PDA

View Full Version : Merged: NTL DNS issues?

whiteswan
14-04-2005, 09:52
Hi

Since yesterday I have been able to access certain sites...........

Made a few phone calls to friends (who r not on ntl) and they can access them fine.

This is one of them (its a friends pub)

www.thetophouse.com

Can anybody else on NTL access that site or is it specific to me?

Thanks

Dave, Oldham UK.

dilli-theclaw
14-04-2005, 09:53
I can't get it here....

sandy/bedfordshire

STONEISLAND
14-04-2005, 09:54
I can

whiteswan
14-04-2005, 10:11
Hi

Why would some be able to acccess it and others not?

Sorry im not that technical.............

Dave, Oldham UK.

ntluser
14-04-2005, 10:50
Hi

Since yesterday I have been able to access certain sites...........

Made a few phone calls to friends (who r not on ntl) and they can access them fine.

This is one of them (its a friends pub)

www.thetophouse.com

Can anybody else on NTL access that site or is it specific to me?

Thanks

Dave, Oldham UK.

I can't get it either but then the server on which the site is located could be down or only on at certain times or simply off.

Roy MM
14-04-2005, 10:54
Could be firefox or IE problem, i'm on FF and can't get on it, see what other browsers report.

ntluser
14-04-2005, 10:57
Could be firefox or IE problem, i'm on FF and can't get on it, see what other browsers report.

Have tried the site using Internet Explorer and Mozilla but still can't access it.

Chris
14-04-2005, 10:57
Using FF and I can see it just fine. :)

dilli-theclaw
14-04-2005, 11:00
I've tried it on IE FF and Opera and can't see it.....

I wonder if I'm missing a lot?

ian@huth
14-04-2005, 11:05
Try specifying a proxy.

whiteswan
14-04-2005, 11:06
Hi

I have tried changing my proxy server to no avail..............

Dave, Oldham UK.

iadom
14-04-2005, 11:09
Nope, cannot get to it from here. in Shaw/Oldham, using IE .

Chris
14-04-2005, 11:10
Hi

I have tried changing my proxy server to no avail..............

Dave, Oldham UK.

Hmm... DNS? Do you know if they've moved the site to a different host in the last day or so?

whiteswan
14-04-2005, 11:11
sKUNK4U / Chris T

Which proxy are you using?

Dave, Oldham.

Hi

No its defo not moved to a different host in the past day or two.

Dave

Chris
14-04-2005, 11:17
sKUNK4U / Chris T

Which proxy are you using?

Dave, Oldham.

I'm at work Dave, non-NTL.

Halcyon
14-04-2005, 11:21
Working fine here from Uni.

homealone
14-04-2005, 11:32
clicking on the link causes my browser to stop responding. That is using Internet Explorer via a corporate NTL connection.

whiteswan
14-04-2005, 11:51
So just to clarify..............

Can anybody who is on a home ntl bb connection access this site.....?

Just nipped next door they have bt openworld and its working fine.

Dave, Oldham UK.

jeffcrouch
14-04-2005, 12:09
nope - on ntl bb in nottingham - no joy.

when did the site go live??

Chris
14-04-2005, 12:16
Try specifying a proxy.

But can you actually see it yourself Ian?

Mal
14-04-2005, 12:35
nope - on ntl bb in nottingham - no joy.

when did the site go live??
The site is up, as I can access it here at work.

TopHouse
14-04-2005, 12:39
Hi,

I'm the owner of the site Dave is referring to, ie www.thetophouse.com (http://www.thetophouse.com) I'ts the home page of my pub in Oldham, it's a very popular site with an even more popular forum. A few of the members have emailed me an said they're just getting "page not found" errors. ALL those people are on NTL. The site is well established and hasn't changed servers etc so there are no propogation issues. I can only put it down to there being a DNS problem with NTL, what puzzles me though is that at least one person has posted in this forum that he got in with firefox! Is it possible this user is also using alternative dns settings?

Anyone with any theories on this one? It started yesterday, early evening. Dave has been in touch with me and told me he has now raised an issue with NTL's fault center.

