PDA

View Full Version : Mac/IP Adrress Renew

Dr Owned
29-03-2005, 17:34
I'll Introduce myself first, lo how do I am new Dr Owned please to meet you and hope you are haveing a good day.

I had a surfboard modem a few years ago which was really good, didnt have any problems with it at all first class modem and service from ntl and motarola.

Since then I have moved house and was unable to keep the modem as ntl wanted it back boo hoo :) So I got one of these ntl home modems not a looker like the surfboard but what can you do.

Anyway on the old surfboard you could take out the ethernet cable reboot the moden and plug it in to another pc or laptop, but with this new ntl home modem it will not let you use it cause the mac address is different on the other pc/laptop.

As you can imagine its a right pain in the neck if you want to go online as it will not accept the new mac from the other pc/laptop and give out the ip adrress, I have tryed rebooting the modem serveral times and leaving it on for a day and sill no connection?

I know I could go out and get a router, but what happens if this comp is not working the only thing I can do is take the ethernet card out this one and put it in the other pc, but not the laptop of course cause it wont fit.

Is there anyway round this at all, how do you get the moden to accept a new mac as quickly as possible?

paulyoung666
29-03-2005, 17:37
hi and :welcome: to the site , you cant as far as i know :( , enjoy your stay :)

ian@huth
29-03-2005, 17:40
The NTL home modems should be able to recognise three different MAC addresses in a four hour period so you should not have problem or delay if just swapping from one computer to another.

Dr Owned
29-03-2005, 17:44
yeah thanks for the info, 4 hours you say emm I did have it one requesting a mac for over 10 hours and only ever had the one mac in the memory.

Well even at 4 hours its a bit of a long time to wait to get access to the internet from the modem.

paulyoung666
29-03-2005, 18:02
looks as though it is router time then , they are cheap enough and sound as though it will save you a lot of hassle :tu: :)

BBKing
29-03-2005, 19:03
Hmm, something's not right. It should go:

1) Unplug PC #1
2) Power cycle modem (mains plug out, wait ten seconds, mains plug in)
3) Plug in PC #2

At which point the modem has forgotten the MAC of PC #1 and will happily forward requests from PC #2 to the DHCP server, which will lease it an IP.

So we need to know this - has PC #2 *ever* been able to get an IP? That strikes me as key.

Dr Owned
29-03-2005, 19:41
2 pc's and 1 laptop have never been given a mac by the modem.

BBKing
29-03-2005, 19:58
Right, so there's a possible issue there, that they're somehow set up wrong (firewalls/corrupt networking/set to a static IP).

What OS combinations are you using on all this kit?

If you've got that many devices that you might want to connect, a router really is going to save you a lot of effort. Get a wireless one and you'll never need to plug the laptops in again.

What's the MAC address of the modem? It's underneath it on a sticker. I can see which devices are in the modem's MAC cache from that.

Tezcatlipoca
30-03-2005, 00:16
What's the MAC address of the modem? It's underneath it on a sticker. I can see which devices are in the modem's MAC cache from that.

Dr Owned -

BBKing does work for ntl, & can be trusted with your modem's MAC address.

It is best to PM it to him - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/private.php?do=newpm&userid=111