View Full Version : RIAA sues 12 year old girl

Richard M
09-09-2003, 23:21
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96797,00.html

:eek: :grind: :upyours:

Graham F
09-09-2003, 23:31
:eeek:

I would love them to pick on someone with loads of money and for them to lose then to have to pay lots of money in compensation that would make my day :D

Heavy handed ***** :)

Richard M
09-09-2003, 23:33
It's unbelieveable.
They've lost the plot totally and are not acting in the consumers best interests at all.

The Diplomat
09-09-2003, 23:34
Just another excuse for yank lawyers to get fatter and richer.... :rolleyes: :mad:

El Diablo
10-09-2003, 00:14
Errr... but surely...

From http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96797,00.html
"The family signed up for the Kazaa (search) music-swapping service three months ago, and paid a $29.99 service charge."

WTF were they doing paying $29.99 for Kazaa anyway?? JESUS! :eek:

Also, if payment / registration were required, would you provide details of your twelve year old daughter for the registration process? Really? See, it just goes to show that there's no real parental control over the interweb, well, not that you'd notice... it's only the parents, as physical rather than virtual beings, that can protect such happenings... fscktards...:devsmoke:

Jerrek
10-09-2003, 04:20
Someone at the RIAA will have to start doing some damage control. This is getting way out of hand. If it keeps up for a bit longer people will be so disgusted with them and will boycott their products. I already refuse to buy CDs because of their actions.

duncant403
10-09-2003, 09:40
The girl and the RIAA have now settled the case out-of-court. For the sum of $2000.

Duncan

Russ
10-09-2003, 09:45
I can't wait for the RIAA to try and throw their weight around over here :D

Stalker
10-09-2003, 09:51
The girl and the RIAA have now settled the case out-of-court. For the sum of $2000

What did they do?.... ask for her flippin pocket money for the next 10 years??????

The RIAA are taking the pi$$ totally on this 1. Also a 74 year old man is being sued because his granchildren showed him how to download music as they found it fun.

Chances are that old man is into older music..... yet they are still sueing him?!?!?!?!?!?!

TOTAL WAN**RS :mad: :mad: :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up:

§talk

Richard M
10-09-2003, 09:51
What's our version called, the "British Phonograph Association" or something?

Stalker
10-09-2003, 09:53
yes... but they can only act on British Registered Artists AFAIK.

Although if the RIAA put pressure on them like the MPAA is doing with its peers, we could be in as deep as the yanks :rolleyes:

§talk

timewarrior2001
10-09-2003, 09:54
What amuses me the most is the RIAA think they can win. The more cases like this they bring th emore determined people will be to bring them down.

How about counter sueing for harrassment of a minor?
In the UK you cant use info on anyone under 13 I beleive.

Stalker
10-09-2003, 10:18
Under 13 in this country is pretty much immunity from prosecution in anyway. Although i guess the parents could take the fall for it ?

§talk

Dave Stones
10-09-2003, 10:39
in the metro today (free newspaper for people that use public transport in case you dont know, and a damn good read too) it said the RIAA only sue people who download > 1000 tracks, and also it said the girl had been downloading nursery rhymes. maybe i am naive but are there actually that many nursery rhymes in existence?

:shrug:

ic14
10-09-2003, 10:43
This is just typical of the IRAA, sorry thats RIAA,
I sent them a polite email about this to them a few months ago, no reply....

Dave Stones
10-09-2003, 10:46
Originally posted by ic14
This is just typical of the IRAA, sorry thats RIAA,
I sent them a polite email about this to them a few months ago, no reply....

of course they wont reply... there's no grounds to sue you for sending an email ;)

incidentally since all this has started me and most of my friends have started file-sharing even more just to rub their noses in it... im sure i am not the only one to do it as well...

Richard M
10-09-2003, 12:00
Good article on the Reg today:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32740.html

Stuart
10-09-2003, 12:25
Originally posted by Dave Stones
in the metro today (free newspaper for people that use public transport in case you dont know, and a damn good read too) it said the RIAA only sue people who download > 1000 tracks, and also it said the girl had been downloading nursery rhymes. maybe i am naive but are there actually that many nursery rhymes in existence?

