PDA

View Full Version : School

Ramrod
06-04-2005, 22:37
I'm curious. Were you happy there, or not? Discuss...................

TheBlueRaja
06-04-2005, 22:38
Was cool - prefered uni though - school just got in the way of exploring and having fun.

gary_580
06-04-2005, 22:40
Not really, wasnt entertained enough, too many idiots that were disruptive in the same classes. When i think back now my conclusion is that most of the teachers were absolutely hopeless.

I learnt far more in the few years after i left school than all the time i was at school

fireman328
06-04-2005, 22:50
It wun tyme i coodent spel teecher now i am wun !

punky
06-04-2005, 22:53
Not really. I was bulled 95% of the time with varying degrees of nastiness. Sometimes it was bad, sometimes it was not so bad. I basically tried to keep out everyone's way and do the best I could.

The last two years, 6th form A-levels, were probably the best as the bullying more or less dried up and I had the most friends. Also having a bit more freedom was nice too.

There's no way i'd way to go to school in this day and age. Not with how kids are these days. I'd rather be gormless.

gary_580
06-04-2005, 22:55
I'd rather be gormless.

........... no i cant say it :D j/k

Halcyon
06-04-2005, 23:12
Schoool was good once A levels kicked in as most of the idiots had gone by then.
I remember having a bit of a rough time in secondary school as I was always the one who would do their work so others would like to pick on me.
My A level years were probably the best. I met some briliant people, my best friend too, and we still meet up all the time.

Uni is fun. Its another experience, but once you near the end of your course, youl be hating it as you try to get everything done.

danielf
06-04-2005, 23:14
Primary school was fun. The best 12 years of my life :)

Seriously, school was ok, but Uni was better.

bb31
06-04-2005, 23:21
I hated it and couldnt wait to leave.
Wish i could go back tho knowing what i know now, try harder and enjoy it 2nd time round!! Oh and sail thru the exams cos half the marks would be based on coursework and get easy peasy results instead of having to sit one off exams and get a mind blank :(

homealone
06-04-2005, 23:36
I hated it and couldnt wait to leave.
Wish i could go back tho knowing what i know now, try harder and enjoy it 2nd time round!! Oh and sail thru the exams cos half the marks would be based on coursework and get easy peasy results instead of having to sit one off exams and get a mind blank :(

good point - I did O' Levels, at school, which were based mostly on exams, except French Oral :erm:

ond/hnd which I did later, at polytechnic, were much more "practical" based, and turned out to be more useful, in the long run ;)

- the 'sweet spot' is somewhere in the middle :)

Plonking
06-04-2005, 23:40
hated it all the way through, and couldn't find enough things wrong with me to be ill more often :) I went to a public school first of all, got beaten up all the time, then went to a private school, which was alright apart from being picked on, then went to an all-boys grammar school which used to be one of the top schools in the country, but started to slip and slide - I hear that it sucks more than ever nowadays... considering how much I hated it, I'm surprised I ended up with any A levels at all!

I've found uni to be far better, mainly as I'm finally studying something I'm interested in. I find that if I'm not interested, I just won't try at all... :D

P

Monster Jedi
06-04-2005, 23:40
I can't remember too much cos when I was 12yrs. I had to go down and work with the Pit Ponys in the mines.:D

Nikko
06-04-2005, 23:50
I can't remember too much cos when I was 12yrs. I had to go down and work with the Pit Ponys in the mines.:D

There is legislation in place now to prevent this. The RSPCA would never allow poor innocent equines to be compromised in this fashion.

Ramrod
07-04-2005, 00:00
Thanks for all the serious replies so far :tu: :) .........there is a pont to this thread, which will be revealed soonish. :D

All input is appreciated, but this is a serious thread :)

danielf
07-04-2005, 00:04
Thanks for all the serious replies so far :tu: :) .........there is a pont to this thread, which will be revealed soonish. :D

All input is appreciated, but this is a serious thread :)

Having a bet eh?

homealone
07-04-2005, 00:06
this is where I went - the swimming pool was in the building top left - 6 foot at the deep end

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kenneth.rose/palmboys.htm

we learnt to tie knots in our pyjama legs to survive jumping off a ship, in there :disturbd:

Ramrod
07-04-2005, 00:09
Having a bet eh?No, this is deadly serious...............I am collecting information and opinions.

this is where I went - the swimming pool was in the building top left - 6 foot at the deep end

we learnt to tie knots in our pyjama legs to survive jumping off a ship, in there :disturbd:Happy memories, eh? :disturbd:

Maggy
07-04-2005, 00:10
I'm on holiday-Ask me next week... :D

homealone
07-04-2005, 00:18
No, this is deadly serious...............I am collecting information and opinions.