Forgot to mention, non NTL users are having no problems with the site whatsoever.

Could someone please try the following and see if it works for them, try thetophouse.co.uk and oldhamlive.com (I've omitted the www so that it doesn't appear that I'm spamming your forum)

Many thanks.

Dion
admin
thetophouse.com

dilli-theclaw
14-04-2005, 12:41
Hi,

I'm the owner of the site Dave is referring to, ie www.thetophouse.com (http://www.thetophouse.com) I'ts the home page of my pub in Oldham, it's a very popular site with an even more popular forum. A few of the members have emailed me an said they're just getting "page not found" errors. ALL those people are on NTL. The site is well established and hasn't changed servers etc so there are no propogation issues. I can only put it down to there being a DNS problem with NTL, what puzzles me though is that at least one person has posted in this forum that he got in with firefox! Is it possible this user is also using alternative dns settings?

Anyone with any theories on this one? It started yesterday, early evening. Dave has been in touch with me and told me he has now raised an issue with NTL's fault center.

Forgot to mention, non NTL users are having no problems with the site whatsoever.

Could someone please try the following and see if it works for them, try thetophouse.co.uk and oldhamlive.com (I've omitted the www so that it doesn't appear that I'm spamming your forum)

Many thanks.

Dion
admin
thetophouse.com

Neither of those two links above work here in Sandy/Bedfordshire.

Paulie
14-04-2005, 12:47
All i get is an alert window pop up stating that "This document contains no data"

RazorD
14-04-2005, 12:52
It seems my Server ISP in america started screwing around with proxies and stuff yesterday, and now i cant access my site from inside NTL's network, making me think the two proxies are conflicting in some way.

Could some one please try to connect to www.gladdy.co.uk (http://www.gladdy.co.uk) and tell me if it works? (Someone on NTL :P)

-Raz

monkey2468
14-04-2005, 12:52
I get a DNS time out error.....

Raistlin
14-04-2005, 12:58
Nope, not working here:

RazorD
14-04-2005, 12:58
Okies - i had a friend on NTL test, and he can't access.. So i need your guys advise on what next.

You can telnet to any port, 110 (pop), 25 (smtp) or 80 (web) perfectly, and you can send commands, and login and such, but, programs like internet explorer, and outlook and firefox are unable to connect.

Any ideas?

TopHouse
14-04-2005, 13:01
Can someone please try a tracert to www.thetophouse.com (http://www.thetophouse.com)

ian@huth
But can you actually see it yourself Ian?No I can't. If you do a WHOIS you get unable to validate IP.

allanprg
No I can't get the site either. Tried FF and IE. And tried several proxies. :(

monkey2468
14-04-2005, 13:04
Can someone please try a tracert to www.thetophouse.com (http://www.thetophouse.com)

GET 'UNABLE TO RESOLVE' ERROR

allanprg
14-04-2005, 13:10
Just tried it on a dialup non ntl. Works on that. Nice site. ;)

Chris
14-04-2005, 13:12
No I can't. If you do a WHOIS you get unable to validate IP.

Well, I can see everyone's proxy and IP details ... suffice it to say that everyone having a problem is using an NTL connection. I would say there is a problem within their network.

Presumably then it could still be a DNS issue, if one of their servers has gone down? Only way to test that would be for someone to specify a public non-NTL DNS in their settings and see if that clears it up.

Nemesis
14-04-2005, 13:14
Only way to test that would be for someone to specify a public non-NTL DNS in their settings and see if that clears it up.

I do that ALL the time anyway ;)

Chris
14-04-2005, 13:14

Heh, Can't trace from behind my corporate firewall.

Your site then is it? :)

philquinney
14-04-2005, 13:15
Hey everyone:

It's a DNS Problem. I'm using NTL's DNS and nslookup gives this:

Note: nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead. Run nslookup with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
Server: 194.168.4.100
Address: 194.168.4.100#53

** server can't find www.thetophouse.com: SERVFAIL

From my other network (non ntl) it resolves fine.

Phil.

