat to kill anything that may be living in or on it. As a steak is a solid cut of meat then there is likely only to be bugs and stuff living on the outside edges and hence you can cook it blue and still be safe. If it were minced be then thats a different matter as the outside surfaces of the meat are all over the place

Tell that to them that started banning any kind of raw food because of either food poisoning or Mad Cow disease..

orangebird
20-04-2005, 16:52
it wasnt rare , it was ****ing raw :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

If the meat is good, raw steak can be just as tasty as cooked. I usually have my steak v v v v rare, but there's one restaurant near me where they serve steak tartare - they even make it up in front of you at your table. Divine, absolute heaven on a plate :drool:

Ramrod
20-04-2005, 16:54
If the meat is good, raw steak can be just as tasty as cooked. I usually have my steak v v v v rare, but there's one restaurant near me where they serve steak tartare - they even make it up in front of you at your table. Divine, absolute heaven on a plate :drool:Alltogether now: :sick: :sick: :sick: :D

andyl
20-04-2005, 16:56
I'm beginning to understand the blood lust exhibited on other threads ;) :D

Paulie
20-04-2005, 16:57
A good vet would have that up and about in no time ;)

orangebird
20-04-2005, 17:02
I'm beginning to understand the blood lust exhibited on other threads ;) :D

:LOL:! I used to run a restaurant. And I reserved the right to refuse to serve customers who ordered a fillet steak well done. Criminal. :nono: Not quite enough to deserve the death penalty, but pretty close ;)

me283
20-04-2005, 17:03
If the meat is good, raw steak can be just as tasty as cooked. I usually have my steak v v v v rare, but there's one restaurant near me where they serve steak tartare - they even make it up in front of you at your table. Divine, absolute heaven on a plate :drool:

I used to eat steak rare, but as I have aged my tastes have moved toward a slightly more cooked steak. Bit tricky when I go to France though, as they think that any oneone who eats meat that is not pink is a heathen!

orangebird
20-04-2005, 17:04
I used to eat steak rare, but as I have aged my tastes have moved toward a slightly more cooked steak. Bit tricky when I go to France though, as they think that any oneone who eats meat that is not pink is a heathen!

Maybe I should move to France then, cos I agree. :p:

me283
20-04-2005, 17:07
Maybe I should move to France then, cos I agree. :p:

We may well meet out there... or should that be meat? :)

Paulie
20-04-2005, 17:20
Bah........... cooked in the middle is how i like it.

andyl
20-04-2005, 17:30
:LOL:! I used to run a restaurant. And I reserved the right to refuse to serve customers who ordered a fillet steak well done. Criminal. :nono: Not quite enough to deserve the death penalty, but pretty close ;)

A well done steak is a crime against humanity in itself! Still better to see a diner ordering a well done steak..... than seeing a vegetarian diner (I think I better get me coat).

paulyoung666
20-04-2005, 17:35
A well done steak is a crime against humanity in itself! Still better to see a diner ordering a well done steak..... than seeing a vegetarian diner (I think I better get me coat).

i used to like my steak well done , now i find i prefer it slightly pink in the middle :tu: , dont think i could east it v v v v v v rare though :disturbd:

me283
20-04-2005, 17:36

There's a saying... "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"

Can you get my coat while you're there...;)

Stuart
20-04-2005, 17:42
A good vet would have that up and about in no time ;)

A friend of mine liked his steak very very rare (I think they call it Blue). He always used to joke that he wasn't happy unless the food could walk unaided.

andyl
20-04-2005, 17:48
He always used to joke that he wasn't happy unless the food could walk unaided.

Didn't go for BSE infected cow then?!

Stuart
20-04-2005, 17:49
He always used to joke that he wasn't happy unless the food could walk unaided.

Didn't go for BSE infected cow then?!

Not while I was around.. Lost contact with him actually, so he could well have done..

Graham M
20-04-2005, 17:52
I really dont think youre under any more risk of contracting BSE if u eat Rare steak than if you eat a Cremated Steak. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this thread makes my tastebuds tingle.

allieyoung666
20-04-2005, 20:26
I am so glad I am a veggie!!! As I feel sick!!

:sick: :sick: I am so glad I am a veggie!!! As I feel sick!!

Tuftus
20-04-2005, 20:46
There's a saying... "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"

Can you get my coat while you're there...;)

:D :LOL:

danielf
20-04-2005, 21:56
:sick: :sick: I am so glad I am a veggie!!! As I feel sick!!

If that is what being a veggie does to you, I'm glad I get my daily portion of dead animal... :cool:

Tuftus
20-04-2005, 22:32
If that is what being a veggie does to you, I'm glad I get my daily portion of dead animal... :cool:

Sorry Allie, but you have to laugh at that!!!

:angel:

Gareth
20-04-2005, 22:45

Can you get my coat while you're there...;) :rofl: brilliant. I'd rep you, but for some reason, repping isn't working for me at the moment - no window pops up, but when I get it fixed, you get a green pip for that one :)

gary_580
20-04-2005, 23:50
Tell that to them that started banning any kind of raw food because of either food poisoning or Mad Cow disease..

they banned on the bone steak because of Mad Cow, AFAIK they didnt specify how it had to be cooked

yummmmmmmmm i had Steak Tartare in Paris and WOW i dont even think the mincer was warm. It is good practice that they make it in front of you as you can then see it wasnt minced hours before and left to fester

I like my steak charred on the skin but chilled in the centre

homealone
21-04-2005, 00:36
ok stop it all of you...

this thread is not just about steak & black forest cake

or even what makes you sick - you seem to be sick a lot, allie :angel:

it is about how something in this small country is world class - something we should celebrate, not take the pee out of, but being 'british' we can't cope....

Stuart
21-04-2005, 11:29
ok stop it all of you...

this thread is not just about steak & black forest cake

or even what makes you sick - you seem to be sick a lot, allie :angel:

it is about how something in this small country is world class - something we should celebrate, not take the pee out of, but being 'british' we can't cope....

Agreed.. It's nice that we managed to beat the French in a culinary art..

homealone
21-04-2005, 11:40
Agreed.. It's nice that we managed to beat the French in a culinary art..

:LOL: it's nice we beat the French at anything, Stu - that is 'tongue in cheek' btw, I don't wish to offend any French people ;) - however the fact I have a French chef as a colleague goes some way to explain my personal delight at this result :)