PDA

View Full Version : No broadband, no tv - new samsung box

aardvark
06-04-2005, 15:12
Over 24 hours ago an installer came to swap my Pace box with a Samsung so that I can upgrade to 2MB connection.

After 4 hours of blank screen, the Base Pack channels appeared. Since then - NOTHING! No broadband, no Family Pack.

After several calls yesterday to C S, who told me that it could take 24 hours for all the channels etc to come through, I'm now ( at 9 a.m.) told that they can't activate my broadband because the account (or something) is locked and it has to be passed on to the IT department who could take another 24 hours ... but this can't be guaranteed & that CS could do nothing about it.

What's going on??

When I arranged to have the box swapped, some 3 weeks ago, I was told that if I called C S 20 mins after the intallation I'd be able to upgrade to the 2MB service.

It's a good job have kept a dial-up connection.

Can anyone help or explain?

MovedGoalPosts
06-04-2005, 16:04
Oh dear, looks like you've dropped into the ntl Pace to Samsung black hole similar to this chap :http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25909&page=1&pp=15

Persistance at calling CS is probably going to be your best route, and if they can't sort it swiftly then require some compensation for your loss of service, especialy if you were originally mislead by some bod telling you it would be easy and quick.

Marge
06-04-2005, 16:14
Oh dear, looks like you've dropped into the ntl Pace to Samsung black hole similar to this chap :http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25909&page=1&pp=15

Persistance at calling CS is probably going to be your best route, and if they can't sort it swiftly then require some compensation for your loss of service, especialy if you were originally mislead by some bod telling you it would be easy and quick.

To br fair the original person who arranged the box swop wouldn't have known there could or would be a problem so saying they mislead the customer is not strictly correct in my opinion.

I have pm'd aadvark anyway for some details to see what the problem is with the new box

axlgnr
07-04-2005, 00:12
I'm having 2 new samsung boxes installed on the 12th also upgrading from 300k to 1mb, and also the internet connection white box thing on the wall is in a different room to where im having the pc so I'm guessing there is going to be problems, I initially called ntl just to upgrade the speed but I called back 2 days later to say I wanted to change everything around(2 boxes/2 different rooms), the guy seemed ok but didnt really say alot, he basically just said ntl will still be coming on the 12th and that it wouldnt cost anything because I already called for the upgrade, which is nice to know,BUT with some of the stories I've been reading about the new samsung boxes and the topic of this I'm thinking something is going to go wrong.

aardvark
07-04-2005, 09:19
Don't know whether you were able to pull a few strings Marge ....

but after a conversation with Brian in faults late yesterday afternoon and a scottish chap (who's name I've forgotten) in CS this morning, both boardband and family pack are now working.

Thanks for your help.

A

Marge
07-04-2005, 10:04
;) Glad it's sorted

hubbins
07-04-2005, 15:39
Aardvark, I have a similar problem to you. On Tuesday had a new Samsung box put in and since then have had no Broadband or any TV channels. I have made dozens or calls and spoken to numerous clueless individuals and still can't get this problem resolved. I finally got a 'Supervisor' to attend today and after about 15 mins came to the conclusion that he had no idea what was wrong. He has no idea when he can get me a new box or even an old Pace box for the time being.

Is there anybody within NTL who can be bothered to sort this out. How did you manage to get through to 'Brian'.

I shall have one more go with Customer Services tonight or will be cancelling tomorrow.

A total shambles.

aardvark
07-04-2005, 16:11
Marge (see above) was very helpful.

Send her a PM with details of your problem. If anyone can sort it, she can!

..... and let us know what happens.

Lemonhunny
07-04-2005, 17:12
I had my Samsung box put in yesterday morning. The fitter assured me I had to do nothing but wait. It would be approx 2 hours for the tv channels to download to me, after he sent the text message to goodness knows where, and once the tv channels were back, then my broadband would be working again. Famous last words!

Hubby came home and tried to sort it out for me, and realised we had no IP address, and therefore no signal. He phoned NTL, spoke to Daniel and explained what the problems were. Daniel was extremely helpful, and finally admitted that NTL had "forgotten to activate the broadband". Within 10 mins I was back online and speed test showing that I was indeed on the 2mb connect that the Samsung promised.

Scotty306
09-04-2005, 09:48
Well i'm glad i'm not the only one!

They came to change the box on Thursday, well actually the first bloke thought it was a 'disconnection' and drove away confused!
The 2nd guy changed the box but it seems he never actually told anybody what he'd done, as it took me until Friday afternoon to get my TV package back. My new Samsung box wasn't on the system ??

But here I am on Saturday with no-bia.cm showing and still no broadband :( apperntly 'Install' are looking into it ??

