PDA

View Full Version : Modem act as DHCP server ?

yer nice one
05-04-2005, 18:01
Hi All

I run a linux server 24/7 on my ntl cable modem, nothing fancy just a web and mail server,
eth0 is set to DHCP.
Ethernet from cable modem to linux server, anyway just recently eth0 which is set up as DHCP has been grabbing ip 192.168.100.10, Its really weird as its impossible for eth0 to grab that IP from the modem, This happens at random intervals sometime 5 days sometimes longer,

Anyway, my question is.... If the white coax cable coming into the modem would die (no power signal) short term, would the modem issue an internal IP to eth0 ?

This is proberly down to my configuration on the linux server but.. I just want to rule this out,

If anyone is interested i have a posted this on several linux forums, check out
http://www.clarkconnect.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB5&Number=69801&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=&vc=1&PHPSESSID=

If you think you could help me,

Thanks again

Graham M
05-04-2005, 22:09
Im not 100% certain, someone will correct me if Im wrong, but if your Modem loses connection to the NTL network and the Interface requests an IP then it will get a Private IP like 192.168.100.10 its so that the PC can still talk to the modem for diagnostics, etc.

Chris W
05-04-2005, 22:36
Im not 100% certain, someone will correct me if Im wrong, but if your Modem loses connection to the NTL network and the Interface requests an IP then it will get a Private IP like 192.168.100.10 its so that the PC can still talk to the modem for diagnostics, etc.

correct :tu:

yer nice one
06-04-2005, 08:25
Thanks for the replies,

At least I know that its not down to my configuration, Is there anyway to configure the NTL modem so it doesnt DHCP internal IP address to my server ?

The problem I have is that, when the modem issues a private IP to the server, the server will keep that address and not get an external IP, I know I can renew the IP manualy but, this is no good when im not at home,

Cheersa guys (Y)