PDA

View Full Version : Bury F.C in Trouble

Daniel davies
19-03-2005, 15:26
posted this on behalf of a mate as I support Brentford F.C

Hello football friends - you may or may not be aware that bury fc are having difficulties financially and that we may not last out the season. This is not down to the fans that pay hard earned money to watch the shakers but the fact is that we in the north west have the most football teams in our region than any other and most within a stones throw away from each other. (6 premier, 4 championship, 5 teams league1, 4 teams league2 along with many conference teams)

I am sure you will all agree that the 120 years of football league history along with the record of holding the FA cup final most goals scored (6-0) in which we went through the whole comp without conceding a single goal will tell you that it will be a shame if this football club went out of business.

GOOD FRIDAY 25th MARCH - BURY vs GRIMSBY

Bury fc are holding a fill the ground day to mark its 120 year history and hope to attract 12,000 football fans from all clubs to celebrate this lucrative event, Please show your support and help out in this desperate time of need as it may be the only chance you get to watch a match at gigg lane and you also dont have a game that week.

Tickets are being reduced in price for the event but only if you buy before the matchday and are priced as follows.

Adult Ticket = £10 (matchday price is £14)
Concessions = £2 (matchday price is £5)

To book your tickets in advance phone the club on 0161 764 4881

Please help as we do need all the support, if you do come to the game wear your own team colours so we know who you are.

yesman
19-03-2005, 20:51
Sorry to hear about Bury's plight.
It seems to be the norm these days for football clubs who are not owned by mega rich chairman, or who are not premiership status to fall into financial difficulties.

Cambridge United had a "Fans United Day" only today as it happens and there was quite a turnout from other teams supporters, such as Sunderland, Norwich City, Peterborough United, West Ham United, Arsenal, Wrexham, Lincoln City, Brighton, plus a few others.

Wrexham's fans were in abundance as their plight is still ongoing ? I have to take my hat off to those guys who travelled all that distance to show support for fans united at Cambridge today.

At half time there was a photo call for the supporters of other teams to go on the pitch for the local newspaper, and I estimated there to be about 300 or so from various clubs around the country, it became quite an emotional event as the applause for these supporters lasted for about five minutes.

It was a fantastic day organised by CFU (http://www.cambridgefansunited.org/), so hats off to them, it is to early to know how much money was raised, but I suppose we will be informed in due course.

Good luck to Bury....
May I suggest that you make the plight known by posting here (http://www.wst.org.uk/wst/index.php), here (http://www.cambridge-united.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home) and here (http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home) if you haven't already

allieyoung666
19-03-2005, 21:03
I am so sorry to hear that, we supported Darlo and York when they were facing trouble, Good luck for the future and I hope it sorts itself out mate!!!

Nidge
20-03-2005, 08:57
Supporters buy outs seems to be the in thing at the moment. My club Mansfield Town FC have a fans trust up and waiting to take over the club, the Chairman will not sell the whole shooting match he will only sell the name MTFC not the ground or the land it stands on, the money is in place to buy him out but he will not sell for less than £3milli on, with the ground you'll be looking at £6milli on.Not a bad investment to say he only paid £1 for the club 15 years ago.

timewarrior2001
20-03-2005, 10:06
Its becoming more common for this to happen.
Old grounds take massive upkeep costs, players wages, whilst playes will take pay cuts etc they still need to make enough to carry them through ofter retirement.

Perhaps its down to the sums of money going into the premiership, its ridiculous, I htink the premiership should fund a charity to assist clubs in lower leagues when thye hit financial trouble.

As a middlesbrough fan I understand how devestating it can be, I remember the gates being locked with chains at Ayresome park and the boro having to play their games at Hartlepools victoria ground.

Nidge
20-03-2005, 11:22
Its becoming more common for this to happen.
Old grounds take massive upkeep costs, players wages, whilst playes will take pay cuts etc they still need to make enough to carry them through ofter retirement.

Perhaps its down to the sums of money going into the premiership, its ridiculous, I htink the premiership should fund a charity to assist clubs in lower leagues when thye hit financial trouble.

As a middlesbrough fan I understand how devestating it can be, I remember the gates being locked with chains at Ayresome park and the boro having to play their games at Hartlepools victoria ground.

