PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance with NCB??

markmarkymark
13-04-2005, 12:46
Greetings all

I wonder if any of you have been in my situation and can perhaps advise?

I am 34 have have driven since 17. Had loads of cars and during my mid to late 20's had my own insurance - building up to some years with full NCB.

About 5 years ago we went down to one car and my wife took on the insurance. We had plans of 'cycling' the insurance between us but never really got around to it.

Now I need to buy a car i.e. it will be our second car - my wife keeps and uses the first car.

The first car is a Subaru WRX and clearly the insurance is best off with my wife who as full NCB etc.

The question is what about the second car? Obviously I should keep to a sensible insurance group (the WRX is 19E :Yikes: ). I have no claims or convictions and a good driving record.

What are the best insurances companies out there that might give me a good deal? What I am really after is someone who understands 'good driving record' as well as NCB. I fear I am going to be paying mega bucks despite the fact I have been driving for so long?

any thoughts?

MArk

Aragorn
13-04-2005, 12:56
You could either trawl through the various internet sites for quotes (Admiral gave me the best price this year), or given your fairly unique position it may be worth visiting a local broker as they will probably know which companies take account of driving record.

Even so, you are vey unlikely to get a significant discount :(

HTH

Janusian
13-04-2005, 12:58
There are companies who will accept proof of driving on another insurance in the case of husband and wives. You are right though that this is usually available for lower group cars. My advice is contact a broker like A-Plan, as they can have actual dialogue with underwriters rather than sit there tapping answers into a computer (which invariably says no) as the direct writers will do.

Chris W
13-04-2005, 13:34
www.thisismoney.com/insurance and www.confused.com are good starting places- they search a number of companies to get quotes. Bear in mind though you will probably be better off then getting a quote directly from the company mentioned, as i have found this is normally cheaper :)

hth

skyblueheroes
13-04-2005, 13:55
I was in the same boat last year. I was named on the wife's free insurance and we never changed it. So I lost all my NCB when I tried to get insurance about 3/4 years later on my own new car.

The insurance rule is 2 years as a whole for lack of insurance to keep NCB, but Express Ins extends that to three years. Trouble was I was about 2 months over 3 years, so had to start afresh.

bob_builder
13-04-2005, 14:01
Even so, you are vey unlikely to get a significant discount :(
You could well find that companies that do offer you some discount in view of your experience are expensive to start with and you could get the same quote from another company with no discount.

My advice, as others, would be to get as many quotes as possible whether they offer discounts or not and just go for the cheapest.

Scarlett
13-04-2005, 14:13
Well the only advice I can give is make da*n sure you get a car with a UK plate, I have an Irish plate and its amazing how many brokers can't deal with you because of it.

They have these agreements with underwriters so that they can make instant descisions but that come with some restrictions. I'd go with Janusian's suggestion.

allieyoung666
15-04-2005, 07:10
we were with hill house hammond and nobody could beat their quote, it is due again and I think we are going with Prvieldge as we have about 10yrs+ NCB and they seemed to give the best deal. Do not go to Elephant.co.uk they were a waste of space.