Chris
14-04-2005, 13:17
I do that ALL the time anyway ;)

I used to have a very nice DNS specified that markedly sped up web page access on my NTL Broadband ... but then whoever owned it decided it shouldn't be public any more and it no longer worked for me. :(

Still, now I'm back on dial-up the whole world moves at snail's pace so it doesn't matter any more.

Raistlin
14-04-2005, 13:19
Have you tried specifying a different proxy explicitly from within your browser settings?

Actually, forget that, stupid idea..... Sorry

RazorD
14-04-2005, 13:23
Yeh, no matter how many i try none can connect...

I'm a fairly advanced computer user, infact, im a network admin for web host, but as far as i can see, theres nothing i can change, or run to see what the problem is here.

I've tried contacting the server provider, who, typically, haven't got back to me. - The problem is, some other server at the isp are fine, and i can view them, which confuses me even more!

Chris
14-04-2005, 13:29
Hmm, second thread today complaining about sites you can't get to from within NTL. Coincidence, or a wider problem, I wonder?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=27227

nbubba
14-04-2005, 13:30
DNS issue? How do the tracerts compare with and without DNS resolution to the domain or IP address? I.e. (although you probably know anyway) "tracert gladdy.co.uk" "tracert -d gladdy.co.uk" "tracert 66.197.154.165" and "tracert -d 66.197.154.165"

TopHouse
14-04-2005, 13:31
Just been on the phone with Dave who has been giving NTHell some grief, they have tried to tell him that his ip is banned from the server. Not true.

Best option, move to Zen Broadband ;)

RazorD
14-04-2005, 13:33
Ahha - think you could be right - That site is hosting on a burst server, too..

Seems NTL and Burst aren't getting on.

RazorD
14-04-2005, 13:35
TopHouse...

I'm having the same problem with my domains, on my server inside Burst (which yours is: tracert 66.96.250.90 for the info) - Seems NTL and Burst aren't getting along today, my thread at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=448943 says my problem. I kinda blame burst though - they have been fiddling with the network, adding proxies and things, so i reckon NTL's proxy is clashing with Bursts.

ian@huth
14-04-2005, 13:37
The ip of www.thetophouse.co.uk is 66.96.250.90 but you get a 403 access denied error if you try to go to the site using this from NTL connection. Sounds like one of the problems is that the site is detecting the ip address of the proxy rather than the individual and refusing access.

whiteswan
14-04-2005, 13:37
Hi

Yep just got off phone with NTL who say TopHouse have banned my ip - this aint true.

Dont really know what to do now................

Any suggestions?

Apart from move to Zen Broadband!

Dave, Oldham UK.

Chris
14-04-2005, 13:39
OK, it looks like we have two symptoms of the same problem here, so threads merged.

It appears the best NTL's call centre chappies have managed so far is to suggest a customer's IP has been banned from the server in question. Can anyone take this further?

RazorD
14-04-2005, 13:42
i can "telnet gladdy.co.uk 110" fine, but outlook just cant connect to it... But, if i put the ip into outlook, rather than mail.gladdy.co.uk, it works fine... This is really odd :(

Starting to look like it is DNS - any suggestions on why?

I run the server, and every aspect of it ;) The only possible thing which could be blocked is burst's DoS software has blocked all ntl access, for some reason - but thats disproven by the fact you can access stuff by the IP address...

ian@huth
14-04-2005, 13:42
Hi

Yep just got off phone with NTL who say TopHouse have banned my ip - this aint true.

Dont really know what to do now................

Any suggestions?

Apart from move to Zen Broadband!

Dave, Oldham UK.The problem is with the sites host who need to alter their ip checking to pick up the requestors ip address and not the ip address of the proxy they are being routed through.

nbubba
14-04-2005, 13:50
i can "telnet gladdy.co.uk 110" fine, but outlook just cant connect to it... But, if i put the ip into outlook, rather than mail.gladdy.co.uk, it works fine... This is really odd :(

Starting to look like it is DNS - any suggestions on why?

I run the server, and every aspect of it ;) The only possible thing which could be blocked is burst's DoS software has blocked all ntl access, for some reason - but thats disproven by the fact you can access stuff by the IP address...

