PDA

View Full Version : ukonline launch £9.99 broadband no cap

Chrysalis
12-04-2005, 14:24
ukonline have launched 512kbit broadband for £9.99 which has no cap, this is a indication of how much bandwidth really does cost when BT is removed from the equation.

News source http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=2194

Chris W
12-04-2005, 14:31
sounds like a good deal....

only part that puts me off is:

You acknowledge and agree that we run port-blocking on all of our Broadband Services in order to maintain quality of service for all of our customers, so you will not be able to run a mail or web server. We currently block ports 25, 80, 8080 and 3128.

ian@huth
12-04-2005, 14:34
ukonline have launched 512kbit broadband for £9.99 which has no cap, this is a indication of how much bandwidth really does cost when BT is removed from the equation.

News source http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=2194I can remember just a few years ago that supermarkets were selling loaves of bread at under 10p each. That didn't mean that it was an indication of how much it actually costs to bake, wrap, deliver and sell a loaf of bread and make a profit on it.

Have you stopped to think that this may be a massive loss leader to tempt customers onto their service and then rely on inertia to keep them there when they increase the prices and introduce usage guidelines in the not too distant future.

No ISP can sustain such a price particularly when giving cut price (£25) setup and a free ADSL modem.

jtwn
12-04-2005, 14:40
Thats a fair point, but look at various other countries, where those prices are the norm?

scrotnig
12-04-2005, 14:51
Thats a fair point, but look at various other countries, where those prices are the norm?
No point comparing this country with others, the technologies and market conditions are totally different.

ian@huth
12-04-2005, 14:53
Thats a fair point, but look at various other countries, where those prices are the norm?But we don't live in other countries, we live here.

I can just imagine members posting on forums in other parts of the world who are saying that their broadband prices are an absolute rip off and quoting the fact that it only costs £9.99 in the UK.

Hans Gruber
12-04-2005, 15:51
I can remember just a few years ago that supermarkets were selling loaves of bread at under 10p each. That didn't mean that it was an indication of how much it actually costs to bake, wrap, deliver and sell a loaf of bread and make a profit on it.

Have you stopped to think that this may be a massive loss leader to tempt customers onto their service and then rely on inertia to keep them there when they increase the prices and introduce usage guidelines in the not too distant future.

No ISP can sustain such a price particularly when giving cut price (£25) setup and a free ADSL modem.

Some people won't be happy till we're all capped at 5gb a month and paying £100 for it. Then we'll all be able to sleep easy that the ISPs are pulling in a fair profit.

ian@huth
12-04-2005, 16:10
Some people won't be happy till we're all capped at 5gb a month and paying £100 for it. Then we'll all be able to sleep easy that the ISPs are pulling in a fair profit.
Being realistic isn't being negative. :) :angel:

Chrysalis
12-04-2005, 17:07
Because their isnt BT in the middle inflating bandwidth costs £9.99 is profitable as the average user will use low amounts. Easynet have been in the game long enough to know whats profitable and what isnt.

ian@huth
12-04-2005, 17:16
Because their isnt BT in the middle inflating bandwidth costs £9.99 is profitable as the average user will use low amounts. Easynet have been in the game long enough to know whats profitable and what isnt.Which planet do you live on Chrysalis? Operating loss for the Group declined to £13.9 million (2003 loss of £15.1 million)

Chrysalis
12-04-2005, 17:20
forgot to mention this

Strong cash balance of £40.3 million (H1 2004 £40.1 million).

- On track to turn cash flow positive during the second quarter of 2005
and to turn EBIT positive by the end of the year.

their long term plan is good and they have money in the bank.

Kliro
12-04-2005, 17:25
Where is this service actually available?

ian@huth
12-04-2005, 17:34
forgot to mention this

Strong cash balance of £40.3 million (H1 2004 £40.1 million).

- On track to turn cash flow positive during the second quarter of 2005
and to turn EBIT positive by the end of the year.

their long term plan is good and they have money in the bank.Those are only facts that were in their Balance sheet and do not reflect the new pricing they have just announced. Very hard to change an operating loss of that extent into an operating profit in that timescale with price reductions of that magnitude.

Chrysalis
13-04-2005, 12:56
its not a price reduction its a new product, they still charge 19.99 on ipstream exchanges where BT is involved so it shows its not a loss leader, its just a reflection of not having to pay for inflated costs on bandwidth.

gazzer
25-04-2005, 14:47
UK Online has smashed through the Internet speed barrier with the introduction of our unique 8Mb broadband service. You registered your details on our website recently and weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re delighted to let you know UK Online Broadband 8000 is now available in your area* and you can sign up today.