:shrug:

& are nursery rhymes copyrighted? Bear in mind that copyright dies 50 years after the author...

trebor
10-09-2003, 12:53
the success of apples itunes mentioned here in another RIAA story
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32717.html
in my mind signals the end of the RIAA's problems of copyright,
it also signals the end of cd sales, (that'll give the sods a headache)
if you could download a track for 99 cents would you even bother trying to find it on Kazaa,would you ever go to the music store again?
roll out itunes on pc's worldwide and the RIAA can stuff it's lawsuits and cd's up it's big fat useless ass

philip.j.fry
10-09-2003, 13:27
Originally posted by trebor
if you could download a track for 99 cents would you even bother trying to find it on Kazaa,would you ever go to the music store again?
roll out itunes on pc's worldwide and the RIAA can stuff it's lawsuits and cd's up it's big fat useless ass

Have you seen the guy on ebay, he's selling a song that he paid for through the iTunes service. He promises to delete his copy once transfer has taken place so there should be no issues with it. The price was up to several hundred dollars last time I looked :D

Edit: Just read the Register article, I LOVE the term pigopolists, fantastic :p

Stuart
10-09-2003, 13:52
Originally posted by trebor

Not to mention the various services run by OD2 for MSN, HMV & the like.

Dave Stones
10-09-2003, 18:09
Originally posted by scastle
& are nursery rhymes copyrighted? Bear in mind that copyright dies 50 years after the author...

the RIAA would find a loophole... change a word somewhere in it and claim it as a new rhyme they invented and so have copyright etc etc...

i cant imagine how they could be copyrighted, being so old and all...

Richard M
11-09-2003, 11:23
"These people give Joe Stalin a good name," said Wayne Rosso, president of Grokster Ltd., an Internet peer-to-peer file-sharing system that allows users to download and trade music for free. "It's cynical and hypocritical. I read the statement from [RIAA President] Cary Sherman: 'Nobody wants to play the heavy.' Then why the [expletive] are they playing the heavy?"

Rosso's Grokster is a smaller player in the peer-to-peer world, averaging 50,000 to 60,000 music downloads per week, while Kazaa, the largest, averages 2.5 million per week. Grokster is a member of P2P United, the lobbying group formed in July representing six file-sharing services that offered to pay Brianna's $2,000 settlement.

"We don't condone copyright infringement, but it's time for the RIAA's winged monkeys to fly back to the castle and leave the Munchkins alone," said the group's executive director, Adam Eisgrau, a copyright lawyer and lobbyist.

P2P United includes Morpheus, Grokster, LimeWire, BearShare, Blubster and eDonkey but does not include Kazaa; in an interview, Eisgrau said the service may be invited to join.

P2P's offer to pay Brianna's settlement is just one of the several gifts she was extended yesterday.

Musicrebellion.com, an Internet site that sells music for 99 cents per song, said it has set up an account in Brianna's name that will allow her to download $2,000 worth of songs for free.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57424-2003Sep10.html

Theodoric
11-09-2003, 21:47
Originally posted by Jerrek
Someone at the RIAA will have to start doing some damage control. This is getting way out of hand. If it keeps up for a bit longer people will be so disgusted with them and will boycott their products. I already refuse to buy CDs because of their actions.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Americans allowed to shoot anyone who burgles their property? So, please excuse my naivety, why aren't American companies allowed to sue anyone who steals their property?

MadGamer
11-09-2003, 22:01
How Did the RIAA know about it anywhay? Its not as if they search the publics PC's from where they're sitting. Can they access our HDD's to look for the music anywhay? Sherman networks shouldn't have published Kazaa Media Desktop anywhay.

Shaun
11-09-2003, 22:03
Originally posted by Theodoric
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Americans allowed to shoot anyone who burgles their property? So, please excuse my naivety, why aren't American companies allowed to sue anyone who steals their property?

I can see their point, but sending a supina (is that the right spelling?) to a 12 year old girl is gonna just create bad publicity.

Even if they try and se the pants off everyone, it will still continue. They said it was the end of file sharing when Napster went. :rolleyes:

While people can get things for free they will, its human nature.:rolleyes:

Stuart
11-09-2003, 22:04
Originally posted by WNA
How Did the RIAA know about it anywhay? Its not as if they search the publics PC's from where they're sitting. Can they access our HDD's to look for the music anywhay?

They can easily find any music you share. Bear in mind that Kazaa/Kazaa Lite (and some other P2P apps) automatically share what you download.

Stephen Robb
13-09-2003, 18:35
Originally posted by Stalker
Under 13 in this country is pretty much immunity from prosecution in anyway. Although i guess the parents could take the fall for it ?

§talk

At the moment the age of criminal responsibility in England and Wales is 10 and 8 in Scotland, although they are trying to jack it up to 12.

In my view though, any child who can't tell the difference between right and wrong by the age of 10 there is something seriously lacking!

Graham F
13-09-2003, 18:41
Originally posted by Stephen Robb
In my view though, any child who can't tell the difference between right and wrong by the age of 10 there is something seriously lacking!

To a degree i agree with you, but are you trying to tell me that a 10 year old should know that downloading music via the net on certain sites is wrong and shouldn't be done? If you are then i disagree most 10 year olds know nothing abt copyright so would be none the wiser :)