PDA

View Full Version : A Linksys BEFSR41 router problem.

Zest
11-03-2005, 19:28
I'm trying to set up my router (Linksys BEFSR41 Wire) with my ntl:modem (I still don't know the name of it, but its the grey one that lays on its belly).

The thing is, when I'm setting up the router using the CD it requires me to connect the modem to the router so it can find the internet. However, when i plug the modem cable into the internet slot, the light doesn't light up and the instillation CD cannot find the internet connection. The connection between the PC and the router seems to be fine (The light's on).

'wondering if anyone could help :)

setch
11-03-2005, 19:39
You don't need to install any software for the Linksys router. Plug the ethernet cable from the NTL modem into the WAN port on the Linksys. Plug the cable from the PC NIC into the first port on the Linksys.

I think the config address for the router is 192.168.1.1, this will allow you to see if the router has picked up an IP from the modem. If it has not, then you may need to clone the MAC of the PC onto the router.

If it has picked up an IP, then you should also have an IP of 192.168.1.2 or something close assigned to your PC and you should be able to ping www.ntlworld.com

Hope that helps

Setch

MovedGoalPosts
11-03-2005, 19:43
No specific ideas, since I have a STB. Presumably you have done the obvious, once plugged in, of switching everything, modem, router, PC off and rebooting in sequence?

Zest
11-03-2005, 19:46
Yup I've done that. I'll go give it another go though.

punky
11-03-2005, 19:50
Moved to computers & IT

Zest
11-03-2005, 20:01
I think the config address for the router is 192.168.1.1,

How would I use the config address? In internet explorer or elsewhere? :S

setch
11-03-2005, 20:06
In your browser

HTTP://192.168.1.1

Look up the ID and password in the router manual

homealone
11-03-2005, 20:11
In your browser

HTTP://192.168.1.1

Look up the ID and password in the router manual

user = admin

password = admin

works for me ;)

Zest
11-03-2005, 20:33
Hmm... I've tried doing the user and password above and its not letting me.. Wish i kept the goddam box. Any other suggestions?

Alan Waddington
11-03-2005, 20:34
Actually:
user = blank (leave blank)
password = admin

setch
11-03-2005, 20:35
Is it prompting you for the ID and Password? You do not need to enter the ID, leave that blank and just enter admin as the password.

Stephen
11-03-2005, 20:52
I have the same router and I did not install the software for the modem or the router. just plugged in and it works.

homealone
11-03-2005, 20:54
Hmm... I've tried doing the user and password above and its not letting me.. Wish i kept the goddam box. Any other suggestions?

both ways should work ;)

ok you said about lights on the router - if you have just the modem plugged into the WAN port of the router, what lights show & what are they doing, steady or flashing?

Alan Waddington
11-03-2005, 21:01
You could try a hard reset on the router. Get a paperclip & poke into reset hole. You need to hold this down for 30 seconds !

PS. You aren't using a cross-over ethernet cable by mistake by any chance?

Also, make sure u haven't plugged into the Uplink Port on the router (if the model has one)

Zest
11-03-2005, 21:07
both ways should work ;)

ok you said about lights on the router - if you have just the modem plugged into the WAN port of the router, what lights show & what are they doing, steady or flashing?

I'm guessing the WAN hole is the internet hole. When i plug the cable from the modem into the router, none of the lights do anything (apart from 1, which is connected to my computer. It flickers)

Actually:
user = blank (leave blank)
password = admin
I've tried that and it also hasn't worked :(

EDIT: I'm using a crossover cable for the modem to the router. That's the only way i usually can get the internet from the modem unless i use a USB cable.

Alan Waddington
11-03-2005, 21:16
Note that you should be able to access the router, whether the modem is plugged in or not. You need to troubleshoot the computer-router connection first.

Are you getting a light on the router corresponding to one of the LAN ports. If not, then you have a connection problem, either by using a crossover cable (unlikely), or by plugging into the uplink port (quite likely) I think only the older models had a separate uplink port. I think the later ones might have a changeover switch (too lay to check).

If you are getting a lamp lit on the router and when you try to access the router home page, you get a dialog for username and password, then the router is working. If the password doesn't work, it is possible that the password has been changed (if router is secondhand for instance).

A hard reset supposedly resets the password, but didn't on my old v.2 router, when it got into problems. I now have a v.3 router which worked straight out of the box.

Remember that the router will have a different MAC address than the computer, so to get the modem router and modem all to play, u need to switch them all off, then switch them on in the order: modem, router, computer, allowing time for each to initialise before switching the next one on.

