PDA

View Full Version : how to speak on the phone (give me some examples plz)

heyyo
14-03-2005, 13:17
ok im at the bbc now, journalism departement, basically i got to ring up possible individuals who can be interviewed from different religions i.e. Christians, Hindus and sikhs as they all have religious events coming up.

how would i speak over the phone...in a professional manner. at the moment i just need to make enquiries...

Russ
14-03-2005, 13:23
"Hi my name is xxxx and I'm calling from the BBC in xxxx. We're currently looking to approach individuals from different faiths to be interviewed about any upcoming religious faiths. I've been given your name by xxxx in the hope that you may wish to participate?"

TheBlueRaja
14-03-2005, 14:20
Followed by -

Can i interest you in some cheap christmas cards? :D

(Sorry!)

cookie_365
14-03-2005, 18:59
So you got to the Mailbox OK then ? ;)

Did they not talk to you before you got the job?

If so, I guess they reckon your natural style'll do the trick.

If not, keep posting; this could be quite entertaining :)

heyyo
14-03-2005, 19:39
hehe yeh....i got there thanks. basically tommorow is when i have to prove myself...i havent even been briefed properly.

Basically i got to ring up several people/organisations for interviews. its pretty difficult when there are obnoxious people right next to me and plus my main supervisor.

any tips to boost me?

Chris W
14-03-2005, 19:44
hehe yeh....i got there thanks. basically tommorow is when i have to prove myself...i havent even been briefed properly.

Basically i got to ring up several people/organisations for interviews. its pretty difficult when there are obnoxious people right next to me and plus my main supervisor.

any tips to boost me?

When you start the call, ensure you are speaking to the person you intend to be- perhaps "Good morning my name is XXX and i'll calling from XXX, is it possible to speak to XXX please?"

My other tip would be to be yourself, and speak as if you would normally- i never address people by name, and when i do i feel uncomfortable and feel like i sound uncomfortable as well.

paulyoung666
14-03-2005, 20:03
good advice from the posts above :tu:

edit :- bit short notice but why dont you try calling someone you know and seeing how you get on , you dont need to mention th religion thing , just try something that springs to mind , you never know it might give you an insight into how well you sound ;) , good luck btw :tu:

greencreeper
14-03-2005, 21:57
Be yourself - be natural. Don't swear. Be polite. Be aware of your use of language. There's a guy at work who, when he tells a customer we don't support something, says, "I've got some bad news for you" :disturbd: Nooooooooooooo!

edit - make use of the fleshy things on the sides of your head. Oh and be aware that because of the nature of what you're doing, many people may not speak English as a first language, so speak slowly and avoid slang.

heyyo
15-03-2005, 14:21
many people may not speak English as a first language, so speak slowly and avoid slang.

u got that bit right. lmao...