With 8Mb the possibilities are endless - download music and videos, watch streaming media in real time and get the killer edge for online gaming.

Expand your digital life for only £29.99 a month

Join UK Online Broadband 8000 today and you will benefit from the fastest home Internet connection available in the UK and a massive 500GB monthly download allowance, all supported by outstanding UK based customer support desk, open 24 hours a day.

Free Wireless Ethernet Router when you join before 3rd May 2005

Sign-up now at www.ukonline.net/broadband8 (http://www.ukonline.net/broadband8)
(i'd say this looks impressive)

scrotnig
25-04-2005, 14:56
Not for me...despite living in Manchester, the most any ADSL company can provide me with is 512k. ntl give me up to 3mb, no contest really.

I mean, it's not as if I'm in the back of beyond somewhere. ADSL is a false technology, it's marketed as though everyone can get these amazing speeds when the vast majority can't.

gazzer
25-04-2005, 15:39
hi scrotnig,
i havnt as yet checked out but it sure is nice price considering i am paying £50 for 4mb with telewest at mo lol
hmmm how many extra listeners could i stream to on me radio show lol

Neil
25-04-2005, 15:42
Not for me...despite living in Manchester, the most any ADSL company can provide me with is 512k. ntl give me up to 3mb, no contest really.

I mean, it's not as if I'm in the back of beyond somewhere. ADSL is a false technology, it's marketed as though everyone can get these amazing speeds when the vast majority can't.

How is ADSL a false technology? :confused:

No more false than hiding the fact that you can have a 3MB ntl connection with a download cap.... ;)

ADSL is getting more & more prominent, & (IMO) will really come to the fore this year.

scrotnig
25-04-2005, 16:08
How is ADSL a false technology? :confused:

No more false than hiding the fact that you can have a 3MB ntl connection with a download cap.... ;)

ADSL is getting more & more prominent, & (IMO) will really come to the fore this year.It's false because I keep getting told that I can have these fantastic speeds as I am ADSL enabled, but then i discover I'm not ADSL enabled as much as i was led to believe.

With ntl it's simple...you can have 3mb if you're cabled up for broadband.....you can't be 'a bit' cabled up and find you can only have the old 600k service. But that's exactly what I get told by ADSL companies and it's a sham. It would be better and more honest if they simply told me my exhange was not enabled at all.

If ntl did this there'd be hell to pay on here, but with ADSL I'm supposed to be content with the fact it's an emerging technology? If I lived in the middle of nowhere I could understand it, but I'm less than two miles from Manchester city centre.

It's a pity, because I actually wanted to ditch ntl broadband, but clearly I can't because no comparable service is available.

Chrysalis
25-04-2005, 19:11
You must be on the edge of exchange area, now days if you can only get 512kbit you are quite far from the exchange, eg. anyone who was in the original 512kbit area in 1997 will be able to pick up 8mbit quite easily now on that distance.

Of course the false game can be played either way, I could claim NTL advertise fantastic packages (digital packages) but they not available to me so it must be false technology. :)

Also you forgot to mention not all NTL cabled areas can have broadband, does that also mean false technology?

scrotnig
25-04-2005, 19:17
You must be on the edge of exchange area, now days if you can only get 512kbit you are quite far from the exchange, eg. anyone who was in the original 512kbit area in 1997 will be able to pick up 8mbit quite easily now on that distance.

Of course the false game can be played either way, I could claim NTL advertise fantastic packages (digital packages) but they not available to me so it must be false technology. :)

Also you forgot to mention not all NTL cabled areas can have broadband, does that also mean false technology?If you read my post you'll notice I state 'ntl broadband cabled areas'.

If ntl say you can have broadband, you can have it. Any of it. If someone like UKOnline or Bulldog say I can have broadband, I can only have a speed that they don't actually offer any more. Which means I pay the price for a faster speed, but don't actually get the faster speed. Bulldog, for example, can only offer me a 2mb package for £29.99, except that they 'regret to inform me' that my speed will only actually be 512mb because of the limits of my exchange.

I wonder what the reaction would be if ntl did that?

Ordinary customers are expected somehow to plough this minefield and guess what package they will get and how much they will pay for it. Bulldog was at least honest and told me at ordering that they intended to rip me off, other companies I have tested have craftily not mentioned that my speed will be capped at 512mb despite being happy to sign me up for a 1mb, 2mb, 3mb or faster service. Disgraceful!

Chrysalis
25-04-2005, 19:59
Well thats the beauty of ADSL there is a lot of choice. In your case the best thing to do is sign up to an isp that has a 512kbit package meaning you pay for the same as all the other customer's for the same product.

