PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree

Escapee
29-03-2005, 20:16
Well, confession time. This is actually not about looking up my family tree, but finding out some very old information about a public house that used to be on the land I now own. I thought the family tree researchers could possibly have some tips for me.

I have seen the 1901 census online, but I think the pub closed before this date. I also understand there was a murder on my land before the pub closed, so perhaps that could be a way of doing a bit of research. I have all the deeds dating back to 1835, but cant find any mention of the pub, there is a letter from the "ministry of health" dated 1939 stating that the tennants had to vacate the cottages within three months for demolition, I belive cottages No's 11,12 and 13 were demolished around this date, but no's 9 and 10 appeared to of survived until 1955. Some stonework of the pub was still standing when my grandfather purchased the land in the mid 60's and theres still remains of the pub cellar in my garden.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can research, its just a bit of interest on my part. The deeds have been very useful, but the only reference to anything to do with beer at this location is a name on the deeds, that has his occupation as "Brewer" and address named as my street in the 1901 census.

Is there any older census available online?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Silent Wings
29-03-2005, 20:28
Don't know if this would be any help to you

http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/

Escapee
29-03-2005, 20:59
Don't know if this would be any help to you

http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/

Thanks, that may be a help.

I have had a quick look, and the most important thing I cant find is the cost! I will have to register and find out some more.

I have already found some interesting info, the pub on my land is not listed but back in 1921 there was a population of 51,827 and there were 147 licenced premises. That means there were 348 people on the cencus per public house, even more amazing when you consider a percentage of the cencus were not old enough to use these public houses.

I have hit other snags because many streets have been renamed over the years, some streets give a clue around here like "Malthouse Lane" but my parents road "Wainfelin Road" used to be called "Manchester Street"

I wonder if my library has some old maps and info. :cool:

allieyoung666
29-03-2005, 21:02
Why dont you go to the land registry themsleves, they would most probally be your best bet!

Silent Wings
29-03-2005, 21:05
I don't know where you live, but most cities have a records archive centre.

When you have a spare day, you could trawl through all the records and maps of the area you are intersted in.

allieyoung666
29-03-2005, 21:08
We have the deeds which came with the house, so why dont you try your local history society, they might be able to help you

Escapee
29-03-2005, 21:37
We have the deeds which came with the house, so why dont you try your local history society, they might be able to help you

My grandfather tried the local historical route a number of years ago, without any success. It seems strange that when he bought the land in 1965 the pub must of been three storey, because the basement and first floor were still standing.

It seems hard to believe that it was still fairly intact in 1965 but no mention of it on the land in the 1901 census :confused:

The land registery has been good so far, I have received more paperwork since the house purchase has been completed. There was always a doubt over the ownership of a footpath between my property and the terraced housesnext door, the land registry paperwork makes it clear that I own the land but states I am to allow occassional access to the terraced houses.

I have no intention of being awkward, and the path is fenced off from my land. the council did however try to claim they owned it to get themselves out of access trouble and save themselves some money.