PDA

View Full Version : Jobs etc.

Graham M
30-03-2005, 16:31
Hi there, I do a small amount of business on the side as a Computer Technician, it's what I'm good at, and it's all good experience. For the moment, I do VERY little business, 1 or 2 customers per month if that. Thing is im not sure about the legalities, tax etc. Could anybody shed some light on it for me, as for the minute it's all cash in hand, no tax declaration etc. But then, do I earn enough? The rest of my time is spent in College or @ my Weekend job.

TIA

Zeph :monkey:

ScaredWebWarrior
30-03-2005, 16:33
Thing is im not sure about the legalities, tax etc. Could anybody shed some light on it for me, as for the minute it's all cash in hand, no tax declaration etc. But then, do I earn enough? The rest of my time is spent in College or @ my Weekend job.

If you perform this service as a 'business' then the earnings need to be declared, even if they're below the taxable limit.

Even for 1 or 2 customers/month it might be worth getting this right, otherwise the taxman might eventually catch up with you and then you'll be in deep doodoo.

Graham M
30-03-2005, 16:34
OK so how do I go about making these declarations, is there anything else I need to know, will it cost me?

orangebird
30-03-2005, 16:35
this (http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/selfemployed/) might help :)

Graham M
30-03-2005, 16:38
Thanks Ill have a read when I need to get to sleep :D

Nugget
30-03-2005, 16:38
If you perform this service as a 'business' then the earnings need to be declared, even if they're below the taxable limit.

Even for 1 or 2 customers/month it might be worth getting this right, otherwise the taxman might eventually catch up with you and then you'll be in deep doodoo.

Would the taxman find out though? If it's all cash in hand, surely it would depend on whether the people that Zeph is doing the work for declare it as an expenditure to the Inland Revenue? If they don't, then the taxman wouldn't find out, or am I just being a :dunce: ?

ScaredWebWarrior
30-03-2005, 16:48
Would the taxman find out though? If it's all cash in hand, surely it would depend on whether the people that Zeph is doing the work for declare it as an expenditure to the Inland Revenue? If they don't, then the taxman wouldn't find out, or am I just being a :dunce: ?

It is maybe unlikely that the taxman will find out, but it could happen and if it did then he would be in trouble.

I sometimes work on folk's computers - but only friends & relatives and then never for 'pay'. (I usually get a nice bottle of red wine to take home though ;))

Nugget
30-03-2005, 16:51
It is maybe unlikely that the taxman will find out, but it could happen and if it did then he would be in trouble.

I sometimes work on folk's computers - but only friends & relatives and then never for 'pay'. (I usually get a nice bottle of red wine to take home though ;))

Absolutely, and I do agree with you :tu:, I just think that it's unlikely to be a problem. Having said that, it's wise to check it all out anyway :)

ian@huth
30-03-2005, 17:07
In some areas that I have lived in there have been clubs set up to take advantage of other members expertese. If you are a computer tech you will look after other members computers and in return get your gardening done by the groups gardener or your car fixed by the car mechanic in the group. All sorts of people join these groups, painters & decoraters, joiners, gardeners, plasterers, car mechanics, hairdressers, cooks, teachers, babysitters, etc. They earn hours for the work they do and exchange them for hours provided by someone doing things for them. This idea saves the members loads of money and lets them do jobs they enjoy doing whilst getting experts doing jobs for them that they hate.

paulyoung666
30-03-2005, 17:14
In some areas that I have lived in there have been clubs set up to take advantage of other members expertese. If you are a computer tech you will look after other members computers and in return get your gardening done by the groups gardener or your car fixed by the car mechanic in the group. All sorts of people join these groups, painters & decoraters, joiners, gardeners, plasterers, car mechanics, hairdressers, cooks, teachers, babysitters, etc. They earn hours for the work they do and exchange them for hours provided by someone doing things for them. This idea saves the members loads of money and lets them do jobs they enjoy doing whilst getting experts doing jobs for them that they hate.

any links to it , sounds interesting to me :)

ScaredWebWarrior
30-03-2005, 17:22
any links to it , sounds interesting to me :)

aka Local Exchange and Trading Schemes

http://www.gmlets.u-net.com/

http://www.hants.gov.uk/istcclr/cch34972.html

http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/skelly/letsbuzz/aboutlets.html

ETC.

( http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=+Local+Exchange+and+Trading+Schemes&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB )

ian@huth
30-03-2005, 17:24
any links to it , sounds interesting to me :)No, sorry. It was something I first came across when I lived in York and came across it again when we lived in Newton Abbot. In both cases I found out about it just by asking a neighbour if they knew a good tradesman for something I wanted doing. The one in York started out with a few people talking in the local pub about the idea and expanded it by putting cards in the local newsagents window explaining the idea.

Halcyon
30-03-2005, 17:39
I remember someone telling me that you could just ask your customers to utter the worlds "Here is a gift of £xx" for you.
Then it is a gift, and not payment, in a way, and therfore not taxable.
Not sure if thats true though.

ScaredWebWarrior
30-03-2005, 17:48
I remember someone telling me that you could just ask your customers to utter the worlds "Here is a gift of £xx" for you.

I'll try get my employers to do that on a monthly basis. ;)

Earl of Bronze
30-03-2005, 18:46

I think its called a Gift Declaration, and has to have both parties names, and signed by the ''giver''. Oh, and be less than £3000. Thats how the money transfers work in pyramid scheemes. :erm: