PDA

View Full Version : Home Network With Cable.

andymt
14-04-2005, 08:43
I linked my 2 pc's together to make a home network.
:
pc1-connected to cable modem with NIC 1
-connected to pc2 with NIC 2

pc2-Connected to pc1 with NIC1

I have enabled file and printer sharing and it works fine, but, I cannot wirk out how to enable internet connection sharing. I looked on loads of tutorials but none of them seem to work. I wonder whether it is something to do with my isp,
Telewest/blueyonder.

Please help?
Thanks

Paul K
14-04-2005, 09:02
WHat O/S is it? If it is Windows XP did you run the network setup wizard on the PC with 2 NICs? You need to run the wizard on both PCs for it to work. You can find it in the panel on the left of Network Connections or in All Programs, Accessories, communications.

andymt
15-04-2005, 08:52
They are both on xp pro service pack 2.
I ran wizard on pc's, and in internet explorer on client pc, ticked all the right boxes...
The internet stil didn't work though..
Maybe i should download a program like sygate and see it it works, I hear it is good,
But id rather just have it through internet explorer.
Thanks paul!!!

gary_580
15-04-2005, 08:55
Do you have a firewall on the PC thats connected to the modem?

Paul K
15-04-2005, 09:32
What connection settings are you using on the PC not directly connecting to the broadband? As long as the network setup wizard has been given the right information you should only have to make sure that in internet explorer,
tools,
internet options,
connections
you are set to never dial a connection and that your LAN settings are correct (if in doubt on this page leave all boxes empty).

andymt
15-04-2005, 10:01
I use mcafee firewall, but i disabled it and it still dont work.

Yup settings on IE are correct.
I am trying using sygate manager, and it works.
I will pay to register this product so i am not on the trial.
Sygate worls great.

Paul K
15-04-2005, 10:03
I use mcafee firewall, but i disabled it and it still dont work.

Yup settings on IE are correct.
I am trying using sygate manager, and it works.
I will pay to register this product so i am not on the trial.
Sygate worls great.
How did you disable it as some firewalls need to be told to not run at windows startup to be fully disabled. If you don't do this you can actually lock out your connection.

andymt
15-04-2005, 10:04
Hu paul

I clicked on my firewall and clicked disable, but now i changed settings to "trust my local network"
and enabled firewayy and the internet works on pc2!!!
Thanks paul!!
Yaaaaayyyyy!

Paul K
15-04-2005, 10:36
Hu paul

I clicked on my firewall and clicked disable, but now i changed settings to "trust my local network"
and enabled firewayy and the internet works on pc2!!!
Thanks paul!!
Yaaaaayyyyy!
You weren't trusting your local network? :disturbd: Oh well you found the setting to adjust in the end ;) Saves paying for a piece of software you don't need lol.