PDA

View Full Version : Supervolcano

STONEISLAND
14-03-2005, 08:40
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/index.shtml

A super-eruption would equal the force of 1,000 Hiroshima atomic bombs exploding every second.
You could fit Tokyo, the world's biggest city, in Yellowstone's super-volcanic crater.
Three super-eruptions at Yellowstone appear to have occurred on a 600,000-700,000 year cycle starting 2.1 million years ago. The most recent took place 640,000 years ago †“ suggesting Yellowstone is overdue for an eruption.
Did anyone see this lastnight?

Very very scary :disturbd:

Will it happen in are life time?

zoombini
14-03-2005, 08:44
I did, I have the "about yellowstone" from BBC2 just after recorded to watch later.
Tonights the last bit, I expect some nice graphic displays.

Talking of, that hollographic display of the underground looked cool..(well, actually quite hot!)

Damien
14-03-2005, 08:48
Yeah, Horizon did a thing oon it a while ago. Wanna go to yellowstone now

STONEISLAND
14-03-2005, 08:52
Yeah, Horizon did a thing oon it a while ago. Wanna go to yellowstone now

:Yikes: Are you crazy? Sods law it would go off if I was there.

How would it affect the UK if it did go off? Or is it just the US that would face a black out? (allmost)

BBKing
14-03-2005, 09:08
Been fascinated by this one since reading about it in Bill Bryson's book a couple of years ago - it would affect everybody if it went off, since the USA would be split in half, large amounts of grain growing areas in North America (including Canada) would be out of commission for some years, global temperatures would drop rather a lot (which would put an end to global warming I suppose). Aircraft worldwide would be grounded for a while - flying through volcanic ash is guaranteed to give you a painful time.

As far as we're concerned, the EU would have to scrap all the deals to keep land out of agriculture, we'd have to put a lot of effort into growing way more food and probably donate a lot to the US and Canada (who'd have to get used to a rather healthier diet with fewer calories in). We'd need ships to get it over there and a lot of effort to clear roads to the centre of the country (bearing in mind that bridges will be down due to weight of ash, which is effectively like a thick layer of concrete if it becomes wet).

I think we'd survive all right, but the geopolitical impact of the USA being wiped off the map for 20 years or so would be frightening - I can imagine Osama and co. jumping for joy and taking it as a sign of God's blessing or some such rot.

STONEISLAND
14-03-2005, 09:15
I guess when the talking 100'000's of years ;) I'm sure it will stall at least another 100 years or even 10'000 :erm: it still would not be in are life time.

I hope. :)

:confused:

NitroNutter
14-03-2005, 09:17
:Yikes: Are you crazy? Sods law it would go off if I was there.

How would it affect the UK if it did go off? Or is it just the US that would face a black out? (allmost)

its pretty much a world killer, well not the world but most of what lives on it.

those several medium volcanoes will suddenly become one big huge volcano and bam a dust cloud so big it consumes the skies and earth all over leaving some minor pockets untouched.

Even Osama might not be around to jump for joy if it should happen to occur during our lifetime.

Xaccers
14-03-2005, 09:26
Investing in non US grain would be a good idea.
Someone I know put £4K in US grain as a safe investment while he went away on holiday for a month.
Shortly after Chernobyl blew and he made an absolute fortune because the stock market thought half the world's grain would be wiped out.

Halcyon
14-03-2005, 10:14
I misse dit.
Il make sure I catch the final part tonight though.
There is then a documentary about the possibilities of that happening on after on BBC2.

