PDA

View Full Version : Grid

dilli-theclaw
12-04-2005, 18:16
As part of my eye tests today I had to look out and mark points of distortion on a picture very similar to the attached one.

What I'd like to know is what you make of it...

You need to cover up one eye while looking at the grid and look at the star in the middle.

What I see with my left eye (which is the worst of my two apparently) can only be described as a voyage to trip out city.

My right eye shows a couple of distortions but no where near as bad as my left eye.

paulyoung666
12-04-2005, 18:35
they look fine to me , hope you get sorted soon my mate :tu: :)

dilli-theclaw
12-04-2005, 18:37
they look fine to me , hope you get sorted soon my mate :tu: :)

MMMmmm maybe it only looks screwed if the eye is bad then...

Thanks for that :)

I am having trouble describing what I see when I look - try and imagine lots of little wire frame black holes. That's probably the closest I can get to describing it.

greencreeper
12-04-2005, 18:37
With my right eye I see shading in the form of a helix - like DNA. The grid is slightly fuzzy with the left eye. I'm tired though.

Nemesis
12-04-2005, 18:52
I see squares ..... with both eyes ;)

Bex
12-04-2005, 19:04
i see squares with both eyes when i have my glasses on. without my glasses the lines are all weird with my left eye

dilli-theclaw
12-04-2005, 19:04
i see squares with both eyes when i have my glasses on. without my glasses the lines are all weird with my left eye

Well at least it's not just me then :)

Bex
12-04-2005, 19:10
Well at least it's not just me then :)

did your optician tell you what it meant?

dilli-theclaw
12-04-2005, 19:13
did your optician tell you what it meant?

Apparently it's a symptom (in my case) of my Maculopathy (A diabetic eye condition).

I was at the eye clinic at the local hospital when they were doing the tests.

(More info in my blog).

I was just curious what other people saw when they saw the same thing.

Bex
12-04-2005, 19:14
Apparently it's a symptom (in my case) of my Maculopathy (A diabetic eye condition).

I was at the eye clinic at the local hospital when they were doing the tests.

(More info in my blog).

I was just curious what other people saw when they saw the same thing.

think mines just a case of being too short sighted and having an astigmatism in that eye:erm: i hope:D

snodvan
12-04-2005, 19:20
With glasses on looks fine with both eyes. With glasses off - err, what pattern? All I see is a load of grey fuzz. Suppose that meas the opthalmologist has sorted the glasses out ok.

Halcyon
12-04-2005, 19:29
The little black dot looks like a very small spider.
I see the spider in the middle and then just the squares all around.

paulyoung666
12-04-2005, 19:33
With glasses on looks fine with both eyes. With glasses off - err, what pattern? All I see is a load of grey fuzz. Suppose that meas the opthalmologist has sorted the glasses out ok.

same here :disturbd: :D :D

Graham
12-04-2005, 21:18

Stop watching so much TV then! :D

Mr_love_monkey
12-04-2005, 21:55
I....See....... Dead.......People!

dilli-theclaw
12-04-2005, 21:59

I KNEW there would be someone who was worse than me :) :D

Graham
13-04-2005, 01:01

Put DOWN the GUN and raise your HANDS in the AIR...! ;)

nffc
13-04-2005, 01:07
Looks the same both in my normal right and slightly dodgy left. Hmm...

danielf
13-04-2005, 01:13
The little black dot looks like a very small spider.
I see the spider in the middle and then just the squares all around.

If you're referring to the asterisk (*) in the middle, you may want to have your eyes checked.

Personally, I see a grid of straight lines, with and without glasses.

Nugget
13-04-2005, 10:44

But you were just seeing your reflection - you forgot to turn the monitor on, didn't you?

:p:

Stuart
13-04-2005, 10:50

Put DOWN the GUN and raise your HANDS in the AIR...! ;)

And Wave Em As If You Just Don't Care!

Salu
13-04-2005, 13:02
Diabetics have an increased risk of macular degeneration/retinopathy. The macular is responsible for the sharp sight that you use for reading or close upp work. Diabetics have an increased risk of vascular disease and this includes the eyes. There are varying degrees of macular degeneration and the grid will assist in assessing which you have or not.

Obviously managing your diabetes well will help prevent the gradual decline of the macular. Poor management of diabetes is too common in diabetics unfortunately.

How old are you btw?

dilli-theclaw
13-04-2005, 13:06
Diabetics have an increased risk of macular degeneration/retinopathy. The macular is responsible for the sharp sight that you use for reading or close upp work. Diabetics have an increased risk of vascular disease and this includes the eyes. There are varying degrees of macular degeneration and the grid will assist in assessing which you have or not.