If any of the NTL staff are bored and feel like helping then feel free to PM me, I'm able to get online at the moment using a neighbour's 'unsecure wireless' :eek: but his signal's a bit week :)

Scotty306
09-04-2005, 15:26
After a total of 6 calls to Ntl & 3 calls from them to me it's finally working, phew!

Nice one Marge :D :clap:

Airwolf
09-04-2005, 16:57
I had my box changed this morning TV came on within the 3 hours they said it would take but it has taken a number of calls to NTL to get broadband back on. They had added the stb card number to the account but not actually linked it to the new box.

daz300
09-04-2005, 17:16
online at the moment using a neighbour's 'unsecure wireless' :eek: but his signal's a bit week :)

lol :Yikes: better do my one now :Yikes:

Scotty306
09-04-2005, 18:27
From upstairs using my laptop I can see 4 networks, including mine !
The unsecure one is a 1Mb connection too!

The strange this is that their router's log shows i'm the only person who's used it this week!

daz300
09-04-2005, 18:41
i am glad i do not live near you . but maybe the 1 mb connedtion maybe handy , if i did .

09-04-2005, 23:51
Had my pace box swapped for a Samsung one at 10:30 this morning. The "engineer" said that it would be an hour before I got all of the channels.

After two hours I called CS only to be told that it could take upto six hours. After five hours I had my channels, but no broadband. I called CS again and they told me that the new box did not have broadband enabled, so they would do it straight away and it would take an hour.

After an hour and a half, still nothing so I called CS back. This time I was told that the "system" is down, and no new "orders" to activate broadband are going through, and that I probably won't be connected until Monday at the earliest!

Does anyone from NTL know if this is true?

If I don't have broadband in the morning, I am going to have to go into work as I've got a stack of stuff that needs to be done before Monday, and I was planning on doing it from home.:bigcry:

cheesegoduk
10-04-2005, 15:43
Your not the only one with this problem, we had our STB changed yesterday and was told our box would be "hit" within the hour. After an hour we had 3/4 channels and after another hour or so we had a large majority of our channels back, tho i believe they are only all of the channels in the basic pack(We still don't have our music channels back along with others)

Our broadband is also dead in the water

Rang NTL CS and they informed me that by 18:30, everything would be back, the delay was because they were having major problems with the system.

Admittedly I wasn't suprised when lo and behold at 18:30 nothing happened, and CS had gone home for the night, so I'm now stuck using a friends wireless connection which is on an ultra weak signal.
If NTL knew they had a problem with the system, then they should have either, pulled an extra shift on sunday to get the system working, or recalled the engineers upgrading the systems. This really isn't on

Scotty306
10-04-2005, 16:15
There should be a free dial-up service as a backup for customers who can't connect.

It's not the first time i've been without service and I doubt it will be the last :(

aardvark
10-04-2005, 17:14
There should be a free dial-up service as a backup for customers who can't connect.

Good idea Scotty306. A free backup service would certainly be useful and significantly raise ntl: customers' levels of satisfaction.

10-04-2005, 18:47
Still no connection at 4:30 this afternoon, so I called BB Tech Support - Amazingly, the guy at the other end of the phone was able to resolve my connection problem within about 5 minutes :D Something CS had not been able to do in 30 hours :confused:

Thanks to the guy in TS - Wish I called him at lunchtime on Saturday!!

According to CS when I spoke to them yesterday - They knew about this problem at 9am on Saturday morning, but were told that it was only going to take an hour to resolve. It wasn't until later in the afternoon that CS were "told" that it could be down until Monday.

Why on earth is CS closed on a Sunday? I bet it would be their busiest day for residential customers, but that's maybe why!:Yikes:

cheesegoduk
10-04-2005, 20:16
I just did what newbie suggested and rang the BB tech support. According to the guy on the phone, our account doesn't actually have Internet access at all, hense why it was never activated.(Also according to the system, we only have the basic TV package..) Unfortually there was nothing he could do to resolve this issue and I have to get in contact with CS tomorrow.

This is just silly, why on earth has our account info been changed this way.
I still do find it utterly stupid that they have BB support staffed on a sunday(up until 12:30am! each night) but not the standard CS which according to the guy would be able to fix this issue in seconds.
If they offer a 24/7 service then they should realisticly have 24/7 CS.
Not very impressed with this..

cheesegoduk
11-04-2005, 14:43
I really don't know if I can take this garbage much longer, our box got hit again this morning after we rang up.. Got all our channels back.. but still no Internet. Rang up again.. got hit again... and we are now connected at the blazing speed of... 300kps :| The whole point in this upgrade was to reach higher speeds, not slower ones. I assume that the wrong signal was sent, but I'm not really rather happy having to call tech support again.