PDA

View Full Version : Broadband only work with USB not Ethernet

chandleo
18-04-2005, 13:07
Hi

Moved house last week so transferred my ntl services with me, was told to visit a site in order to do the moving process (update my cable modem etc) when suddenly I ended up with This page can not be displayed without it even trying to find the web site (or any other web site)

So Instead I connected up the cable modem via USB instead and the internet works perfectly, but now still refuses to work via Ethernet (which I really need to use so I can connect the box up to my wireless router, and with only having a short ntl cable coming into the house not being able to my wireless isn't really an option!!!)

Anyone got any suggestions?

zovat
18-04-2005, 13:22
Hi

Moved house last week so transferred my ntl services with me, was told to visit a site in order to do the moving process (update my cable modem etc) when suddenly I ended up with This page can not be displayed without it even trying to find the web site (or any other web site)

So Instead I connected up the cable modem via USB instead and the internet works perfectly, but now still refuses to work via Ethernet (which I really need to use so I can connect the box up to my wireless router, and with only having a short ntl cable coming into the house not being able to my wireless isn't really an option!!!)

Anyone got any suggestions?
Hi and :welcome: to the site..

Is this an existing CM from your old house ?

It may be that the CM is not registering the MAC correctly - have you tried going to http://autoreg.autoregister.net/ to register it (it may not need doing, but is normally worth a try).

Alternatively, try switching off the CM, and leave it off for a couple of minutes - then connect the PC to the ethernet port and boot first the CM, then the PC.

If that does not help - post again, and I'm sure one of the NTL team who post here will be along shortly ;)

rdhw
18-04-2005, 17:01
I connected up the cable modem via USB instead and the internet works perfectly, but now still refuses to work via EthernetTo transfer from USB to ethernet, you must reboot the cable modem (power off and on again).

Chris W
18-04-2005, 17:51
do you get the ethernet light on on the modem?

what ip address do you get when connecting via ethernet?

chandleo
19-04-2005, 10:00
Ah, Thanks a million i'm all working again!!!

Turns out it wasn't registering my mac address properly, so (as suggested above) I went through the autoreg.register.net above and now it all works,

Thank you again

Steve