PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace my STB with a cable Modem

bstock
28-03-2005, 15:29
Hi,

I currently have an NTL STB which takes quite a bit of room up but I now only use it to receive broadband.

My question is, can I purchase a cable modem and transfer the cable from the STB to the modem without too much fuss therefore freeing up space under the TV.

Cheers

Brian
:confused:

paulyoung666
28-03-2005, 15:30
hi and :welcome: to the site , no you cannot purchase , ntl will replace your stb with a sacm :)

bstock
28-03-2005, 15:49
Thanks for the quick reply.

Was hoping we could do just in case we decided to opt back to the TV options at a later date - never mind.

Just wondered why there are there so many ntl cable modems advertised on ebay if you aren't allowed to acually use them - or are they selling something different?

Any idea how much NTL charge?

- just wondered and still confused I'm afraid but nothing new there

Thanks
--
Brian

paulyoung666
28-03-2005, 16:12
the modems shouldnt be on e-bay unless they were original customer owned modems , regardless , i cant see why ppl would buy them as ntl supply them anyway :confused: , i dont think there is a charge although i may be wrong on that point :erm: :D :D :D

botchla
29-03-2005, 19:43
the modems shouldnt be on e-bay unless they were original customer owned modems , regardless , i cant see why ppl would buy them as ntl supply them anyway :confused: , i dont think there is a charge although i may be wrong on that point :erm: :D :D :D
Nope, they don't charge.

They're coming round mine on the 9th to upgrade me to a CM and thus 2Mb.

bstock
29-03-2005, 19:53
But if like myself you aren't actually upgrading it might be a little different.

Not much incentive for NTL

daz300
29-03-2005, 20:17
they wanted me to pay a call out fee of £35.00 to do it . .

The Daddy
31-03-2005, 09:19
Hi,

I have just had my set top box replaced with a modem (nice shiny 250!) as I no longer had the TV and it was taking up too much space. I didn't get charged for this, I just rang up and asked for it to be swapped and they did.

And as a bonus I can now get 2Mb as my old STB only went to 1Mb :)

So I don't see why you would get charged..

Tezcatlipoca
31-03-2005, 19:07
Just wondered why there are there so many ntl cable modems advertised on ebay if you aren't allowed to acually use them - or are they selling something different?

Modems bought off Ebay etc won't work, as they won't be registered with ntl (they're also effectively stolen - unless they're actually old ones from when people bought their own).

As to why people buy them...well, it's Ebay. People buy anything from there.

ntl should be able to swap you over to a standalone modem without problem. Give 'em a call.