Paul K
14-03-2005, 10:17
I misse dit.
Il make sure I catch the final part tonight though.
There is then a documentary about the possibilities of that happening on after on BBC2.
If you really want to see it and can't wait then if you look in the "what are you watching" thread there is a link for Amazon in there where the programme is being released on DVD ;)

Dave Stones
14-03-2005, 10:18
that programme on BBC last night was tosh, the documentary one. For all the certainty the scientists had, i could have apepared and cast my "expert opinion" on it :erm:

whats the odds that it happens on december 21st 2012 then? along with the pole shift, aliens landing, second coming of jesus, world war 4, and whatever other conspiracy is supposed to happen on this date ;)

i saw a programme abuot yellowstone several years ago, was tied into a programme on "methane burps" from the sea, now those are what you want to watch out for :disturbd:

TheBlueRaja
14-03-2005, 10:23
Actually, the difference is that this will blow, its blown 3 times in the past and on average we are 40,000 years overdue for another.

And that part in the documentary about one are of the park rising recently - its true.

That documentary is based on fact - it just takes it one step futher and shows you what will happen when it blows its top.

Most of this was in Horizon a while ago, and it was also recently in New Scientist as well.

AndrewJ
14-03-2005, 10:25
Not forgetting the asteroid and everything else,

Dave Stones
14-03-2005, 10:31
Actually, the difference is that this will blow, its blown 3 times in the past and on average we are 40,000 years overdue for another.

And that part in the documentary about one are of the park rising recently - its true.

That documentary is based on fact - it just takes it one step futher and shows you what will happen when it blows its top.

Most of this was in Horizon a while ago, and it was also recently in New Scientist as well.

yeah maybe, but all the scientists sitting scratching their beards and going "well, it *could* blow up sometime soon, it could be tomorrow, it could be another 100,000 years, we just don't know..." seems a little... vague... for a documentary if you ask me :angel:

scaremongering maybe? or subliminally preparing the masses for something that the government knows is gonna happen next week? :eek:

Nemesis
14-03-2005, 10:35
<snip> ... world war 4,

Did I miss the 3rd one then :disturbd:

iadom
14-03-2005, 10:36
for a more reasoned view, you could read this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/03/13/wbang13.xml)

Dave Stones
14-03-2005, 10:39

typo :scratch: ;)

AndrewJ
14-03-2005, 10:43
Scary stuff this end of the world thing, but this 2012 thing, could it not just be that Microsoft finally make a OS and Browser which works for 4month without needing a critical security patch?

TheBlueRaja
14-03-2005, 11:00
yeah maybe, but all the scientists sitting scratching their beards and going "well, it *could* blow up sometime soon, it could be tomorrow, it could be another 100,000 years, we just don't know..." seems a little... vague... for a documentary if you ask me :angel:

Your missing the point though - that goes for ANY volcano - not just supervolcano's - like they say they can tell from Harmonic ringing if there is going to be an eruption, but they still cant say how big or when, wether that be Mount Etna or a Supervolcano.

AndrewJ
14-03-2005, 11:04
How do they know its every 100,000years this planet is cooling down aint it?? if so then it could be 100,000 years then 150,000years then 250,000years, we just DONT KNOW.

I am interested more in WHY they are telling us this, or is the BBC desperate for stories?

AndrewJ
14-03-2005, 22:01
Just watched some of that drama thing about Supervolcanos which was on tonight..scared the living ****e out of me :eek: never thought it would be that bad...

Tuftus
14-03-2005, 22:09
hmm, was concerning...

AndrewJ
14-03-2005, 22:15
Anyone know a good gun shop, I aint sticking about if that happens.

zoombini
14-03-2005, 22:17
Now that's over, I wonder how many people will be stocking up with masks & tinned food/water etc?

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 22:19
I pooed me pants!!!!! I do still think that this could happen though, still pooing her pants!!!! well doen good old beeb!!!!!!

Millay
14-03-2005, 22:21
What has worried me about this is that, there really is a chance some major world crisis could happen in my lifetime, and keeping a supply of seval gallons of water might not be a bad thing....

We don't know when it will happen just that its due to, the same as the polar switch etc etc... one of these things is bound to happen..

where doomed i tell ya doomed

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 22:25
Well I could go and work at the local hospitial that has an underground network called the streets, or I could go and help the TA since I am a sarg in the medical corps or I could go and hide in the lakes!!!!!!