Happy memories, eh? :disturbd:

mixed :erm:

I will share if you really are serious, but anonymously :angel:

danielf
07-04-2005, 00:23

we learnt to tie knots in our pyjama legs to survive jumping off a ship, in there :disturbd:

How does tying knots in your pyama legs help you survive jumping ship :confused:

Maggy
07-04-2005, 00:27
How does tying knots in your pyama legs help you survive jumping ship :confused:

I await the answer with baited breath. :D

Halcyon
07-04-2005, 00:32
It makes you float cos the air goes in I think.

I used to hate the school bus that would take us to school.

homealone
07-04-2005, 01:01
It makes you float cos the air goes in I think.

correct - you tie up the bottom of the pyjama legs, jump in the water, 'whip' the legs over your head to trap air, then tie off the waist & you have a float.

it probably lasts about 10 minutes, done well :D

greencreeper
07-04-2005, 01:47
No. I have issues with school - don't get me started :D

dilli-theclaw
07-04-2005, 07:18
No I wasn't happy at school.

edit - I didn't realise we were supposed to put the why's and wherefores. I'd prefer not to to be honest.

me283
07-04-2005, 08:45
School for me was OK up until the fifth form; usual mix of teachers you liked and didn't like, and they probably felt the same way. Sixth form left me feeling cheated though. Promises of being treated like adults, given more respect and responsibility etc. Many of us chose this over college, and it turned out to be a pile of hogwash. A few of us looked at transferring to college but by then it would have set us back a year. It was so bad that it put me off education and I chose not to go to university.

Looking back I wish I'd made more of my time at school, but I have a lot of resent over the sixth form thing. On a tangent though I looked up my school website and found that my fave teacher had died, and felt immense sadness. What he taught me will stay with me for the rest of my life and he was a great influence. Oh, and I met two fantastic friends, that I remain close to nearly 30 years on.

Ramrod
07-04-2005, 08:54
No I wasn't happy at school.

edit - I didn't realise we were supposed to put the why's and wherefores. I'd prefer not to to be honest.Don't worry m8, I'm not interested in why you weren't happy, just what you thought of it............ :)

TheBlueRaja
07-04-2005, 09:54
What i said before was true - i did get the occasional beating though - like most kids - but i cant really say that i had a really bad time i have heard people talking about their school and it made me think ours was relatively calm by comparison.

Uni was much better than both - a breath of fresh air really - a lot more freedom. What i realised near the end of secondary school was that there were a lot of unnecessary rules that quite frankly seemed to be there just to annoy you, in order to train you to follow rules if you get my drift. Now at that age your getting rebellious and this didnt help as your almost out to break the stupid rules because your so frustrated with them.

Uni gave you more freedom and therefore you behaved better because you were trusted to do this or that - you felt the relaxed atmosphere and freedom and followed rules more because of that.

I would give my right arm to give up work and go back to Uni.

punky
07-04-2005, 09:59
Oh, I wasn't sure if you wanted Uni as part of school, but Uni was the best time of my life so far. Its peaked there, it was great. I did well, had good jobs, plenty of friends, the workload was fine, the lifestyle was great.

Stuart
07-04-2005, 10:14
good point - I did O' Levels, at school, which were based mostly on exams, except French Oral :erm:

ond/hnd which I did later, at polytechnic, were much more "practical" based, and turned out to be more useful, in the long run ;)

- the 'sweet spot' is somewhere in the middle :)

Well, I did both O levels and GCSEs... Great fun.. The GCSEs were easier.

Anyway, I went to Langley Park School for Boys (http://www.lpbs.org.uk/index.php), after going to Hawes Down Infant and Junior schools.

Being honest, I think my school days were a mix of the worst days of my life (I got a lot of bullying about my voice), the best (I still have fond memories of bunking off games and going down the shops) and the scariest*.

*A few friends and I made the mistake of challenging the girls in the girls school next door to a game of netball. I was just making a comment about how easy the game is, and all of a sudden, a ball flew past my ear with an inch to spare.

Ramrod
07-04-2005, 10:47
Thanks for all your responses :tu: :)

Aragorn
07-04-2005, 11:18
For the most part I didn't enjoy school. Had a fight on the first day at Sec school ! Not being very tall and slow starter academically puts you at a disadvantage in a fairly rough school (Our school had a riot that got on the front of the Telegraph during a teachers strike :shocked: .

Got more bearable as the years went on and sixth form was definitely better - most of the yobs had dropped out by then, left with other decent 'kids'.

Wasted most of my time at Uni - probably would have been better working for a year or two before going there - no self-discipline or incentive to work hard - but at least I met my wife there :D

gooner4life
07-04-2005, 11:30
In all seriousness it was the best time of my life.