Don't you think the lower league clubs will get into trouble on purpose then let the fund dig them out???? Lower league clubs can be run on a profit basis, look at Lincoln City they are owned by their fans and last season they made £750,00 0 profit this was after all costs were taken out wages and everything, give the fans a chance is what I say they will run the club to the best of their ability and make a profit.

allieyoung666
20-03-2005, 11:31
Fan power at the end of the day, The FA is not interested so let the fans run these smaller league clubs, York is ran by its fans and they have done okay. Darlo fans even managed to keep the club afloat while they management was looking for a buyer.

yesman
20-03-2005, 14:00
Sorry to hear about Bury's plight.
It seems to be the norm these days for football clubs who are not owned by mega rich chairman, or who are not premiership status to fall into financial difficulties.

Cambridge United had a "Fans United Day" only today as it happens and there was quite a turnout from other teams supporters, such as Sunderland, Norwich City, Peterborough United, West Ham United, Arsenal, Wrexham, Lincoln City, Brighton, plus a few others.

Wrexham's fans were in abundance as their plight is still ongoing ? I have to take my hat off to those guys who travelled all that distance to show support for fans united at Cambridge today.

At half time there was a photo call for the supporters of other teams to go on the pitch for the local newspaper, and I estimated there to be about 300 or so from various clubs around the country, it became quite an emotional event as the applause for these supporters lasted for about five minutes.

It was a fantastic day organised by CFU (http://www.cambridgefansunited.org/), so hats off to them, it is to early to know how much money was raised, but I suppose we will be informed in due course.

Good luck to Bury....
May I suggest that you make the plight known by posting here (http://www.wst.org.uk/wst/index.php), here (http://www.cambridge-united.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home) and here (http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home) if you haven't already

Update on supporters who attended yesterday's "Fans United Day" at Cambridge which proves it works and helps..........

Clubs represented at Cambridge Utd Fans United Day:

Brighton, Wrexham, Norwich City (loads of fans of these first three clubs) plus:

Bolton, Ipswich, Arsenal, Tottenham, Leicester, Crewe, Maccabi Haifa, Leeds Utd, Leyton Orient, Reading, Paris Saint Germain, Aldershot, Boston United, AFC Wimbledon, Ipswich Town, Wigan., Sunderland, Dundee, Westfield FC, Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday, Glasgow Rangers, Lincoln City, Tranmere, Sheffield Utd, Everton, Bayer Leverkusen, Derby, Barcelona, Blackburn, Queens Park Rangers, Dulwich Hamlets!!, Flamengo, Stockport County, Liverpool, West Ham, Stoke, Schalke, Boston, Millwall, Glasgow Celtic, Kings Lynn, Manchester City, Juventus, Hull City, Chelsea, Notts County, AFC Wimbledon, Nottingham Forest, Crystal Palace, Sparta Prague, Partick Thistle, AS Roma, York City, AFC Bournemouth, Burnley, Manchester Utd, Sao Paulo, Middlesborough, Coventry, Fulham, Peterborough, Bristol City, Swansea, Cardiff, Torquay, Yeovil, West Bromwich Albion, Havant & Waterlooville, Newcastle United, Borussia Dortmund, Plymouth Argyle, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Aston Villa, Luton, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Doncaster Rovers, Gillingham, West Row Gunners, Real Madrid and Wycombe Wanderers.

Other football tops spotted included Japan, Croatia, South Korea, Venezuala, Cameroon, New Zealand, Ireland and Germany!

yesman
21-03-2005, 20:01
I just found this site if it will help...........

http://www.clubsincrisis.com/Index.asp

tick
21-03-2005, 20:26
Don't you think the lower league clubs will get into trouble on purpose then let the fund dig them out???? Lower league clubs can be run on a profit basis, look at Lincoln City they are owned by their fans and last season they made £750,00 0 profit this was after all costs were taken out wages and everything, give the fans a chance is what I say they will run the club to the best of their ability and make a profit.

Is it that simple?

andyl
21-03-2005, 20:29
I live down the road from Bury's ground and it's a shame to say they are always in crisis. Never recovered from the Eaves saga - the old chairman gambling his fortune away (well speculating I guess is the proper term) and neatrly taking the club with him.

Having said that the ticket prices are too high for the entertainment - £16 for the main stand which is lot to people around here (certainly those who live around the ground). The result is pitiful crowds - they'd be better off reducing prices and getting bigger crowds.

I'll be there on Friday mind.

allieyoung666
21-03-2005, 20:30
Yeah but you have to get enough fans and local businesses to support the club and then it has to be proved that it is a viable business, before you will get people to invest.

andyl
21-03-2005, 20:30
Is it that simple?

Certainly not in Bury's case.

tick
21-03-2005, 20:48
Yeah but you have to get enough fans and local businesses to support the club and then it has to be proved that it is a viable business, before you will get people to invest.

cufc have been trying to do that for years .
dont think they will do any better this time round
I go to all there home games and some away it cost lots . :o