PDA

View Full Version : Network printer not available to add now we're using a domain.

McGraw
05-04-2005, 15:35
Our workgroup is using a Brother HL-5170DN with a network card plugged into our router.

When we switch over to the domain, it no longer shows up as a printer to add.

What am I doing wrong?

We are using XP and Server 2003.

Cheers.

Raistlin
05-04-2005, 15:43
Try going into Search (or Find) and looking for the printer that way.

Oh, hang on, read that wrong.

Have you checked that you have the correct permissions to manage the printer object as a shared resource?

McGraw
05-04-2005, 16:04
It isn't attached to the server, it is just plugged into the network like a pc.

So as far as I can tell, there is no way to assign permissions around it.

Can't understand it.

Raistlin
05-04-2005, 16:32
How is it plugged in?

Router, switch, hub?

You should be able to find it by using the "Add New Printer" wizard..... Maybe.....

Sorry, forget that question. Just read the OP again.

McGraw
05-04-2005, 16:34
It's straight into the router and is detected fine by pcs in the workgroup when using the wizard.

Add the same pc to the domain and it won't detect.

I know I'm missing something really obvious.

Raistlin
05-04-2005, 16:34
Can you connect directly to the printer (without going through the router)? If so, is there a control panel for the router that would allow you to change its network settings?

You may need to tell it that it is now part of a domain and rename it accordingly?

TBH, I've got no real experience of working with printers in this setup. Normally you just use the Add New Printer wizard, tell it that you're looking for a network printer and off it goes.

MovedGoalPosts
05-04-2005, 16:39
You probably have to set the printer card itself with a fixed IP, subnet etc that will be in the range of the new domain.

Once you have that setup then running a wizard on any PC will enable you to select the printer, but you may have to then find it using a fixed IP address.

edit: Using the add printer wizard in XP Pro, you set the printer as a local printer and then add a TCP/IP port.

McGraw
05-04-2005, 16:40
I'm stumped.

MovedGoalPosts
05-04-2005, 16:43
Does the Brother printer have any menu options accessible from it that enables you to set an IP addy?

McGraw
05-04-2005, 16:46
How do I do that then?

Cheers.

MovedGoalPosts
05-04-2005, 16:54
OK, looking at the user manual for your printer:
http://www.brother.co.uk/display.cfm?id=102336
Page 2-20 talks about some software BRadmin Pro. Do you have that CD anywhere? If not you might be able to download from the brother site?
That will presumably allow you to connect to and set up the IP of the printer?

McGraw
05-04-2005, 16:58
Cheers, will investigate.

That would make sense as the old HP laserjet we had needed a network programme running.

I know I must seem lazy but I don't just sort IT out in my company and I don't have time for loads of trial and error.

Cheers.

MovedGoalPosts
05-04-2005, 17:04
I know I must seem lazy but I don't just sort IT out in my company and I don't have time for loads of trial and error.

You sound like me - I'm supposed to be a surveyor, yet somehow I'm the IT guru. The number of sleepless nights I have getting things to work. Trial and error is how I've learn't enough to be capable of totally "fubaring" the whole office :eek:

altis
05-04-2005, 17:12
In my experience, network printers are never visible directly to Windows. You have to install the driver that comes with the printer then, if the printer is not installed automatically, you add it as a *local* printer and then change the port it's attached to from LPT1 to some funny name that is the network bit of the driver.

McGraw
05-04-2005, 17:16
I'm in recruitment and I'm the ops manager but I also run a desk and sort the IT out.

madness.

Raistlin
05-04-2005, 17:27
:LOL:

Tell me about it, this is starting to sound all too familiar:

Business Manager
Continuity Planning
Project Management
Risk Management

Oh yeah, and could you do IT as well? :D

greencreeper
05-04-2005, 18:35
The printer has an internal HTTP server - just stick the IP address in IE and hey presto.

There's no way I can think of that changing domain membership would affect the printer or the ability of the PCs to see the printer. How are you trying to setup the printer?

Add new printer
Local - untick the box
Define new TCP/IP port
Put the printer IP address in the box

Once the printer installs, do the following, otherwise you'll have problems:

Right-click the printer and choose Properties
Advanced tab
Print processor
Change to winprt
Ok
Ok

McGraw
06-04-2005, 11:28
Very strange.

Everything is fine now and the printers are recognised by every machine other than the server which is neither here nor there.

The problem seemed to be caused by the old Laserjet that we used to have. It was shared from another machine and it's software was seemingly causing conflicts.

I deleted every instance of it from every machine and all seems fine.

Phew.