PDA

View Full Version : Whats my proxy.......

Ramrod
23-06-2003, 18:13
How come that when I press the 'whats my proxy' link on the front page I am told that I don't have a proxy:confused:
....what is a proxy, do I need one, etc......?:confused:
(I'm not really all that au-fait with this internet thingymajig ):)

Chimaera
23-06-2003, 18:17
Snap! When TOS went t*ts up recently i was instructed by a mod to use a site (proxyguardster) which re-directed me to the site.
Don't understand proxies at all!
*becomes more nerd-like, de-fragging yesterday and proxies today*

Richard M
23-06-2003, 18:17
Originally posted by Ramrod
How come that when I press the 'whats my proxy' link on the front page I am told that I don't have a proxy:confused:
....what is a proxy, do I need one, etc......?:confused:
(I'm not really all that au-fait with this internet thingymajig ):)

:D

Maybe NTL have switched proxies off in your area?
I coded that so any feedback is quite welcome by the way.

Here is a good explanation of a proxy:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/proxy_server.html

Chris
23-06-2003, 18:31
The nthw.com foul-up started days upon days of people posting traceroutes, trying different proxies, etc etc etc...

Technology tamed? Pah!

From that definition in Webopaedia, Proxies are meant to speed things up, yet a lot of people posting said proxies were actually slowing them down. Somehow that sounds so ntl.

According to my System Preferences there are no proxies set up on my machine. Why would ntl make some people use them and others not?

And how does a proxy server know that a web page hasn't been updated since it cached it?

Steve H
23-06-2003, 18:33
If you want to see if your running a proxy, goto Tools, Internet Options, Connections Tab at the top.. Then its on that page.. (presuming your running IE of course), There's a List of Proxies earlier in the thread i think.

poolking
23-06-2003, 18:35
I'm not running through a proxy.

Chris
23-06-2003, 18:40
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
If you want to see if your running a proxy, goto Tools, Internet Options, Connections Tab at the top.. Then its on that page.. (presuming your running IE of course), There's a List of Proxies earlier in the thread i think.

For the sake of equality, if you're running a Mac (OS X): :)

1. Start System Preferences from the Dock
2. Under 'Internet and Network' click the Network icon
3. When the Network window opens, click the Proxies tab

Not that I can tell you what any of the scary stuff in the Network prefs window means, you understand...

Ramrod
23-06-2003, 19:17
Ta people. So the way I understand it is that, since I'm not 'running a proxy', I am conected directly to the ntl 'main servers'-for want of a better expression?

paulyoung666
23-06-2003, 19:28
the thing with proxies is , you can jump to another and overload another area causing them to run slow :mad: :mad: , for the sake of others it is best , imo to leave alone till you are sorted ;)

kronas
23-06-2003, 19:29
im gonna say this again its great to be proxyless

hope NTL dont stick there oar in and switch them on.......again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ramrod
23-06-2003, 19:44
Originally posted by paulyoung666
the thing with proxies is , you can jump to another
how do you jump to another proxy?

paulyoung666
23-06-2003, 19:58
if you want to try it here you go ntl proxys (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#ntl) , dont blame me if it goes tits up for you ;)

Martin
23-06-2003, 20:00
Originally posted by kronas
im gonna say this again its great to be proxyless

hope NTL dont stick there oar in and switch them on.......again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'll second that proxies where a hassle last time we had them in Manchester, good riddance to em. I just hope they never come back.

Ramrod
23-06-2003, 20:04
Originally posted by paulyoung666
if you want to try it here you go ntl proxys (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#ntl) , dont blame me if it goes tits up for you ;)
Thanks for that. I'm not going to try it, but its nice to know that I can.

Martin
23-06-2003, 20:09
Your not going to do anything drastic by going through another proxy:) Just takes time finding a good one and even then that one can suddenly go dead. No proxies in Manchester so I have no need to choose one but when we did have them I was forever hopping about.

paulyoung666
23-06-2003, 20:13
Originally posted by Martin
Your not going to do anything drastic by going through another proxy:) Just takes time finding a good one and even then that one can suddenly go dead. No proxies in Manchester so I have no need to choose one but when we did have them I was forever hopping about.

like a mad hopping thing , eh mart ;)

Martin
23-06-2003, 20:16
I was more hopping mad when the NTL tech peeps kept saying there wasn't a problem. Eventually the proxy went and I seem to remember there was mention of trying to figure out what went wrong but they haven't come back here.:) Some people love proxies and some hate them.