PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] IP keeps changing

caroline
02-04-2005, 22:45
Hi

can anyone tell me how can i stop my ip changeing, its done it twice this week,and i lose my internet connection, so to get it back i have to take out the cable modem plug and then put it back in, then all is ok, how can i stop this happening.And is this ntl fault or my computer.

thanx Caroline

Toto
02-04-2005, 23:06
IP addresses are dynamically assigned to you, you cannot prevent the change. The changes are made by ntl, it is not the fault of your computer.

Paul K
02-04-2005, 23:44
IP addresses are dynamically assigned to you, you cannot prevent the change. The changes are made by ntl, it is not the fault of your computer.
Dynamic to a point normally you keep an IP address unless something happens to cause it to change.
Caroline can you tell us a bit more info so we can go through the possibilities?
What Operating System are you running?
Are you running a software firewall at all? If so what?
Are you running a single PC directly connected to the SACM or are you behind a router?
Is the SACM on all the time?

ian@huth
02-04-2005, 23:53
As Toto has said, IP addresses are issued dynamically and you cannot prevent them from changing if the change is caused by something like resegmentation. In general IP addresses tend to stay the same particularly if you hardly ever turn your PC off or router if you are connecting through one. It could be a question of you having a firewall that isn't allowing DHCP requests to be processed resulting in you losing the lease of the IP. Have a look at Robin Walkers site regarding DHCP issues and also the page on that site regarding firewall issues. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/dhcp.html

caroline
03-04-2005, 00:53
Hi

Im running windows xp professional ,also running kaspersky anti virus and im running a router, this problem has only occured when i got my free upgrade, althoe all last week i was having trouble with signal noise ratio on my line but that has been sorted.

Paul K
03-04-2005, 11:45
Hi

Im running windows xp professional ,also running kaspersky anti virus and im running a router, this problem has only occured when i got my free upgrade, althoe all last week i was having trouble with signal noise ratio on my line but that has been sorted.
With the ammount of upgrades and engineering work going on at the moment you may find that you were unlucky last week and that things settle down now. What area of the country are you in?

caroline
03-04-2005, 16:07
Hi
i live in hertfordshire sg61qb [post code]
is it possible you could ask ignition [as he works for ntl]
why it would be that my ip address is changeing, and if he coild sort the problem out , please.
Im now trying running my computer without my router connected just in case the upgrades have somehow done something to my router, will let you know how i get on.
Can you please ask ignition to reply to me about my problem.
thanx

Raistlin
03-04-2005, 16:14
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, it turned out that my firewall wasn't allowing my PC to renew the lease on the IP address. NTLs system was assuming that my machine was no longer connected to the network so it was reassigning the IP address.

caroline
07-04-2005, 23:08
Hi All

my computer is connected to a netgear wgr614 times 3 and im runnung xp professional , ive upgraded the latest firmware as well all has been fine untill i had the free upgrade, now i lose the internet and have to reboot the router to get it back, this use to happen before, but that was before the upgrade and before i updated the latest firmware for the router, ive run my computer now for four days without the router connected and it hasnt lost the internet once so im pretty sure it must be the router.When i had it connected to the router it lost the internet and i found the ip address had changed, i gave it a static ip address but it still changed , how can i stop it from changeing or is there another option apart from a static ip address on the router that stops it changeing or at least keeps me connected to the internet all the time.

thanx caroline

ian@huth
07-04-2005, 23:23
NTL IPs are issued dynamically. It is either a router or firewall issue that is preventing DHCP from renewing the IP lease. Have a good look at Robin Walkers site that I mentioned in post #4.

Nemesis
07-04-2005, 23:24
Hi All

my computer is connected to a netgear wgr614 times 3 and im runnung xp professional , ive upgraded the latest firmware as well all has been fine untill i had the free upgrade, now i lose the internet and have to reboot the router to get it back, this use to happen before, but that was before the upgrade and before i updated the latest firmware for the router, ive run my computer now for four days without the router connected and it hasnt lost the internet once so im pretty sure it must be the router.When i had it connected to the router it lost the internet and i found the ip address had changed, i gave it a static ip address but it still changed , how can i stop it from changeing or is there another option apart from a static ip address on the router that stops it changeing or at least keeps me connected to the internet all the time.

thanx caroline

Which interface keeps changing, the internet one or you local Lan link ?

caroline
07-04-2005, 23:49
the ip changes when i check the one thats connected to the router, changes to 169.254 etc

Tezcatlipoca
07-04-2005, 23:51
the ip changes when i check the one thats connected to the router, changes to 169.254 etc

169?

Have a read through this thread - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18084