PDA

View Full Version : ADSL (BT) Wireless Solutions....

JediMaster
28-03-2005, 15:55
My friend is on BT ADSL (2MB)
He wants to share it with his son upstairs.

I have a network here on NTL. But on ADSL its different. So any tips??? :confused:

Saw this LINK on EBuyer not sure if it is what he needs....
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=6364142397&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=64619
Quickfind code: 64619

He has 2x Modems but are USB. If he got the above (or anything like it if you recomend any better ones)???

How will it work? On NTL my Cable is on 24/7 so if I am on the PC upstairs its on. Switch PC off & go to Laptop its still online. No Dial Up. But ADSL has to Dial Up. So if my friend had a Router downstairs & his son upstairs wants to go on, then the PC downstairs goes OFF. Will son still be on?

Cheers

Any tips or links welcomed.
Is it easy to set up ADSL Wireless? I did NTL one after a bit of playing around.

TIA

Shaun
28-03-2005, 16:07
How will it work? On NTL my Cable is on 24/7 so if I am on the PC upstairs its on. Switch PC off & go to Laptop its still online. No Dial Up. But ADSL has to Dial Up. So if my friend had a Router downstairs & his son upstairs wants to go on, then the PC downstairs goes OFF. Will son still be on?

It's the same as your NTL network, in your case you have both a separate modem and router. In the case of ADSL the router does both the modem bit and the router bit. When you turn the router on it logs on to the net for you and then as long as it's on you are connected.

Be aware that some of the ADSL packages are time dependent and not usage dependent (like dial up used to be). If you are on one of these packages then you will want to disconnect the router from the Internet when you are not using it.

I found that my first network was up and running in about 1.5 hours once I figured out how to get XP talking to the other PC. My second one only took about 20 min to set up.

Also worth pointing out is that most wireless routers don't have the security on by default, this really is a must, especially if you do net banking etc.

One last point to mention, many find that if they buy the wireless adapters from a different manufacturer to their router they have compatibility problems. Just worth remembering. ;)

HTH

JediMaster
28-03-2005, 18:09
Thanks a LOT :D That really answered my Questions.

The Security thing... Is it easy to set up? Or need a Brain like Steven Hawkins :confused:

Shaun
28-03-2005, 18:14
Depends on the routers menu, generally you can set it up through the web interface where you enter your ADSL details. My routers accessible by typing 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of IE.

JediMaster
29-03-2005, 10:05
Depends on the routers menu, generally you can set it up through the web interface where you enter your ADSL details. My routers accessible by typing 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of IE.

So is my Router (for my NTL 2MB)
But what settings do you select?? Or is every Router different? I was not sure if they use a Standard Option Setting?

Graham M
29-03-2005, 10:10
I used 2 D-Link routers yesterday, physically identical, completely different and confusing firmware, so routers even in the same brand can be very different!