PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! Please help, NTWORLD and routers!

teatime
26-03-2005, 11:20
hello all, I have had a look around and haven't found anything on the subject.

My friend has NTLWorld, and he wanted to setup wireless. He has purchased a D-Link wireless router which came with a wireless USB stick. (Just a plain old ADSL modem router, I figured this would be ok as it is just an ADSL service)

However the NTLworld technical support line INSISTS they dont support routers, and that they can't give me the details I need to punch into his router.

Is there a global setting? Can someone else give me an example of a login for a router?

for example is it PPoE/A, VPI settings, and username example.

Georgeh
26-03-2005, 11:50
Sorry but NTL is not ADSL, so a ADSL router will not work.

What you need is a DSL router

Try this web site on Ebuyer to see the choices

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=UFNQcm9kdWN0U2VhcmNoUmVzdWx0cw%3 D%3D&order_col=sell_price&order=ASC&subcat_uid=1160

I have a Linksys WRT54G-UK which works with the software default.

Halcyon
26-03-2005, 11:57
Firstly, :welcome: to the site. I hope you enjoy it here.

As far as I know, NTL dont offer ADSL as yet, thuogh its supposedly in the pipeline.
You would need a router intended for cable modems, that does not contain an ADSL modem.
It should then be a simple process of hooking the NTL cable modem into the router and then connecting the USB wireless sticks to the back of your PC's.

Rone
26-03-2005, 14:29
You can get a D-Link Cable router, built in firewall for under £30, the wireless ones cost a little more. ;)

hutchy
26-03-2005, 15:38
I use a Netgear wireless router and all I had to set up for it to work with NTL broadband was to set the WEP keys, it auto-detected the NTL settings.

Matth
26-03-2005, 18:22
NTL do ADSL, but not on their network - so if he's an "off-net" customer on "NTL Freedom", then it could be ADSL.

inspector clueso
26-03-2005, 18:38
NTL does provide an ADSL service over BT line, I have it and am using it right now;)

NTL Freedom Broadband.

general ADSL modem/router settings

VPI=0
VCI=38
ENCAPSULATION MODE= (PPPoA) RFC2364
MUX=VC
MTU= 1458 or 1500

Use the FULL user name and addy for log in that you were provided with, which will be like this:- yourusernamehere@adsl.ntlworld.com
and your password.

If its a router for a cable connection a standard router will do and you cannot use an adsl modem/router.

i hope this helps.

teatime
26-03-2005, 19:35
Thank you inspector clueso, that is bang on :D

thank you all, but this IS an adsl service. The modem NTL provided is definetely an average ADSL modem and there is no way, other than USB, of connecting this modem to any kind of router.

I will try the settings you provided tommorrow on Easter (joy ;))

thank you all for replying, happy easter

oh and BTW inspector clueso, how did you find out those details? PM me if the method was a bit unauthodox ;)

inspector clueso
27-03-2005, 02:46
Thank you inspector clueso, that is bang on :D

thank you all, but this IS an adsl service. The modem NTL provided is definetely an average ADSL modem and there is no way, other than USB, of connecting this modem to any kind of router.

I will try the settings you provided tommorrow on Easter (joy ;))

thank you all for replying, happy easter

oh and BTW inspector clueso, how did you find out those details? PM me if the method was a bit unauthodox ;)

Your welcome m8, glad to be of help.
The info was given to me by a very nice NTL employee believe it or not from Newport (if your looking in, thanks again m8 for your help I see your name down there on the member list).;)

Other additional info that might be needed depending on the modem/router setup:- ADSL Modulation = Auto or G.DMT or ANSI T1.413

I used those settings i originally posted on mine and it works perfectly.:D

Anyway have fun m8.:D

teatime
29-03-2005, 20:22
yup its all up and running with a sexy new netgear ADSL, I repeat ADSL router. I think it is atrocious that NTL refused this support and that there is bugger all in terms of information and resources for this service. I am so glad I chose Pipex myself, (especilly since they are upgrading me to 1MB :) )

So thank you all at cableforum.co.uk

And NTL if you are reading this, ADMIN EDIT [NEMESIS] - Profanity Removed