PDA

View Full Version : ADSL router and NTL?

jago25_98
04-04-2005, 21:30
Got a mate just ring me up.

They've got an ADSL modem with no WAN port and trying to use it with NTL cable broadband. It's a Belkin of some sort.

Is this possible?

My next suggestion for them will be to see if it's got a USB port on the router. But if it hasn't are we screwed?

I've got Telewest and a ASUS router so I feel I should be able to help.

Cable modem IP = 192.168.100.1
Router IP = 192.168.1.1

I tried getting it all to go straight through to the modem by setting gateway to 192.168.100.1 but that didn't work

JohnHorb
04-04-2005, 21:32
Is this possible?

No. They need a standard router WITHOUT built-in ADSL modem, as cable technology is different to ADSL.

cnewton2k
04-04-2005, 21:55
Hi all

you can do it with an ADSL router, use the USB Connection to connect the SACM to your PC then, setup your home network and select the option this computer connect directly to the internet and everything connect via it.

the connect your ethernet card to your router and i will work, i have just done the same thing on mine with a netgear DG834G

jago25_98
04-04-2005, 22:31
So connect everything through a PC that's on all the time is one answer.

Turns out NTL have blocked up the USB port on the cable modem!! As a result I think they're gonna try and take the router back. Guess that's simplest.

JohnHorb
05-04-2005, 08:02
Hi all

you can do it with an ADSL router, use the USB Connection to connect the SACM to your PC then, setup your home network and select the option this computer connect directly to the internet and everything connect via it.

the connect your ethernet card to your router and i will work, i have just done the same thing on mine with a netgear DG834G

Unless I am misunderstanding, this means you are using a PC as your router, then using the ADSL router purely as a wireless access point to allow wireless access to your home network.

SMHarman
05-04-2005, 09:30
So connect everything through a PC that's on all the time is one answer.

Turns out NTL have blocked up the USB port on the cable modem!! As a result I think they're gonna try and take the router back. Guess that's simplest.
If it is a new router then that is the best thing to do. The Linksys WRT54G is brainless to set up on the NTL network.