PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is going on with this country?

Richard M
11-09-2003, 12:48
Cast your mind back 15 years or so...

Our post was delivered by 8am, the milkman always left a nice cold pint on the doorstep ready for when we woke up at 7, companies actually cared about customers, our trains ran on time, kids didn't know the "f" word until they were adults, guns were something that only the biggest criminals carried and our gas company was only interested in providing gas and did a good job of it too...how times change... :grind:

Dave Stones
11-09-2003, 12:56
Originally posted by Roger K

Our post was delivered by 8am, the milkman always left a nice cold pint on the doorstep ready for when we woke up at 7, companies actually cared about customers, our trains ran on time, kids didn't know the "f" word until they were adults, guns were something that only the biggest criminals carried and our gas company was only interested in providing gas and did a good job of it too...how times change... :grind:

how times havent changed for us here...

post is delivered by 8am every day, milkman rattles his bottles at the doorstep at 4am AT THE LATEST :mad: and we have nver been harassed by our gas company about electricity :D

have to agree with the rest tho.

Paul K
11-09-2003, 12:59
Well said that man :)
Can't remember the last time our mail was delivered before 11am more than once in a week.
Milkman???? Been a while since we had one of those and when did the trains last run on time?

Dave Stones
11-09-2003, 13:08
and speaking of post its even worse if we get a special delivery or recorded delivery or something. they are delivered by a different postman in a van who comes even earlier than the other one and knocks us up :mad::mad:

we seem to be lucky with the post and the milk...

oh and we dont have a car, use public transport for everything, the trains and buses are always on time and every 15 minutes around us... guess we must be lucky:cool:

gazzae
11-09-2003, 13:10
I got my post at 7:30am this morning.

Richard M
11-09-2003, 13:11
I got mine about 30 mins ago. :rolleyes:

Stuart
11-09-2003, 13:14

Well, our post always comes at around 8:30. Might have something to do with the fact we are two streets away from the sorting office.

Never had a problem with the milkman. Mainly because we started buying milk from Sainsburys 20 years ago (it is cheaper).

Also, the trains in my area have rarely run on time, although they are a lot worse now...

I di agree with the comments about customer care, guns and the gas board though.

Paul K
11-09-2003, 13:19
Originally posted by Dave Stones
and speaking of post its even worse if we get a special delivery or recorded delivery or something. they are delivered by a different postman in a van who comes even earlier than the other one and knocks us up :mad::mad:

we seem to be lucky with the post and the milk...

oh and we dont have a car, use public transport for everything, the trains and buses are always on time and every 15 minutes around us... guess we must be lucky:cool:

I despise you;) :p :p

Russ
11-09-2003, 13:27

next you'll be saying "I remember when all this was fields" :D

Stuart
11-09-2003, 13:40
Originally posted by Russ D

Maybe he should have started the post by saying "Eee, when I were a lad"

Dave Stones
11-09-2003, 14:07
Originally posted by Russ D
well my parents can remember when they used to walk 15 miles to school through 10ft high snow drifts and beer was a penny a pint and you used to get change from a shilling etc etc...

me, i can only remembe rhte day when we had to do PE at school whether we had an excuse or not, and no child was obese...

darkangel
11-09-2003, 14:10
I got mine about 30 mins ago. :rolleyes: where do you live?
be aware in the near future due to the actions of postcom your mail will be delivered between 8am-2pm in most areas, you will lose second delivery and there is a possibility of metered postal rates being introduced.
frankly what do you want for what u pay?:rolleyes:

Chris
11-09-2003, 14:18
I don't think trains have run on time in this country since the second world war. Post is delivered early round here, provided they don't lose your mail (our local office apparently has one of the worst records for this) and provided you don't mind it arriving at 8am a week after it was posted. The milkman is early but we don't use him.

As for lack of discipline of our kids ... well, what do you expect, seeing as we have made it impossible for teachers to deliver anything approaching effective discipline in our schools? Bring back the cane ... that'll teach 'em!

downquark1
11-09-2003, 14:20
As for lack of discipline of our kids ... well, what do you expect, seeing as we have made it impossible for teachers to deliver anything approaching effective discipline in our schools? Bring back the cane ... that'll teach 'em!Trouble is adults are just as corrupt, selfish and ill-mannored as children.

Chris
11-09-2003, 14:28
Originally posted by downquark1
Trouble is adults are just as corrupt, selfish and ill-mannored as children.

They can be, although I'd be willing to bet it's worse now than it was. It's the corrupt, selfish and ill-mannered parents that undermine what's left of school authority when they back their little thug Johnny instead of the school's attempt to give him a detention, or sue the school because they disagree with their kids wearing school uniform.

Atomic22
11-09-2003, 18:26

i get my post before 7.30 am every day
asda do 3 pints of milk for the price of one from the milkie
the company i work for cares about all its customers (rolls-royce)
dunno about trains as i never use them
i knew the "f" word before i was 10 and learnt when and when not to use it :eek:
when we were kids we had "gat" guns and used to shoot each other with them....as you do :nono:
electric from the gasman and gas from electric man to save me money
all in all i think we have improved a great deal
:walk: