PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for maintaining email account?

msec
12-09-2003, 19:37
I'm currently a ntl dial-up user considering moving to a faster connection type (i.e. cable or xDSL). In the process I'd like to reduce the three NTL pstn lines (don't ask!) currently installed reduced to one.

The problem is that I'd like the freedom to consider non-NTL connection solutions while maintaining my NTL email address. At the moment that seems to mean continuing to pay £10 per month for a dial-up connection I wouldn't be using any more, for the sake of keeping the email accounts alive; do I have any other options?

/msec

handyman
12-09-2003, 19:44
Sure change your account into a PAYG one. Simple you can keep your account open permanantly by simply dialling in every now and then. Plus if required you can use you ntl email on another isp.

msec
16-09-2003, 21:14
Originally posted by handyman
Sure change your account into a PAYG one.

I feel foolish that I didn't grasp the significance of this option. Thanks for your suggestion!

/msec

Dooby
03-10-2003, 16:04
Simple you can keep your account open permanantly by simply dialling in every now and then. Plus if required you can use you ntl email on another isp.
You dont even need to dial-up, just check your POP3 email account ( thats all I do )

note that if you want to access the NTL email address from another ISP you will be fine accessing your ntl POP3 account, but you will still need to use the ISPs own SMTP server for outgoing email.

zaax
05-11-2003, 02:14
You dont even need to dial-up, just check your POP3 email account ( thats all I do )

note that if you want to access the NTL email address from another ISP you will be fine accessing your ntl POP3 account, but you will still need to use the ISPs own SMTP server for outgoing email.

I don't even think at is nessary what about webmail?

Dooby
05-11-2003, 11:49
webmail is fine if you want to use it, but if you want to use the NTL account via a normal mail client I was just highlighting the fact that the SMTP server you send mail via is ALWAYS your connection related SMTP server, not the one for the mail account. ( unless the SMTP server you are sending to is a spam friendly open mail relay that some f**ktard is operating )

downquark1
05-11-2003, 12:00
The funny thing is I still have a cwcom.net address :D My outlook checks automatically and it response faster than the ntlworld.com server.

albone
05-11-2003, 19:14
just a word of caution with regards to using the online webmail, it is very limited time wise. You would have a job to type fast enough to use it!! I am not the worlds slowest typer nor the fastest but have had time outs more often than not, which can be very frustrating 'cos you loose what you've written if that happens!

Dooby
06-11-2003, 11:25
just a word of caution with regards to using the online webmail, it is very limited time wise. You would have a job to type fast enough to use it!! I am not the worlds slowest typer nor the fastest but have had time outs more often than not, which can be very frustrating 'cos you loose what you've written if that happens!
If I have to use the webmail, I tend to write anything in notepad or something first, then go into the webmail and copy and paste ( also have to do this if the kids are typing anything )