I'm out of ideas

Alan

homealone
11-03-2005, 21:18
I'm guessing the WAN hole is the internet hole. When i plug the cable from the modem into the router, none of the lights do anything (apart from 1, which is connected to my computer. It flickers)

EDIT: I'm using a crossover cable for the modem to the router. That's the only way i usually can get the internet from the modem unless i use a USB cable.

it should be a straight through cable, but, as far as I know the ntl:home modems can autonegotiate, so that may not be an issue.

I'm puzzled by you saying 'the internet hole' - there are 6 'holes' at the back, the modem should connect to the one marked WAN - not the ones marked 1-4 or 'uplink'.

the pc then connects to any of the 1-4 sockets :)

<edit> ^^^^ and what he said ;)

Alan Waddington
11-03-2005, 21:20
I'm using a crossover cable for the modem to the router. That's the only way i usually can get the internet from the modem unless i use a USB cable.

I'm a bit suspicious about that. Usually u only use a x-over cable to link two computers together. The computer-modem cable should be a straight cable.

it should be a straight through cable, but, as far as I know the ntl:home modems can autonegotiate, so that may not be an issue.

I'm puzzled by you saying 'the internet hole' - there are 6 'holes' at the back, the modem should connect to the one marked WAN - not the ones marked 1-4 or 'uplink'.

the pc then connects to any of the 1-4 sockets :)

I think he has a v.3 That renames the WAN connection to Internet & doesn't have the uplink port.

homealone
11-03-2005, 21:24
I'm a bit suspicious about that. Usually u only use a x-over cable to link two computers together. The computer-modem cable should be a straight cable.

I think he has a v.3 That renames the WAN connection to Internet & doesn't have the uplink port.

aah thanks :tu:

Alan Waddington
11-03-2005, 21:25
Manual Here
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr41V3_ug.pdf

Zest
11-03-2005, 21:29
I'm still trying your suggestions but I'm getting slightly confused: Are you talking about the same router? I mean, on the back of my Router there are only 5 ports (6 if you include the power one) They are: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 'Internet'. My modem is connected to the internet port.

Alan Waddington
11-03-2005, 21:44
I'm still trying your suggestions but I'm getting slightly confused: Are you talking about the same router? I mean, on the back of my Router there are only 5 ports (6 if you include the power one) They are: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 'Internet'. My modem is connected to the internet port.

You have the version 3 router. It has only 5 ports as u describe.

The earlier version 1 & 2 routers of the same part number (BEFSR41) had 6 ports. The extra port being the uplink port. The older routers called the connection to the modem the 'WAN' port, while the new consumer friendly v.3 calls the same port the 'Internet' port.

I am the proud owner of a poorly v.2 & my current v.3 router, so i've seen both. I still have a soft spot for the v.2 coz it had more flashing lights too.

Going back to this post - suggests that the comp is talking to the router, but the modem is not - probably because u are using a x-over cable instead of the straight cable that is required.

Still don't know why u can't log in to the router. Can you confirm that u get the dialog box asking for the username & password. If you are & admin doesn't work as password, I'd go for a hard (30s) reset & retry.

If u aren't getting the dialog box, try setting your comp to a fixed ip & trying again, it could be that DHCP on the router is switched off.

As a last resort, go to the linksys website & the BEFSR41 product page. Get the firmware and the tftp.exe utility & attempt to flash the router's bios. U will need to set your comp to a static ip probably to get this to work. This is however a last desperate measure & can result in a dead box.

Firmware: http://www.linksys.com/international/firmware.asp?fwid=183&coid=6

mmm
11-03-2005, 22:04
You can't access the router if you have a internet explorer proxy defined, or probably a fixed IP adress in the wrong range.

Win XP really does just plug and play with this router!

Zest
11-03-2005, 22:04
Okay, I managed to log on. Now, none of this stuff makes sence so i decided to take some screenshots for you, see if you could help further. DDNS is disabled. The internet is still off too, the PC ~ router light is still on.

Alan Waddington
11-03-2005, 22:08
You're getting close :)

Now you should use a straight thru cable between the modem & router "Internet" port.

Switch everything off. Then switch modem on. Then switch router on. Finally switch computer back on.

Zest
11-03-2005, 22:25
Right, this is wierd.

I tried with a straight through cable and it didnt work, however I did something. I switched the cable over to a X over again, and the internet light flashed in second intervals. I tried loading a webpage but nothing happened. The light soon after switched off.

Alan Waddington
11-03-2005, 22:42
Right, this is wierd.

I tried with a straight through cable and it didnt work, however I did something. I switched the cable over to a X over again, and the internet light flashed in second intervals. I tried loading a webpage but nothing happened. The light soon after switched off.

