PDA

View Full Version : Pay As You Drive Insurance

LooeyUK
12-03-2005, 20:58
http://www.norwichunion.com/pay-as-you-drive/

Ive just signed up to this. Its fantastic value for money. I saved so much money.

Its for 18 - 21 year olds and its limited to 1500 applicants.

Basicly, I found Nowich Union to be the cheapest standard insurance. It would cost me £2600 (on my provisional) and £2200 (on a full).

But i tried their pay as you drive one. It works out, that if i did exactly 10,000 miles for that year during the day, it would cost me £1300!!

If i did more miles it would cost me more, if i did less, it would cost me less.

I get billed monthly by direct debit.

I have to pay £199 for the device. Sits in the boot and it works out how many miles you do per month etc... what times... how long... etc...

It also works as a tracker so if your car is stolen it can be traced.

Anyone else on this?

Chris W
12-03-2005, 21:11
hmm... looks interesting

I have just registered my interest :)

Russ
12-03-2005, 21:18
Its for 18 - 21 year olds and its limited to 1500 applicants.

Ageist, eh? :D

scrotnig
12-03-2005, 21:28
Norwich Union are the spawn of Satan and should be boycotted.

They have just bought the RAC and have immediately sacked 800 staff and sent their jobs to India, just as they have done in their core business.

Boycott them, and all other firms that sack UK staff and move the jobs to India. It's the only way they'll learn.

LooeyUK
12-03-2005, 21:30

They have just bought the RAC and have immediately sacked 800 staff and sent their jobs to India, just as they have done in their core business.

Boycott them, and all other firms that sack UK staff and move the jobs to India. It's the only way they'll learn.

So i should boycott them and not save me £700+ of my insurance?

ZrByte
12-03-2005, 21:49

Well if you hadnt bought such a high insurance group car for your age it may not have been a problem ;)

Stuart
12-03-2005, 21:53

I think that is what scrotnig is saying. I can actually see both points of view. You (obviously) want to save £700, but on the other hand if we (as a nation) don't actively fight or boycott them, companies will carry on outsourcing things to cheaper countries. More companies outsourcing = fewer jobs in Britain. We'll eventually get to a position where the country will be unable to support itself as too few people have jobs.

Chimaera
12-03-2005, 22:09
I'd be very wary of this one! IIRC when I was at a presentation given by this company a few weeks ago, they will charge you differently according to what time of day you drive too - and the worst time for collisions in your age group is apparently Friday and Saturday nights from 11pm - 3am. Be prepared to get screwed over if you drive at any times they don't like! :Yikes:

andygrif
12-03-2005, 22:28
If i did more miles it would cost me more, if i did less, it would cost me less.

Which is really stupid if you think about it....the more miles you do, the more experienced a driver you are, the safer you are. So why would a more experienced driver be penalised for being less of a risk?

It's the people who only do a couple of thousand miles a year that need their premiums loaded, and those that don't know how to drive on a motorway.

Russ
12-03-2005, 22:29
Which is really stupid if you think about it....the more miles you do, the more experienced a driver you are, the safer you are. So why would a more experienced driver be penalised for being less of a risk?

Insurance claims aren't always made for accidents remember. The more miles you do, the more time you spend on the road and the more risks you are exposed to.

Chimaera
12-03-2005, 22:31
But the way the money grabbing insurance companies look at it, is that 17 - 25 year olds hold 16% of the full driving licences, but are involved in 25% of collisions (that's the figure that Norwich Union quoted at the conference, but then they would, wouldn't they?) ;) So as far as they are concerned the more these young drivers are on the road, the greater the chance they will have an accident.

scrotnig
12-03-2005, 22:51
In Looey's position, it would be hard for him to go with a boycott as the cost to him of not doing so would unsustainable.

However, anyone who CAN boycott such companies SHOULD do so. If doing so puts you in a financially impossible position then obviously boycotting causes more problems than it solves and I wouldn't recommend that.

Where they can be hit is if for example they provide a quote that's a bit cheaper than your others, in such cases, refuse it and use the next cheapest. It'll cost you maybe thirty quid but it's worth it to protect UK jobs. Remember one day it could be YOUR job!

Better still, don't ask them for a quote in the first place.

Don't bank with Lloyds or HSBC either...use NatWest who guarantee all their call centre staff are in the UK...they even advertise this!

Don't use BT directory enquiries or 118 118, use 11 88 88, as all their staff are in the UK (ok Wales, but for this subject we'll class that as the UK!:D)

Nidge
13-03-2005, 22:05

Norwich Union has bought the RAC and sent jobs to India???