PDA

View Full Version : Distance limitations.

Cyrill666
04-04-2005, 22:06
Hello,

I'm aware of ADSL service limitations relating to the distance between the exchange and the subscriber, however is there a similar limitation on NTL's cable network?

I ask as a friend of mine wanted broadband installing in her business premises was told that she couldn't recieve the service as she was "too far from the server". She does however have 2 existing business phone lines with NTL.

paulyoung666
04-04-2005, 22:09
would this not be a case of suitable cabling not being in place :(

Cyrill666
04-04-2005, 22:26
That's what I thought - "you're too far from the server", actually means "it's not worth us cabling up just for you".

The business itself is on Skelton high street, i'd have thought an area like that would have been fully serviced.

paulyoung666
04-04-2005, 22:33
That's what I thought - "you're too far from the server", actually means "it's not worth us cabling up just for you".

The business itself is on Skelton high street, i'd have thought an area like that would have been fully serviced.

skelton is out in the boonies , not sure if they have cabled that far out :erm: :D :D :D

Escapee
04-04-2005, 22:40

ntl used to put HDSL equipment in cabinets for single customers (business) I have a feeling they dont sell that product anymore. I would never take it as meaning "it's not worth us cabling up just for you" cos I dont think ntl business have ever operated like that, they certainly gave lots away and made big losses in the past. ;)

If its a high street, I would of thought it would be a business node and adsl would be likely!

Cyrill666
04-04-2005, 23:09
lol, yes they've cabled up Skelton.

The particularly disappointing thing is that 2 weeks ago when a broadband installation was ordered there was no hint of a problem. A phone call out of the blue yesterday from NTL bascially cancelled the installation.

... plus the postcode check tool seems to indicate that the area is cabled up.