PDA

View Full Version : Patio doors

purenuman
11-04-2005, 11:43
My mothers sliding patio doors have finally given up and are beyond repair :shocked:

She can not afford a fitted replacement so it looks like it's down to me :Yikes:

Anybody know where to purchase as cheaply as possible a basic sliding patio door unit (I think it's about 1790x2090)??

Preferably one that is easy to fit.

Any sites you know of with a walk through style "how to" with nice clear diagrams and pics

:D

HELP!!! :Yikes:

Ramrod
11-04-2005, 11:45
Are you sure they are beyond repair? I had my clinic sliding doors runners repaired/replaced and all is well now. You could be surprised by what can be repaired..............

skyblueheroes
11-04-2005, 11:53
I paid £800 for fitted new UPVC double doors that both open (with no middle barrier).

Looks pretty good !

Ramrod
11-04-2005, 12:00
Whats actually wrong with the doors?

purenuman
11-04-2005, 12:04
Are you sure they are beyond repair? I had my clinic sliding doors runners repaired/replaced and all is well now. You could be surprised by what can be repaired..............

Very sure! It has been repaired & repaired & repaired.

It is also looks it's age and has numerous security locks fitted just to make my mother feel it is really shut...

It has gone to meet the choir invisabule [said in best John Cleese voice]...... :D

Whats actually wrong with the doors?

Old and very worn.

They don't open close or lock properly.......

Trust me they are past it.

I paid £800 for fitted new UPVC double doors that both open (with no middle barrier).

Looks pretty good !

And if I can buy and fit a similar item for £300 I'll be saving my mother (or me :D ) £500 that she does not have :tu:

gary_580
11-04-2005, 12:06
Try Wickes

Graham
11-04-2005, 12:19
Screwfix have a set of 1790 x 2090 doors at £449 inc vat, although I have no idea how easy they are to fit, but they may be able to provide you with information.

See http://www.screwfix.com

purenuman
11-04-2005, 12:41
Try Wickes

Thanks!

I forgot about Wickes :dunce:

Just phoned them and they said £308 inc vat for their cheapest :tu:

Now if only I knew what I was doing :D

Screwfix have a set of 1790 x 2090 doors at £449 inc vat, although I have no idea how easy they are to fit, but they may be able to provide you with information.

See http://www.screwfix.com (http://www.screwfix.com/)

Thanks! I found some Frech doors for £389inc vat

skyblueheroes
11-04-2005, 13:00
http://www.swishwindows.co.uk/?OVRAW=patio-doors&OVKEY=patio%20door&OVMTC=standard

http://www.replacementwindow.co.uk/patio-doors.htm?source=overture

purenuman
11-04-2005, 13:34
http://www.swishwindows.co.uk/?OVRAW=patio-doors&OVKEY=patio%20door&OVMTC=standard

http://www.replacementwindow.co.uk/patio-doors.htm?source=overture

Thanks! I'll take a look.

SMHarman
11-04-2005, 13:46
It "should" be as simple as removing the doors / glazing from the existing ones, unscrewing the alu/pvc frame from the wood surround and removing to leave a big hole with a wood frame and then following the instructions with the new one (honest, don't throw that bit of paper away) and screwing it/clipping it in place.

ian@huth
11-04-2005, 14:50
Very sure! It has been repaired & repaired & repaired.

It is also looks it's age and has numerous security locks fitted just to make my mother feel it is really shut...

It has gone to meet the choir invisabule [said in best John Cleese voice]...... :D

Old and very worn.

They don't open close or lock properly.......

Trust me they are past it.

And if I can buy and fit a similar item for £300 I'll be saving my mother (or me :D ) £500 that she does not have :tu:
As Ramrod said, it's possible to repair patio doors that appear to be way past it. I would contact the original fitter of the units if you know who they are to see what they can do. It costs nothing to ask. Are they wooden, aluminium or PVCu? Is it one fixed opener and one slider?

skyblueheroes
11-04-2005, 15:41
The Sun has an advert for B&Q Trade Warehouse for french doors at £199 I think.

paulyoung666
11-04-2005, 15:46
if it is going to be a straight swap then it should be relatively easy , if the size of the old frame and new frame dont match then it could be a different story , preglazed units are going to be a good idea as fitting the glass to the frames can sometimes be very interesting :Yikes: , basically it is going to be a case of taking your time and make sure you RTFM :D :D :D

pop80_uk
11-04-2005, 15:48
Dont forget a support! As the wall may be a supporting wall. With the steel frame of the orginal door acting as a brace to the supporting wall.
Take it out and it may spell trouble!
Get a brace froma hire shop too.
Thanks

Ramrod
11-04-2005, 16:23
As Ramrod said, it's possible to repair patio doors that appear to be way past it. I would contact the original fitter of the units if you know who they are to see what they can do. Don't even need the original fitter......there are people in the yellow pages who just fix these things.

purenuman
11-04-2005, 17:04
It "should" be as simple as removing the doors / glazing from the existing ones, unscrewing the alu/pvc frame from the wood surround and removing to leave a big hole with a wood frame and then following the instructions with the new one.

I hope so.... ;)

ian@huth
11-04-2005, 17:05
Don't even need the original fitter......there are people in the yellow pages who just fix these things.Whilst that is quite true the original supplying company may have spares readily available for the specific patio door installation that was done. It may also be that the sliding door part needs new profile which can be matched by the original fitter.

The one thing to watch if doing it yourself is the thickness of the patio door unit as some units are 4" and others 5". You can have quite a headache if you try to fit a 5" unit in place of a 4" one.

purenuman
11-04-2005, 17:17
As Ramrod said, it's possible to repair patio doors that appear to be way past it. I would contact the original fitter of the units if you know who they are to see what they can do. It costs nothing to ask. Are they wooden, aluminium or PVCu? Is it one fixed opener and one slider?

We've been down that road several times over the last few years.........

Trust me it's dead.

and make sure you RTFM :D :D :D

I will if I get one :D

Dont forget a support! As the wall may be a supporting wall. With the steel frame of the orginal door acting as a brace to the supporting wall.
Take it out and it may spell trouble!
Get a brace froma hire shop too.
Thanks

That is not a problem but thanks for the warning :tu:

Don't even need the original fitter......there are people in the yellow pages who just fix these things.

They are totally past it....

In fact they are *@%$^£ :D

The one thing to watch if doing it yourself is the thickness of the patio door unit as some units are 4" and others 5". You can have quite a headache if you try to fit a 5" unit in place of a 4" one.

Thanks!

These are the things I need to know :tu:

The Sun has an advert for B&Q Trade Warehouse for french doors at £199 I think.

Just checking it out now.....