Nothing can measure up to playing football on the fields in the summer with the lads, being surrounded by girls and just having no worries.

I dont remember Primary school that well but Secondary School really was excellent for me!

SMHarman
07-04-2005, 11:53
correct - you tie up the bottom of the pyjama legs, jump in the water, 'whip' the legs over your head to trap air, then tie off the waist & you have a float.

it probably lasts about 10 minutes, done well :D
By which point the cold ocean water will have reduced your core body temperature to a point you would be dead.

School - Generally enjoyed it - I was not properly stretched academically though and found O levels a bit of a breeze, this came back to bite me in the 6th form when I did v. poorly at A levels because I suddenly had to study for them (and didn't).
At secondary school I met a great group of people who I am still in contact with which is nice - and interesting to see the different directions we have all gone in.

Maggy
07-04-2005, 12:08
No. I have issues with school - don't get me started :D

Was it difficult because you were struggling with issues of sexuality and the school couldn't help?

Because I've observed several boys over the years with this problem.Made my heart ache that I couldn't help as much as I could because of clause 28.

greencreeper
07-04-2005, 18:39
Was it difficult because you were struggling with issues of sexuality and the school couldn't help?

Because I've observed several boys over the years with this problem. Made my heart ache that I couldn't help as much as I could because of clause 28.
That was a part of it Coggy.

See here for my outpourings on the subject - http://dwarfinleopardskin.blogspot.com/2004/06/bullying.html

and here for my early years as a puff - http://dwarfinleopardskin.blogspot.com/2004/07/im-free.html

Bex
07-04-2005, 18:48
Not really. I was bulled 95% of the time with varying degrees of nastiness. Sometimes it was bad, sometimes it was not so bad. I basically tried to keep out everyone's way and do the best I could.

The last two years, 6th form A-levels, were probably the best as the bullying more or less dried up and I had the most friends. Also having a bit more freedom was nice too.

There's no way i'd way to go to school in this day and age. Not with how kids are these days. I'd rather be gormless.

i think my experience at school was pretty much the same as this. i generally kept my head down and got on with it. unfortunately i was bullied at school and had some pretty emotonal stuff going on at home at the same time.

sixth form was a lot better for me..... i made some great new friends (even though i'd been at school with them since i was 11)

uni was fantastic... i loved living away from home and pretty much being mates with everyone in my lectures....

Ramrod
07-04-2005, 18:51
Got more bearable as the years went on and sixth form was definitely better - most of the yobs had dropped out by then, left with other decent 'kids'.Same here :)

MadGamer
07-04-2005, 18:54
I hated it and couldnt wait to leave. Neither can i only got my GCSE exams to take and then im outta there. Cant wait for college, thats gonna be interesting and fun.

Damien
07-04-2005, 19:15
I hated school, so much. It wasnt too bad sometimes but I really did not like it. A lot of the time it depended on the teachers weither I liked my classes or not and the amount of prats around didnt help. I eventually just completely gave up on school in the end and although i attended and didnt disrupt anyone it was a case of sitting down and seeing though the day. Any real bullying didnt take place although I did get a little bit of hard time in the first few years but I sort of brought a bit on myself by not talking to anyone and acting like a complete anti-social geek. That stopped after a while and socially i got on much better but still hated school. I ended upp getting U's E's annd D's and one A.

But the last three years of college have gone very well and I keep gettings A's and B's and am going to UNI in september :) i pretty much know i have the grades to get into my first choice due to the 3 A's i have in my first few units

Macca371
07-04-2005, 19:30
I totally despised school. I wasn't bullied really, and I'm so lucky for that, but I think the reason was that I was rather lonely. I did have a friend group that I hung around with, and although they never caused me any harm they were totally different people than I were. The chavs referred to us as 'the geeks' . They had their part of the playground, and we had our own autonomous part of the playground :D hehe. I went to a very small school you see, and there were few people in my year.You may be asking me to stop moaning, being with the wrong group of people isn't that bad. But really, spending 5 years at school day in day out, not really fitting in with anyone and not having any decent conversation really is depressing. It reached extreme lows in Year 10 and all just got too much within an RE lesson and I just started crying uncontrollably, and eventually I developed anxiety disorder and I genuinely think I was close to breakdown and had 4 weeks off, and only came back after being forced by my mother, and I fought very hard not to go back. If I had it my own way, I'd have studied at home, to get me away from people and to leave me alone, and I honestly think I'd have learnt so much more if I was left alone with a book rather than having to rely on the shocking teaching standard at that ghastly school. Not many people understood what I was actually going through, my friends had no idea somehow and my teachers said that I seemed a popular happy student. Happiness was the last emotion I was feeling.

