PDA

View Full Version : Good Friday and eating meat

ZrByte
25-03-2005, 14:18
Just curious how many of you still adhere to the no meat rule on a good friday?
It just occured to me that some people who follow the rule dont even know why they are doing it. Just five minutes ago my Dad (an Athiest) was disgusted by the fact that I was tucking into a bacon sandwich, I pointed out his own beliefs to him and he thought for a second, nodded his head and walked away.
I was just wondering how many of you christians do eat meat on a good friday and how many of you non-christains dont?

gazzae
25-03-2005, 14:25
Never heard of not eating meat on good friday.

Tuftus
25-03-2005, 14:30
Me neither.

Curry for Tea tonight...

:D

ZrByte
25-03-2005, 14:33
hmm, odd, everone around here seems to do it, I remember getting asked (a lot) last year by customers what I was having for my tea as most people try and do something special (normally a fish dish).

Earl of Bronze
25-03-2005, 14:36
I will be eating a large RARE STEAK tonight. :D

So why do christians not eat meat on Good Friday anyway? :confused:

Stephen
25-03-2005, 14:43
It is traditionally a Day of Fasting Cause it is the Day Jesus Died on the cross.

goldoni
25-03-2005, 14:57
In English, the name "Good Friday" is generally believed to be a corruption of "God's Friday." From very early times, the Holy Day has been observed by Christians everywhere as the most solemn fast of the year, a day of sadness, mourning, fasting and prayer. The rest of the year on this day Christians would only eat fish in remembrance of "Godââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s Friday".

Me I'm off for a curry :D

Flubflow
25-03-2005, 15:00
It is traditionally a Day of Fasting Cause it is the Day Jesus Died on the cross.

allegedly

philip.j.fry
25-03-2005, 15:16
Never heard of not eating meat on good friday.

I've never heard of it either. Funnily enough though I'm not eating meat for dinner tonight, but that's because we have veggie friends over :)

dilli-theclaw
25-03-2005, 15:36
I also never heard of the no eating meat thing on good friday either :) - I guess if I was into religion in a deep way then I would.

Earl of Bronze
25-03-2005, 16:12
allegedly

My thoughts exactly. :D

Macca371
25-03-2005, 16:28
The original tradition was not to eat at all on Good Friday and to fast the whole day through, but it has evolved to not eating meat. I think it's originally a Catholic tradition where you are not meant to meat on Good Friday and Ash Wednesday. We (my family) used to observe this but we don't any more.

Many Catholics/Christians also climb a hill on Good Friday, apparently to feel what Jesus supposedly felt all those years ago.

dilli-theclaw
25-03-2005, 16:30
I wish there was a 'I didn't know anything about this' option on the poll.

Theodoric
25-03-2005, 16:38
I always understood that it was Catholic practice not to eat meat on any Friday.

bmxbandit
25-03-2005, 16:38
i wasnt aware it was easter weekend until i saw this thread... as far as i'm concerned it just messes around with shop opening times :erm:

goldoni
25-03-2005, 16:44
i wasnt aware it was easter weekend until i saw this thread... as far as i'm concerned it just messes around with shop opening times :erm:
Donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t they have Easter eggs in Nottingham then? ;) And what about the day off?

Flubflow
25-03-2005, 16:51

Yeah, I forgot about until I was reminded earlier this week `cos some bills were due today. ;)

Most supermarkets and big shops are open except on Easter Sunday.

Also, if anyone wanted evidence to show that most people do not regard it as a time of fasting then just go down to your local supermarket today. You'd think there was going to be a famine or a war. It's almost as bad as the run up to christmas.

Stephen
25-03-2005, 17:11
I always understood that it was Catholic practice not to eat meat on any Friday.
This used to be the tradition as when I was in primary school many years ago it always got mentioned.

Also to this day the Canteen at work always has fish for Lunch on a friday.

goldoni
25-03-2005, 19:22
I was brought up in a Christian Home that did not have any Roman Catholic children or even staff. While we were well fed we never had any meat on a Friday.

The silly thing was the fish chips were cooked in animal fat, the boiled egg was from a chicken so the rule was still broken.

The outside school I attended only served fish on Fridays.

bmxbandit
25-03-2005, 19:43
Donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t they have Easter eggs in Nottingham then? ;) And what about the day off?
easter eggs have been in the shops for months. plus, being a student, the easter break is four weeks long... so i'm really not that interested in whch weekend is what!

(which also means i don't stop working just because today is a bank holiday...)

greencreeper
25-03-2005, 21:04
Yeah - Catholics eat fish on Fridays. Shakespeare makes a reference to it in Hamlet.

Halcyon
25-03-2005, 21:11
Fish is very good for you so its got to be a good thing to eat fish.

greencreeper
25-03-2005, 21:14
Fish is very good for you so its got to be a good thing to eat fish.
I have a bone hang-up, so even though I like fish, I very rarely eat it.

dilli-theclaw
25-03-2005, 21:15
I have a bone hang-up, so even though I like fish, I very rarely eat it.

I nearly died choking on a bone so I dont either... A fish finger is about my limit.

Tuftus
25-03-2005, 21:19
Me neither.

Curry for Tea tonight...

I can report that my Chicken Dopiaza was lush...

greencreeper
25-03-2005, 21:26
I nearly died choking on a bone so I dont either... A fish finger is about my limit.
Hmmm. Trouble with them is that they're often full of pollock. What's a pollock? :erm: Do I want to know?

daxx
26-03-2005, 02:00
Friday = fish day, has been since primary school days (C of E) or 'Fast Day' (fluids only) since i started getting IMO 'tubby'.

Graham
26-03-2005, 02:56
The outside school I attended only served fish on Fridays.

Yes, my primary school did the same thing. It was either fish or fish fingers on alternate weeks.

carlingman
26-03-2005, 03:55
From memory traditionally Christians fast or at least abstain from meat on Good Friday.