PDA

View Full Version : Network card question

daveeb
04-04-2005, 19:02
Hi all, i currently have BB through pace stb, using a network card on my old pc. Have just got a new pc which also has a network card. I dont want to use this new pc much for internet access, just occasionally to (for instance) register half life 2. I think i need to reboot the stb and pc to register the new network card initially, my question is do i have to re-register each nic every time i switch pc or is it a one off exercise after which both pc's will be recognised. thanks ;)

gary_580
04-04-2005, 19:48
its a one off exercise. i do beleive you will nned to reboot the STB though if you want to change PC that is connected to it.

homealone
04-04-2005, 19:53
you would have to powercycle the stb to get it to pick up the new NIC, each time - unless you used internet connection sharing, or a router ;)

daveeb
04-04-2005, 19:56
Thanks guys.....shame its not the answer i hoped. :dozey:

gary_580
04-04-2005, 19:58
you would have to powercycle the stb to get it to pick up the new NIC, each time - unless you used internet connection sharing, or a router ;)

echoooo echooooo :D

Thanks guys.....shame its not the answer i hoped. :dozey:

try cloning the MAC address from one PC onto the other. You might not have to reboot the STB if you change PC then. As i say MIGHT NOT, im sure i tried this once and it worked, however i cant really remember

JohnHorb
04-04-2005, 20:02
try cloning the MAC address from one PC onto the other. You might not have to reboot the STB if you change PC then. As i say MIGHT NOT, im sure i tried this once and it worked, however i cant really remember

Good idea, as long as the two PCs are not to be networked together, no reason it shouldn't work. Would be a problem, though, if the two PCs ARE to be networked together.