PDA

View Full Version : Wills

blackthorn
12-04-2005, 09:30
I know it all sounds a bit morbid but I`ve been thinking about this lately due to bad health.
I dont have a great deal of stuff but I would like certain things to go to specific daughters and grandaughters.
What I want to know is, can I just draw up a simple will in say "word" and get a mate to sign it or do I have to go through soliciters and such like.

Chimaera
12-04-2005, 09:42
Always best to go through a solcitor IMHO, they can point out the pitfalls and you will get a professional job done. I think people are more likely to contest a will if it's a 'home made' version - not meaning to be disrespectful to your nearest and dearest here!
I got mine done through the union I belong to (UNISON) although it was a few years ago now, it didn't cost me anything, might be worth enquiring if you belong to a union. I'd advise anyone whatever age to make a will, I was 37 when I did mine. It's just nice to know that all your affairs are in order and my daughters will not have to go through what I did when my Dad died. He didn't make a will, and although his estate was straightforward, it still took almost 2 years to sort out. :(

Ramrod
12-04-2005, 09:51
Funny you should mention it (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=26955&highlight=WHSmiths) :D

As I said, you could just buy a blank will from WHSmiths :)

skyblueheroes
12-04-2005, 10:42
The law of succession states that your spouse will get everything if no will exists. In that case you probably need something to state your wishes for granddaughters and kids etc.

We got ours done free with our HSBC mortgage a couple of years ago. It references my wifes maiden name, but it is still a valid document.

Russ
12-04-2005, 11:17
There's me thinking this was another royal thread :D

Unsubscribing... ;)