What IP address appears in your command prompt if you type "tracert gladdy.co.uk"? Mine shows 66.197.154.165 but I'm on ADSL at the moment.

You should be able to confirm whether Burst is blocking NTL for sure by altering your local hosts file (windows system32 folder\drivers\etc\hosts) and adding the line

66.197.154.165 gladdy.co.uk

You may need to add your gladdymedia address too. If that gets through it will rule out Burst doing the blocking. If the tracert IP address shows something different than I've posted or that shown on dnsreport.com then that indicates DNS problem.

TopHouse
14-04-2005, 13:58
The ip of www.thetophouse.co.uk (http://www.thetophouse.co.uk/) is 66.96.250.90 but you get a 403 access denied error if you try to go to the site using this from NTL connection.

It does that for me also with the ip, no idea why, I'm not that technical, but not being on NTL I can get it fine just going in the normal way.

RazorD
14-04-2005, 14:06
I'm added it to hosts, and it still doesnt work.. Guess burst are blocking them, for some reason.

ian@huth
14-04-2005, 14:21
Just been trying a few random NTL proxies and I can connect to the site using some of them dbln-cache-1.server.ntli.net being one.

It definitely looks like the host site is picking up proxy IPs and blocking them.

The problem is that if several members try the same proxy which is working at the moment may render it unusable in the future until the host sorts the issue out.

RazorD
14-04-2005, 14:26
I've spoken to burst, who have said they recently turned up their Anti-DoS gear, which maybe is why its becoming blocked? - If they have loads of connections from NTL proxies, because everyone of us uses that... I guess its picking it up as an attack, and blocking it :(

Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Chris
14-04-2005, 14:37
Thread title altered subtly seeing as we're no longer so certain. :D

Ignition
14-04-2005, 14:40
clicking on the link causes my browser to stop responding. That is using Internet Explorer via a corporate NTL connection.

I freaked momentarily then realised you were referring to an NTL DIA / leased line, phew, thought you'd moved over to the dark side.

homealone
14-04-2005, 14:44
I freaked momentarily then realised you were referring to an NTL DIA / leased line, phew, thought you'd moved over to the dark side.

become a colleague, you mean ;)

nah, you're right, its the leased line at work :D

allanprg
14-04-2005, 14:45
Just been trying a few random NTL proxies and I can connect to the site using some of them dbln-cache-1.server.ntli.net being one.

It definitely looks like the host site is picking up proxy IPs and blocking them.

The problem is that if several members try the same proxy which is working at the moment may render it unusable in the future until the host sorts the issue out.

Yes I used the same proxy and it works alright. Haven't tried any others yet.

allanprg
14-04-2005, 15:27
The Huddersfield proxies and Swansea work. ;)

whiteswan
14-04-2005, 17:01
Thanks for everybodys help on this one...............

I am now back at the bar in theTophouse.com !!

Dave, Oldham UK.

Mal
14-04-2005, 17:39
I just tried now at home and tophouse works.

TopHouse
14-04-2005, 17:48
I just tried now at home and tophouse works.

Don't look for too long, you'll become addicted and become a regular visitor. I'm already ending each month by exceeding my bandwidth limit! It's doing about 6.5 gig a month at the mo!

Many thanks for the advice offered by you guys on here, appreciate it, about 30 of my regulars are with NTHell and couldn't get in.

Dion
admin
www.thetophouse.com (http://www.thetophouse.com)

Paul
14-04-2005, 18:09
I'm added it to hosts, and it still doesnt work.. Guess burst are blocking them, for some reason.FYI: If you are on ntl, adding entries to your hosts file will make no difference to accessing web sites, since the http requests are intercepted by ntl, and routed to the correct server by the proxy servers (using their dns).

allanprg
14-04-2005, 18:28
Yes seems to be working normaly now. So hopefully no more proxy issues. :)

poolking
14-04-2005, 19:21
No probs at this time in stafford, no proxy specified. :)

RazorD
14-04-2005, 19:43
Burst have said the issue has been worked around until they get a proper fix from their Anti-DoS provider. :)

-Raz