Neil
25-04-2005, 20:09
It's false because I keep getting told that I can have these fantastic speeds as I am ADSL enabled, but then i discover I'm not ADSL enabled as much as i was led to believe.

'Led to believe' by whom? You are misinterpreting what is available Scrot'.....

No ADSL supplier has ever advertised 8 Meg ADSL for example when the exchange can't even supply it.

It's not as if ntl have ever told a customer they can have something they can't is it? ;)

With ntl it's simple...you can have 3mb if you're cabled up for broadband.....you can't be 'a bit' cabled up and find you can only have the old 600k service. But that's exactly what I get told by ADSL companies and it's a sham. It would be better and more honest if they simply told me my exhange was not enabled at all.
See above-ntl are notorious for offering things they can't provide-BB in London for example. :angel:

If ntl did this there'd be hell to pay on here
They already have-London BB/Caller ID etc.

but with ADSL I'm supposed to be content with the fact it's an emerging technology? If I lived in the middle of nowhere I could understand it, but I'm less than two miles from Manchester city centre.
But still no one is stating they can give you something they can't m8.

It's a pity, because I actually wanted to ditch ntl broadband, but clearly I can't because no comparable service is available.

What do you mean by comparable? It isn't the ISPs fault that your exchange hasn't been upgraded, yet with ntl you can only blame them for offering things they know they can't provide (0800 dial up for ex CoCo customers.....?)

If you read my post you'll notice I state 'ntl broadband cabled areas'.

If ntl say you can have broadband, you can have it. Any of it.
Like in London you mean? ;)

(Sorry-couldn't resist! :D )

scrotnig
25-04-2005, 21:24
I'm not defending ntl here, I am after all looking to find an alternative supplier, out of principle rather than dissatisfaction with the actual service.

But it looks like I'm stuck with them. Well, it doesn't look like it, I actually *am* stuck with them, unless I'm prepared to pay for a 2mb service but only get a 512kb service.

SOSAGES
26-04-2005, 11:24
im leaving ntl for the ukonline chaps i will let u know how i get on :)

Neil
26-04-2005, 12:05
I'm not defending ntl here, I am after all looking to find an alternative supplier, out of principle rather than dissatisfaction with the actual service.

But it looks like I'm stuck with them. Well, it doesn't look like it, I actually *am* stuck with them, unless I'm prepared to pay for a 2mb service but only get a 512kb service.

Scrot...

When was the last time checked DSL availability on your exchange?

Knowing where you are, I'd bery very surprised if all you could get was 512k....

scrotnig
26-04-2005, 12:08
Scrot...

When was the last time checked DSL availability on your exchange?

Knowing where you are, I'd bery very surprised if all you could get was 512k....
Every ADSL company that offers these 4mb/8mb things runs what I presume is the same online check, and most come back with the same message...that 512mb is the max.

Neil
26-04-2005, 12:13
Every ADSL company that offers these 4mb/8mb things runs what I presume is the same online check, and most come back with the same message...that 512mb is the max.

Hmmm-presumption eh? ;)

Have you tried one that doesn't offer the 4/8meg service?

Try www.solo.pipex.net for example....

scrotnig
26-04-2005, 12:19
Hmmm-presumption eh? ;)

Have you tried one that doesn't offer the 4/8meg service?

Try www.solo.pipex.net for example....
Well, it says 'ADSL is available on my line'...so far so good.

It then offers packages up to 2mb. However, others have done this and then you later find out that although they'd cheerfully bill you for 2mb, you'd only actually get 512.

Pipex's check seems to be simply an ADSL availablity check...BT class ADSL as 'available' if you can get at least 512, so whilst this looks promising, I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

I shall contact them and ask for further clarification.

Neil
26-04-2005, 12:30

It then offers packages up to 2mb. However, others have done this and then you later find out that although they'd cheerfully bill you for 2mb, you'd only actually get 512.

That will never happen, no one will bill you for 2 meg & only give you 512k (only ntl-sorry, couldn't resist again!)

Pipex's check seems to be simply an ADSL availablity check...BT class ADSL as 'available' if you can get at least 512, so whilst this looks promising, I'm not counting my chickens just yet.

Whoever you go with will need to pass your application to BT to have the line tested anyway, but as I said-I'd be v surprised if you could only get 512k where you are.

Let us know how you get on. :)

carlingman
26-04-2005, 23:24

Try the test for yourself -

To find the distance you are from your BT exchange you need to have a BT phone active or a very near neighbour with one. From the BT phone dial 17070 then press option 3 (fast test) then press option 1 (fib a bit to say you are authorised) then press option 2 (ring back test). Then put the phone down. A few seconds later you will be called back with information including your distance from the exchange in kilometres.

:D