PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Doesn't Work

Musicman
19-04-2005, 12:39
:mad: :mad:
Our broadband connection went down yesterday, maybe due to the cable being moved by workman.

My wife tried to book a call, but failed (via Indian Call Centre?)

I managed to talk to someone 3 hours later, who agreed there was a problem, and requested an engineer to call this morning. However the engineer phoned whilst my wife was out to say that he could not come until tomorrow, which is unacceptable (There were workman at the property at the time)

I contact someone to request an appoitment this afternoon, but they have no knowledge or record of the engineers visit being scheduled.

I urgently need to rectify this problem, does anyone know how to arrange for an engineer to come this pm.

Chris W
19-04-2005, 12:40
you would have been offered the next available appointment- so if that is tomorrow then that is when it has to be i'm afraid.

Musicman
19-04-2005, 12:43
you would have been offered the next available appointment- so if that is tomorrow then that is when it has to be i'm afraid.

But why leave it until half an hour before the latest you should be there to cancel and give the next day, surely they should roll over into the PM

Neil
19-04-2005, 12:44

I think it's more the "no note of any such conversation/installation" that is the issue here MB.

orangebird
19-04-2005, 12:46
:mad: :mad:
Our broadband connection went down yesterday, maybe due to the cable being moved by workman.

My wife tried to book a call, but failed (via Indian Call Centre?)

I managed to talk to someone 3 hours later, who agreed there was a problem, and requested an engineer to call this morning. However the engineer phoned whilst my wife was out to say that he could not come until tomorrow, which is unacceptable (There were workman at the property at the time)

I contact someone to request an appoitment this afternoon, but they have no knowledge or record of the engineers visit being scheduled.

I urgently need to rectify this problem, does anyone know how to arrange for an engineer to come this pm.

When you say 'workman', do you mean ntl contractors?

Neil
19-04-2005, 12:46

Try one of the people listed here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=28).

Musicman
19-04-2005, 13:03
When you say 'workman', do you mean ntl contractors?

No we are having a new driveway put in, and the cable has become exposed as a result. There appears no damage to the co-axial cable between where it leaves the conduit and the house. However where the cable enters the property, it has been taked over a low wall and bent at 90 deg (not a good idea for these cables). However the seperate phone line is working

I think it's more the "no note of any such conversation/installation" that is the issue here MB.

there is a note booked in at faults, which the Indian call centre cannot access, so I am informed by someone called Jack who I spoke to half an hour ago.

Anyway it appears that someone is supposed to come this afternoon to look at it, so we shall see.

Neil
19-04-2005, 13:08
No we are having a new driveway put in, and the cable has become exposed as a result. There appears no damage to the co-axial cable between where it leaves the conduit and the house. However where the cable enters the property, it has been taked over a low wall and bent at 90 deg (not a good idea for these cables). However the seperate phone line is working

there is a note booked in at faults, which the Indian call centre cannot access, so I am informed by someone called Jack who I spoke to half an hour ago.

Anyway it appears that someone is supposed to come this afternoon to look at it, so we shall see.

With respect-if the construction workers caused this issue, why are you getting on to ntl? :confused:

Surely your 'beef' is with the construction company? :shrug:

ian@huth
19-04-2005, 13:15
What telephone number did you call to report the Fault? AFAIK only technical support uses Indian call centres so maybe you have been phoning the wrong number.

Musicman
19-04-2005, 13:27
What telephone number did you call to report the Fault? AFAIK only technical support uses Indian call centres so maybe you have been phoning the wrong number.

We went via dialling 150, which may of been wrong, but we talked to the Indian call Centre yesterday, then I spoke to someone from the UK, then I spoke to the Indians again today, so it appears pot luck who you speak to.

With respect-if the construction workers caused this issue, why are you getting on to ntl? :confused:

Surely your 'beef' is with the construction company? :shrug:

My 'beef' was with NTL, due to then saying they were sending someone around today, then cancelling, then not being able to talk to someone at first who could help me!

Chris W
19-04-2005, 13:28
officially you should be charged by ntl for the damage to the cabling... you would then have to take this up with the workmen yourself.

If you haven't been charged then you are lucky.

orangebird
19-04-2005, 13:30
We went via dialling 150, which may of been wrong, but we talked to the Indian call Centre yesterday, then I spoke to someone from the UK, then I spoke to the Indians again today, so it appears pot luck who you speak to.

