PDA

View Full Version : Strange parliament

greencreeper
19-03-2005, 12:10
On my way home on Thursday I heard the distinctive cry of a magpie. My dad brought me up to know one or two bird calls and about birds in general. I've never seen anything like what I saw though - magpies. Dozens of them. On roofs and in trees. All making a racket. Really, really creepy - brought Hitchcock's "The Birds" to mind. On Friday, they were all there again. I did a Google because I didn't think that magpies gathered like, say, crows or rooks. Not a lot on the web but it seems that magpies gather every spring to "discuss" terroritory - a parliament. Anyone witnessed this or knows more about their behaviour?

Escapee
19-03-2005, 12:24
On my way home on Thursday I heard the distinctive cry of a magpie. My dad brought me up to know one or two bird calls and about birds in general. I've never seen anything like what I saw though - magpies. Dozens of them. On roofs and in trees. All making a racket. Really, really creepy - brought Hitchcock's "The Birds" to mind. On Friday, they were all there again. I did a Google because I didn't think that magpies gathered like, say, crows or rooks. Not a lot on the web but it seems that magpies gather every spring to "discuss" terroritory - a parliament. Anyone witnessed this or knows more about their behaviour?

My dad warned me about birds as well ;)

Strange, I thought they were only seen in two's. However I didn't give it a thought as I remember seeing three of them this week on the road, eating something that had been run-over.

Animals/Birds are more intelligent than we give them credit.

greencreeper
19-03-2005, 13:42
Strange, I thought they were only seen in two's
Try two dozen. Must have been nearly 30 of them :disturbd:

danielf
19-03-2005, 14:25

Yes, I've seen this. About ten of them making an incredible racket. It may have been about this time of year, but I'm not sure. I had the same feeling though, I didn't think they gathered, and actually pointed them out to my girlfriend because I thought it was so odd.

greencreeper
19-03-2005, 15:04
Yes, I've seen this. About ten of them making an incredible racket. It may have been about this time of year, but I'm not sure. I had the same feeling though, I didn't think they gathered, and actually pointed them out to my girlfriend because I thought it was so odd.
Yeah - you have this feeling that something significant is going on; that they've come together for a purpose. Strange. Nearly twenty-eight years of life, having lived a lifetime and thinking I've seen it all in my time, and then this. Strange.

Richard M
19-03-2005, 17:57
I saw 4 just now...

greencreeper
19-03-2005, 18:18
I saw 4 just now...
Noisy?

Richard M
19-03-2005, 18:33
Not particularly, just hopping around and stuff.

allieyoung666
19-03-2005, 18:38
I know they are trying to take over the world!!!!!!

greencreeper
19-03-2005, 18:46
In a sad sort of way it gives me something to look forward to when I leave work :D :rolleyes:

allieyoung666
19-03-2005, 18:47
OMG, all I want to do is get home as quick as I can before any relatives collar me!!!!!