Very odd. On my router, the Internet LED is constantly flashing, multiple times per second, while the ones connected to my comps are on steady.

I think the slow flashing may be an error indication.

It might be worth trying a different cable between the modem & the router if you have one.

I had a look through the Linksys knowledge base. Apparently it's the power light that flashes when there's an error, not the WAN/Internet lamp, so that was a false steer.

I did find the following, but it doesn't really say anything we haven't already covered:

There is no link light on the Router's WAN port, what can I do?

Answer

First you're going to need to connect your computer to the modem and see if you can get online with out the router, to make sure that the modem it self does not have a problem.

Once you've verified that communications is working properly between the modem and your computer, lets reconnect the router, however please follow these directions to make sure that you use the proper cable.

1. Take the Ethernet cable that is plugged into the back of your computer. (The cable should still be connected to the modem).

2. Take the cable and insert it into the back of the router, into the WAN Port. Once you've done this check if you're getting a WAN Link light now.

If you're still not getting a WAN Link light try plugging a cable from one of the regular ports on the router. Then insert the other end into the WAN Port of the router. You should get a WAN link light, if not then try taking the cable out of the regular port of the router and try the routers up link port. If you do not then you have a faulty WAN port, and the unit will need to be replaced.

If you can still exchange the unit at the place of purchase please do. If not please contact Linksys Technical support for further information.

Author:
KBJLH

Jonboy
11-03-2005, 22:48
have u been to the first page and saved settings and reboot also if you have norton firewall on run network wizard

Alan Waddington
11-03-2005, 22:50
Also found this:
The following article will describe how to setup NTL with a Linksys Router:

Connecting your cable modem to the Router
1. First connect directly to your Cable modem without the router and verify that you can get on line.

2. Once you've verified that you can get onto the internet without the router please proceed. If you can not please contact your ISP for further assistance.

3. Now unplug the Ethernet cable that connects to your DSL modem from the back of your computer.

4. Take the connection that you just unplugged from the back of your computer and connect it to the WAN port of the router.

5. Take a different Ethernet cable and plug it into port closest to the WAN port, or into the LAN port.

6. Look on the front of the router. The following lights should be illuminated:

- Power

- WAN Link

- Link/Act (On the port that you connected your computer to)

- Note If other lights other than Link/Act are illuminated on this port, that is normal

- You may have a few other lights illuminated depending on the model number router you have, but the 3 above must be illuminated for proper connection.

7. Hold the Reset button on the router for 30 seconds or more

8. Restart your computer

Checking the MAC address of your Computer
Please follow these steps from the computer that was connected directly to the internet with out the router. If you do not, then you may not be able to connect to the internet properly.

A. Windows 9x/ME

1. Click on the Start button and click on the Run option

2. When the "Run" window opens please type in winipcfg and click the OK button

3. When the "IP Configuration comes up" click on the gray box the black arrow and select your Ethernet card.

4. Please make note of the "Adapter Address"

B. Windows 2000/NT/XP

1. Click on the Start button and click on the Run option

2. When the "Run" window opens please type in cmd and click the OK button

3. When "Command Prompt" appears type in ipconfig /all

4. Please make note of the "Physical Address"

Configuring the Router
Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Explorer (Located on the Start Menu in Windows XP).
When "Internet Explorer" opens type http://192.168.1.1 into the "Address" bar and click on Go.
The "Enter Network Password" window will appear.
Skip user name and type admin (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK.
By default the router will be set to Obtain an IP Address Automatically.
Click on the Advanced tab.
Click on the Mac Addr. Clone.
When the page loads, input the Adapter/Physical Address you made earlier and input it into the proper fields.
Click Apply
Finishing the Setup
Shut down your PC.
Unplug the power from the back of the router.
Unplug the power from the modem.
Wait for 30 second.
Power up the modem.
Wait for the lights to stop blinking.
Power up the router.
Start up your computer.
Surf the internet.
- *Note: If you are still unable to get on to the internet please repeat from step 1.

You shouldn't really need to use the MAC Cloning feature, since NTL allows two MACs to be used within 24 hours. However if you have connected more than one comp to the modem in the last 24 hours, it is possible that u will need to clone the MAC.

I'm tired, so am off too bed soon.

Zest
11-03-2005, 23:18
Sorry to tell you but I've sorted the bugger :P I swapped the crossover cable (No pun intended) and the straight through cable, and I am now speaking to you on this laptop. Later lads, and thank you :)

on the nose
12-03-2005, 08:34
hey ntl are comming to change my box so i can upgrade to 2mb,and i have linksys wireless broadband router all is fine now,what do they do just swap pace box for samsung box, it worn't cock my router up will it.
thanxs