PDA

View Full Version : How long is IP leased for?

bassmonkey
27-03-2005, 15:28
Hi all

Just curious: How long does NTL lease my IP for (2Mb)? I have noticed it changes every few months, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a set amount of time?

Tricky
27-03-2005, 15:45
No set time I believe I've had mine since August 2004 :)

DarkFX
27-03-2005, 15:58
I had my previous IP for over 12 months..

Graham M
27-03-2005, 16:38
I have my previous IP for nearly 2 years !

BBKing
27-03-2005, 16:43
Could be 7 days, could be years. There are two issues, one is the amount of time you get the DHCP lease for, the other is the amount of time before ntl make some change like resegmentation or changing IP ranges which render your old address unavailable. If your area is left alone it's quite possible you'll keep the same IP, particularly if you never turn your router or PC off.

Chrysalis
28-03-2005, 01:54
Mine normally last until something bombs out, usually 3 to 6 months.

Paul
28-03-2005, 02:23
Just curious: How long does NTL lease my IP for (2Mb)? I have noticed it changes every few months, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a set amount of time?The lease time is two days (well in Nottingham it is). However, unless something changes, you will get the same IP each time it is renewed, and this can carry on for months, or even years in some cases.

jrhnewark
28-03-2005, 06:59
'Tis two days in Nottingham - never practically tested it myself though, I'm on the connection everyday (and the webserver and FTP runs 24 hours).

I need more holidays... :D

Toto
28-03-2005, 11:11
Unless you are behind a router, you can usually determine the life of your IP by calling up a command line (In XP, start, run, cmd then enter), and typing ipconfig /all. I'm not sure what lease time is preset by ntl, although the above would suggest two days.

However, the same IP will be reassigned to you at the end of that lease period if it has not been assigned to another client. Usually in an under utilised region will mean that an IP address will be assigned to the same client for weeks, even months.