PDA

View Full Version : Sharing DVD drive over network?

Macca371
12-03-2005, 21:35
Is it possible to share a DVD drive which is on my computer to make it accessible from another computer on the network?

Both computers use XP

Raistlin
12-03-2005, 21:37
Have you already got some drives shared?

If you have maybe you can just right click on the drive and enable the sharing?

Not sure though, having problems just networking two PCs together without worrying about fancy stuff like DVD drives :D

Stuart
12-03-2005, 21:38
Assuming you are using XP Pro, you need to turn simple file sharing off (look up in help how to do this), then right click on the DVD drive and select "Sharing and security". You can then set the share name and security permissions (who has access) on that dialog too.

barrada
12-03-2005, 23:56
If you still need help contact us - paul@barrada.co.uk or visit Admin Edit (Rich M) - Link removed (again!!!) for more contact details.

Raistlin
12-03-2005, 23:58
If you still need help contact us - paul@barrada.co.uk or visit www.barrada.co.uk (http://www.barrada.co.uk/) for more contact details.

Umm.....

That sounded like an unabashed commercial plug to me.....

Might want to be a bit careful there.....

barrada
13-03-2005, 00:09
It was an offer of free assistance which has now been withdrawn because the Admin here call assistance 'Spam' apparently. Sorry we are not now able to assist you.

Raistlin
13-03-2005, 00:11
I think it was more the fact that it looked like Spam.

It's often difficult in forums like this to distinguish the genuine offers of help from the Spam.

I'm sure that any genuine offers of help would be more than appreciated, the general feeling here though seems to be that it's better to provide that help within the forum, that way all members get to benefit from the advice/help that you are giving.

barrada
13-03-2005, 00:14
Point taken but the answer to your problem is not easily written down and a short answer would not have taken account of the many variables.

Richard M
13-03-2005, 00:15
If you still need help contact us - paul@barrada.co.uk or visit Admin Edit (Rich M) - Link removed (again!!!) for more contact details.

Jesus H Christ - what do I have to do, ban you???

Raistlin
13-03-2005, 00:17
Point taken but the answer to your problem is not easily written down and a short answer would not have taken account of the many variables.

Which is why some of the threads on this site span many different pages and can run into 100s of posts.

I've been involved in more than one thread where it has taken a long time to get to the answer, but we've got there in the end. I've also benefitted from sveral threads where I have experienced the same problem as the OP and have been able to follow the thread from beginning to end and use the information therein to solve my own problem.

Doing things this way allows the forum to become a resource for everybody to use, rather than just a sign posting site where people come to find other sites that can answer their problems.

Gareth
13-03-2005, 00:24
Hey all, I've started up a new pr0n site, come and have a look ...it's at link removed :D

Chris.Konix
18-08-2010, 07:36
Have you already got some drives shared?

If you have maybe you can just right click on the drive and enable the sharing?

Not sure though, having problems just networking two PCs together without worrying about fancy stuff like DVD drives :D

actually, some cable directly share the DVD-ROM without soft, the programme fired in the IC, E-PC without DVD-ROM can easily share the device to install the system

Russ
18-08-2010, 07:44
He's probably sorted it, seeing as the last post in this thread was more than half a decade ago.

Stuart
18-08-2010, 08:34
And the op has left...