Obviously managing your diabetes well will help prevent the gradual decline of the macular. Poor management of diabetes is too common in diabetics unfortunately.

How old are you btw?

I am 30.

My diabetes is quite well controlled.

Salu
13-04-2005, 13:16
So you are in the young catagory for diabetes and should continue to pay attention to your diabetes as the macular cannot be repaired or the damage reversed but you can slow it down by good management. If you are overweight you should get rid of it as a priority....Obesity is a major risk factor for diabetes and retinopathys

dilli-theclaw
13-04-2005, 14:44
So you are in the young catagory for diabetes and should continue to pay attention to your diabetes as the macular cannot be repaired or the damage reversed but you can slow it down by good management. If you are overweight you should get rid of it as a priority....Obesity is a major risk factor for diabetes and retinopathys

The information I received from the hospital/gp/diabetic clinic was quite detailed.

SMHarman
13-04-2005, 14:54
think mines just a case of being too short sighted and having an astigmatism in that eye:erm: i hope:D
The astimatism will cause the lines to no longer be straight.

Mr_love_monkey
13-04-2005, 18:51
But you were just seeing your reflection - you forgot to turn the monitor on, didn't you?

:p:
I didn't think I looked _that_ bad :)

Salu
14-04-2005, 10:31
The astimatism will cause the lines to no longer be straight.

I should have mentioned that seeing distortions to the grid can be caused be many other conditions other than the maculopathys that we have discussed. Obviously seeing an optomotrist would be a good starting point if you do see any distortion...

dilli-theclaw
28-04-2005, 20:38
I am 30.

My diabetes is quite well controlled.

.....at least I thought it was.

I went for some more blood tests this morning.

The hospital just called me to say that my BS is 27!!! Nice.

So my machine is broken - and They are 'concerned'

I have to make sure I get myself to the Dr's 1st thing :(

What next eh? :(

edit - i just did a reading with my machine and it puts me at 4.7 mmol/l GRRR

homealone
28-04-2005, 21:47
.....at least I thought it was.

I went for some more blood tests this morning.

The hospital just called me to say that my BS is 27!!! Nice.

So my machine is broken - and They are 'concerned'

I have to make sure I get myself to the Dr's 1st thing :(

What next eh? :(

shirley you can get standard glucose solutions to test the calibration of your machine????

less than 7 before a meal is good, I read, so you are well high...

nffc
28-04-2005, 21:50

That's fricking high, esp as glucose has a high MW.

dilli-theclaw
28-04-2005, 21:53
shirley you can get standard glucose solutions to test the calibration of your machine????

Getting the solution - and knowing I need it are two seperate things. I can get it but I didn't know I needed to :(. Apart from being a little tired I don't feel that bad.

Anyway I'll no doubt by a new one in the morning when I've been to the dr.

less than 7 before a meal is good, I read, so you are well high...

Yup - Must be for the hospital to call me direct I guess.

That's fricking high, esp as glucose has a high MW.

4.7 is ok - but if my machine is reading 4.7 and it's actually 27 I guess I may need a new one.

homealone
28-04-2005, 22:40
Getting the solution - and knowing I need it are two seperate things. I can get it but I didn't know I needed to :(. Apart from being a little tired I don't feel that bad.

Anyway I'll no doubt by a new one in the morning when I've been to the dr.

Yup - Must be for the hospital to call me direct I guess.

glad you don't feel so bad, but it was a close call - I had a shock when I found I had blood pressure 190/140, the nurse looked at me like how come I was still alive ;)

greencreeper
28-04-2005, 23:26
Is there an age when you should start being "measured"? My family history, plus other social factors, makes it unlikely I'll see 60 :(

dilli-theclaw
28-04-2005, 23:29
Is there an age when you should start being "measured"? My family history, plus other social factors, makes it unlikely I'll see 60 :(

Go into lloyds pharmacy (if you have them near you) they will test you for free. Or failing that I'd ask your dr and explain your situation.

greencreeper
28-04-2005, 23:36
Go into lloyds pharmacy (if you have them near you) they will test you for free. Or failing that I'd ask your dr and explain your situation.
Noted - ta :)

My gran's heart packed in - drowned in her own body fluids basically. I can think of better ways of going. My dad is heading the same way. Maternal side of the family is as tough as old boots though - mining for you. Deaf as a gate post though. Suppose there'll come a time when my BP is in PSI and my arteries look like the inside of a old radiator. God I'm depressed now :cry: