PDA

View Full Version : NTL Home 200 & D-Link DI-604 Router

jatkin
06-04-2005, 13:38
Hi all,
I am trying to create a very simple network with the above equipment, but the cable modem either fails to see the router (the lan light is not on) or intermittantly drops the connection.
If i put a 10m hub between the two, it all works fine!!!
Any idea how I can confgure this system to work without the hub???
any help would be appreciated.
Best regards,
James

Aragorn
06-04-2005, 14:31
James,

:welcome: to CF.

Firstly, the ethernet cable from the BB Modem should be connected to the 'WAN' port on the back of the router, not one of the four LAN ports.

If you connect this and a LAN cable from one of the LAN ports to the PC, you should be able to browse to http://192.168.0.1 (user 'admin', blank password) and run the setup wizard - although afaik the defaults should work with NTL. Quick Install Guide here (http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=62&sec=0#quickInstallGuides)

HTH

jatkin
06-04-2005, 14:34
Hi,

I have the units connected ok (using a straight patch cable) from the WAN to the Cable Modem. The system does work, it is just intermittant both when running and on startup.
I am guessing that the problem MIGHT lay with the autonegotiation of speed - 10/100 (this would explain why the Hub masks the problem).
James

Aragorn
06-04-2005, 15:03
Autonegotiation shouldn't be an issue with a normally working router and CM. If you have no issues with a direct connect PC but do with the router I would suspect a problem with the router. Most broadband routers should just work 'out-of-the-box' with NTL BB.

jatkin
06-04-2005, 15:05
That's what I would have thought, but I have tried a Buffalo WBG54, and another D-Link, all with the same response.

Aragorn
06-04-2005, 15:56
Hmm, never used D-Link or Buffalo myself. If you have the option of taking the D-Link back, I would recommend trying a Linksys BEFSR41 - the entry level 4 port non-wireless Linksys product. Just over £30 on Amazon.

If returning it is not an option at this stage, you could check the logs on the CM (see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ for details) and the router, but if a single PC works fine, as does a hub, I can't see any reason that a router shouldn't work OK.

HTH

Tuftus
06-04-2005, 16:06
Have you got the latest firmware on the DI-604?

I had a few probs with mine a few months back and updated the f/w and it has been fine since...

jatkin
06-04-2005, 16:07
As far as I know, the fw is up to date - what version are you running?

Tuftus
06-04-2005, 16:15
Firmware Version: V3.09, Tue, Dec 28 2004

jatkin
07-04-2005, 11:32
Ok, I was running 3.06 - this has now been updated to 3.09...
I have got the two hooked up together now (without the hub) and they appear to work fine - I'll keep my eye on them...
One intresting thing is that if I power on the Cable Modem without the router attached to it, the LAN light does not come on - sounds good to me. If I now plug the router in and power it on, the LAN light still does not come on??? (If I do the same with the hub, it does) Is this correct???
If I cycle the power on the Cable Modem now, with the router connected and powered on, the LAN light does come on during the initialisation stage and remains on... ummm...
I'll let you know if I get any further drop outs, but fingers crossed, it appears to be working!!!
Thanks for all your help...