My 'beef' was with NTL, due to then saying they were sending someone around today, then cancelling, then not being able to talk to someone at first who could help me!

You can add her as an authority onto your account.

Back to the original 'beef', tbh, two days to get an engineer out isn't that bad (although you shouldn't have been mucked about, granted.. ).

Musicman
19-04-2005, 13:31
officially you should be charged by ntl for the damage to the cabling... you would then have to take this up with the workmen yourself.

If you haven't been charged then you are lucky.

Yes I agree, that I do not believe that will be a problem, in fact the foreman has already said to pass the bill to him, if there is one. Though if the fault is where I believe it is, where it comes onto my property, I will have a problem, as it will be due to bad installation.

We will have to wait and see what the engineer says!

Neil
19-04-2005, 13:38
the foreman has already said to pass the bill to him, if there is one.
Good luck with that! :erm:

Musicman
19-04-2005, 13:41
Back to the original 'beef', tbh, two days to get an engineer out isn't that bad (although you shouldn't have been mucked about, granted.. ).

That was my problem, being mucked about, if they had said two days, I wouldn't of been happy, especially if they failed to turn up then. I just hate being let down when appoitments are made, I could of had to take time off work this morning for the engineer to come!!

orangebird
19-04-2005, 13:44
Yes I agree, that I do not believe that will be a problem, in fact the foreman has already said to pass the bill to him, if there is one.

That might be a little difficult (someone in CS correct please), but I believe that those charges are added onto your account bill.... :erm:

Though if the fault is where I believe it is, where it comes onto my property, I will have a problem, as it will be due to bad installation.

We will have to wait and see what the engineer says!

That's simple, ntl will sort that out. Good luck, whichever way it goes! :)

Musicman
19-04-2005, 13:54
Good luck with that! :erm:

Well he does won the company, and I owe him for the work, so I will just knock it off what I owe him!!

Chris W
19-04-2005, 14:14
That might be a little difficult (someone in CS correct please), but I believe that those charges are added onto your account bill.... :erm:

correct :tu:

although the OP would know whether or not it is a chargable booking, as they would have been informed at the time it is done. I presume as it hasn't been mentioned there is no charge in this case.

Musicman
20-04-2005, 10:31
Well the engineer called round yesterday, took one look at where the cable goes through the brick wall (6 inches above the pavement) at a right angle, pulled the cable back through and he instantly saw that the cable was damaged at this point.

I suspect, the vibration due to the work will of caused the damage as a result of bad installation, as there is no way, that moving the cable around a bit would of stripped off the outer sheath of the cable.

However there was no mention of any charge for the replacement cable. This is happening Friday, and I assume that they pull the new cable through the conduit, using the old cable, as the conduit will be buried by then.

purenuman
20-04-2005, 10:57
.................and I assume that they pull the new cable through the conduit, using the old cable, as the conduit will be buried by then.

No! They will dig up your new driveway :Yikes: :angel:

:rofl:

ian@huth
20-04-2005, 11:05
Well the engineer called round yesterday, took one look at where the cable goes through the brick wall (6 inches above the pavement) at a right angle, pulled the cable back through and he instantly saw that the cable was damaged at this point.

I suspect, the vibration due to the work will of caused the damage as a result of bad installation, as there is no way, that moving the cable around a bit would of stripped off the outer sheath of the cable.

However there was no mention of any charge for the replacement cable. This is happening Friday, and I assume that they pull the new cable through the conduit, using the old cable, as the conduit will be buried by then.If the cable is damaged just as it goes through the house wall is that after the brown (or whatever colour) box normally fitted on the outside wall. I can't see why the engineer couldn't have sorted it there and then as it should only be a short cable length from the brown box to the internal white box.

Musicman
20-04-2005, 11:30
No! They will dig up your new driveway :Yikes: :angel:

:rofl:

Well I will be off to ADSL world then :Yikes: :angel: ;) ;)

If the cable is damaged just as it goes through the house wall is that after the brown (or whatever colour) box normally fitted on the outside wall. I can't see why the engineer couldn't have sorted it there and then as it should only be a short cable length from the brown box to the internal white box.

No the cable is damaged, just as it enters the boundary of my property just above the access thingymejig in the pavement!

Well I was also not impressed with the box on the outside of the house, was not impressed that the wires are free to fall out of it, with the slightest pull!