Tuftus
14-03-2005, 22:31
What has worried me about this is that, there really is a chance some major world crisis could happen in my lifetime, and keeping a supply of seval gallons of water might not be a bad thing....

We don't know when it will happen just that its due to, the same as the polar switch etc etc... one of these things is bound to happen..

where doomed i tell ya doomed

Don't forget the next flu pandemic...

/me runs for the hills...

kronas
14-03-2005, 22:34
i missed the first part but saw this, yellowstone park has been the subject of debate for many years, scientists have been plying the doom line because its due an eruption, but is 'doubtful' to happen in our lifetime.

simalerly any form of other disease can quite wipe alot of if not all of us out.

so live your life to the maximum for aslong as you can!

AndrewJ
14-03-2005, 22:35
DONT PANIC DONT PANIC ( RUNS ABOUT SCREAMING TOP OF HIS VOICE)

We're dooomed doom i tell ya dooooommmeee!!!!

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 22:36
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, let go and hide in our bunkers quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kronas
14-03-2005, 22:36
talk about kneejerk reactions :D

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 22:42
We are all gonna die 2morrow;) ;) ;) ;)

Tuftus
14-03-2005, 22:47
We are all gonna die 2morrow;) ;) ;) ;)

Aww shoot, just when I was starting to have fun...

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 22:50
As if it was gonna happen in this boring country anyway!!!!!!!

Tezcatlipoca
14-03-2005, 22:56
Not forgetting the asteroid and everything else,

I'm still waiting for SkyNet....

allieyoung666
14-03-2005, 23:01
yeah as if !!!!!!

Damien
15-03-2005, 18:22
Good ol' BBC

ScaredWebWarrior
15-03-2005, 18:33
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, let go and hide in our bunkers quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's probably a global extinction event to match every hiding place you can think of. lol.

http://www.answers.com/topic/extinction-event

Tuftus
15-03-2005, 19:32

Indeed!!!

There's probably a global extinction event to match every hiding place you can think of. lol.

Oh bugger...

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/gbu-28.htm

:shocked:

greencreeper
15-03-2005, 19:41
That'll be the "war on terror" :rolleyes:

Given that, as a species, we have little to recommend us, a volcano killing the majority of us wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, and would certainly make Saturday shopping much easier.

ScaredWebWarrior
15-03-2005, 19:43
Oh bugger...

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/gbu-28.htm

:shocked:

just drop a few in the caldera and watch the sparks fly?

BTW - lots of info on the volcano - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=super+volcano+yellowstone

and from the perpetrators

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/

Tuftus
15-03-2005, 19:53
just drop a few in the caldera and watch the sparks fly?

BTW - lots of info on the volcano - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=super+volcano+yellowstone

Sparks indeed!!!

Is there not supposed to be a molten / compressed lump / blob of iron in there?

One guy at work was also saying that this could also trigger the san andreas fault in to meltdown too!!!

:Yikes:

Halcyon
15-03-2005, 20:41
Watched the second half of this last night and saw all those mounds of ash.
It must be awfall to be stuck in a dust cloud shower like that.
And the devestation it causes to the weather and world patterns is phenomneol !

Monster Jedi
15-03-2005, 21:15
Time to watch the Mad Max films now me thinks:eeek:

BBKing
15-03-2005, 21:40
Anyone else notice that the 3D aircraft model they used for the flying into dust-cloud CGI was a Trident in British Airways livery? They went out of service in 1985, and if one ever made it to Cheyenne I'll eat my laptop - they had enough trouble getting off the runway at Heathrow. The pilot on the programme also said 'both engines have failed' when the model clearly had three.

OK, I'm a sad plane buff at heart, please ignore me and move on.

zoombini
16-03-2005, 08:45
I'm off to Asda & the local army surplas stores to stock up on tinned food & dust masks etc.

Xaccers
16-03-2005, 10:33
Anyone know a good gun shop, I aint sticking about if that happens.

www.wolfarmouries.co.uk (although good is a subjective term)