PDA

View Full Version : Connection to Webspace Keeps Dropping Out

Paradox26
16-04-2005, 12:03
Hi All, must say, nice forum.
I have a problem when uploading to my webspace. While uploading folders like _themes (from frontpage) it just stops uploading after sometime and then it comes up with an error saying that the connection to the server was reset. This has been happening for the past two days. :( . Ive tried ftp from windows and CoffeeCup FTP but the problem remains.
Could someone please help me or give me a link to somehwhere I could find help (Im a bit of an FTP n00b :p: )

Thanks

homealone
16-04-2005, 12:43
:welcome: to Cable Forum, Sahil

sounds weird that it has been working, but is now playing up.

You mention Frontpage - NTL webspace is not compatible with Frontpage 'extensions' (or any 'server side' stuff) - is it possible it could be related to that?

Paradox26
16-04-2005, 14:40
Possibly! But I am sure that ive uploaded onto it before. Its stops usually when uploading gif images for buttons and stuff like that.
Could you recommend anyother such software that is freeware and compatible with ntl. Its a bit silly though that ntl: doesnt support frontpage as loads of people would probably have office with frontpage. (its also quite easy to use)

Ok, seems it was my firewall. Everything working fine now, although under construction. Thanx for the help.

homealone
16-04-2005, 14:44
Possibly! But I am sure that ive uploaded onto it before. Its stops usually when uploading gif images for buttons and stuff like that.
Could you recommend anyother such software that is freeware and compatible with ntl. Its a bit silly though that ntl: doesnt support frontpage as loads of people would probably have office with frontpage. (its also quite easy to use)

I havn't used Frontpage, myself, but as far as I know any standard html code it produces will be ok, it is only if it includes calls to external scripts that problems arise

the following won't work without the extensions

* Forms processing
* Themes
* Search form
* Bulletin board
* Security
* The hit counter
* SubWebs
* Database features

- unfortunately ntl webspace doesn't support cgi or perl scripting either, although javascript embedded in the html is ok as far as I know.

I'm still a bit puzzled though, as you said you had tried to ftp the files independent of frontpage, so a silly question - you havn't run out of space on the site, have you? It is 55MB maximum.

<edit> just seen your update - glad you got it sorted :tu:

Rohan
16-04-2005, 14:47
I use coreftp to upload to my NTL webspace, it works perfectly for me.

http://www.coreftp.com/