PDA

View Full Version : New stb has killed BB connection !

Wobbler
09-04-2005, 14:51
This is on behalf of a friend who has lost his conenction after the faulty stb was replaced.
Obviously the new one has a different MAC address and some changes need to be made, but NTL say they can't get the system to reconfigure as some recently applied XP security patch is stopping it !
Whaaaaaaat !
So they are saying that any new customer with a newly-installed fully patched SP2'd XP can't be connected to BB ??
Am I going crazy here or what.
My friend isn't particularly IT savvy and calls on me for help but I am flumoxed here.
They (ntl) suggested rolling XP back to an older state pre whatever patch is causing the problem.
Does any of this make sense to anyone?
Thanks.
:Yikes:

iain_herts
09-04-2005, 14:54
hi :welcome: to the site im sure 1 of the more teck savvy ppl will be along soon to help hope u enjoy ur stay.

iain

Raistlin
09-04-2005, 15:45
Don't know what NTL are on about!!!

The fact that they can't get into your mate's system shouldn't come as any suprise to them, they've never been able to get into anybody's system AFAIK.

I think (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong ;) ) that NTL just need to link the MAC address of the STB to your mate's account and then all should be well.

He may have to re-register the PC/STB combination.... Not completely sure what the process for that is.

Anybody else got any thoughts on this one, there must be somebody around, <shouts>HELLLLLOOOOOOOOO</shouting> :D

Anyway, I'm sure someone'll be along soon with a better idea (or a more technical explanation), in the mean time :welcome: to CF. Sit back, kick off your shoes, relax, and enjoy your stay :D

Wobbler
09-04-2005, 16:45
Thanks for the welcome chaps, and thanks for caring :)

He has made several calls to support including demanding to speak to a supervisor, as we all know there are good ones and not-so-good ones but I would have thought one of them would have been able to sort him out. They just kept saying he should take it up with his PC supplier suggesting the fault lies with Micro$oft - maybe for creating too-secure patches!

Anyway, at the moment I am talking him through backing up his data in case we lose it when we start trying roll-backs, and if that doesn't work I will have to try and talk him through Ghosting his system back to as it was last year before he installed cable (he is many miles away which doesn't help).
Deep joy....

\/\/

09-04-2005, 23:57
NTL CS told me today that their system is down (affecting over 200 customers) and they cannot activate bb on any newly installed stb's.

It could be Monday before this is supposedly resolved.