I think if I'd have gone to a different school with different peers, things would have been a lot different.

College is very different. I have met lots of new people and formed great friendships which I'm sure will last for a long time. It's a completely different environment. I believe I'm starting to be happy, something which I haven't been for many years. I am with so many people just like me, and I think that is great. And I'm very grateful for this :)

I often have to go back to school to get some information about the IT GCSE which I'm retaking, and it really does make me feel very uneasy and the unhappiness all comes flooding back. It's horrible. :(

Seti
07-04-2005, 23:45
School. I was always very studious as a kid, I loved music, reading, English not so much maths, but, most things. I also enjoyed science! I know I am just a weird woman. Anyway I lost my dad in primary school in the first year and after that the bullying became insufferable. In fact if it wasn't for the books i took to school i doubt if I would be here now and balanced and relatively healthy. The first thing the kids did when I lost my dad was call me a ******* and flush my head down a loo. I was 8.

Things didnt' improve as although the "junior" school teachers knew of the problems with the other girls they stuck me into a class at comprehensive with them. I loved the learning just not the people I was with. They made my life hell. I have always been a bit chubby although not as bad as I am now and PE was pugotory. I loathed that lesson because the teacher thought it was ok to treat me as the other kids did. I was good at swimming, hockey and netball but never really given an opportunity because as the teacher put it "I was more well developed than the other girls and boys".

Asides from having nightmares about the PE teacher, I also got attacked at school so it wasn't a very happy time. I left in the sixth year to go to another all girls comp and didn't carry on. I went to Uni very late and wish I had gone earlier.

I think if kids are mixed and not matched there are problems but school is like a holding pen for all sorts of trouble lately. It's just sad and I hated the individuals concerned.

I loved my head and my music teacher although they became less supportive after the attack. I just wish things had been different and things weren't so hard then. I now have an MS nurse who was my best friend at school caring for me which is a bit of a bummer as she didnt' care when the stuff happened or didnt' understand :)

Sian

danielf
07-04-2005, 23:57
<snip>

But the last three years of college have gone very well and I keep gettings A's and B's and am going to UNI in september :) i pretty much know i have the grades to get into my first choice due to the 3 A's i have in my first few units

Good on you mate :tu: Uni is great! It's a bit of a balancing act though: lectures, booze and babes...

But, being the responsible adult I am, I recommend the lectures ;)

LemonyBrainAid
08-04-2005, 00:00
Hrm. I'm still in school..and i don't particularly...enjoy it.

It does get in the way of things i wanna do. And getting in trouble ain't much fun either :(

homealone
08-04-2005, 00:33

It does get in the way of things i wanna do. And getting in trouble ain't much fun either :(

one thing about going to boarding school was that the folks back home never really were informed of the detentions, the canings, the litter picking, etc - I used to wish my parents cared more - but also I played that for what it was worth...

Maggy
08-04-2005, 04:26
I didn't like school when I first started because I was 2 years behind everyone else who had started at 5.I had a lot to catch up on...I did get bullied until the other kids found I had a beserker rage.

I could take pain for a lot longer than they could when I was in one of my rages and therefore I could do more damage.Eventually they realised it was more trouble than it was worth.It never seemed to get as far as a teacher intervening either.Mind this was in central London in the 50's.

Thereafter I never really had much trouble despite the number of different schools I went to..I guess I just had a look of confidence about me..I also wanted to learn more than I wanted to suck up to bullies or cliques...I learned early to not run with peer pressure because you can never satisfy that sort of mentality.Eventually I also determined that I would not allow them to bully others and began to champion the 'victims' more.I didn't have to get into a punch up every time, just use my increasing vocabulary and talk them to death...This was pre PC when pupils were more or less supposed to sort their own problems out.No anti-bully campaigns in the 50's or 60's.

I was also inclined to have my nose in a book whenever it was break time.Woe betide anyone who interrupted my reading. ;)

After my father died I also decided that I needed an education as I watched my mother struggle to earn a wage to keep our heads above water without any qualifications at all.I decided that I'd be able to support myself no matter what the future held.I just rode above it all towards the end and then left to go to the sixth form.

Frankly I think my schooldays were character forming.I think they toughened me up.I did have some excellent teachers who got me to think that I could achieve my dreams.

I'm sorry that the rest of you were so unhappy..I had hoped things had improved.I guess all the antibully campaigns of the past 20 years have not achieved much anywhere... :(

Nemesis
08-04-2005, 08:16

You betcha life it aint ...... :mad:

Ramrod
08-04-2005, 16:40
You betcha life it aint ...... :mad:Whats he been up to? :p: