PDA

View Full Version : easter eggs

molly
11-03-2005, 03:13
Is easter becomming a money making racket like christmas what do you think

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2005, 03:16
I saw easter eggs for sale days after xmas so I'd have to say yes.

At a loss
11-03-2005, 03:23
Was n't there one on Quake 3 with some kind of funny face????

Millay
11-03-2005, 03:26
Easter? thankfully my familly dont make a big thing of it......

me283
11-03-2005, 03:26

Hasn't it always been?

molly
11-03-2005, 03:39
Hasn't it always been?
no just going back to the 60's as a kid we painted hard boild eggs with food dye
and if you got a chocolate egg it was very special thing to get.........

Mr_love_monkey
11-03-2005, 09:05
We didn't even get boiled eggs, we just got lumps of coal - cheap coal at that... and then we were expected to use it on the fire, none of this sitting around admiring it lark...

Ramrod
11-03-2005, 09:18
no just going back to the 60's as a kid we painted hard boild eggs with food dye........We still do that except we don't use food dye, we use various plants that contain natural dyes. Red onion skin, flower petals, grasses etc........You place them onto the egg and then wrap the egg tightly in white cotton cloth and boil the egg. When it's hard boiled it's also coloured.
Presumably the tradition goes back to when we were forcibly converted to christianity in the 14th or 15th century.

I almost forgot the best part..............we use the hard boiled eggs in a competition to see who can smash everyone elses egg (bit like conkers but you hold the egg) :D

goldoni
11-03-2005, 10:40
We didn't even get boiled eggs, we just got lumps of coal - cheap coal at that... and then we were expected to use it on the fire, none of this sitting around admiring it lark...

You were lucky; in the great coal strike of 59 we had bits of wood and candle wax. Coal, boiled eggs and Easter eggs were what the rich kids had. Christmas was not much better, Matron used to take us to the local cemetery Christmas Eve to show us where Farther Christmas was buried, you tell the kids today, they donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t believe you. ;)

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2005, 10:41
Does anyone remember the infamous Dr Who Easter Egg?

Mr_love_monkey
11-03-2005, 10:44
Did you not post a picture of it a while ago? - Peter Davidson, has a laser beam (or something) badly positioned from what I remember... :)

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2005, 10:46
Did you not post a picture of it a while ago? - Peter Davidson, has a laser beam (or something) badly positioned from what I remember... :)

That's the one. - Very funny and appaling design. I wonder if we'll get a billi piper 'rose' egg with a massive protrusion like Peter Davidson had.

Ramrod
11-03-2005, 10:52
:Yikes:

What f'kin idiot designed that? :rofl:

Mr_love_monkey
11-03-2005, 10:54

Idiot or genius... it's a fine line :)

Ramrod
11-03-2005, 10:55
Idiot or genius... it's a fine line :)The more I look at it the more I pmsl :D

allieyoung666
11-03-2005, 12:41
I just buy my kids a toy each or if they want sweets, I buy them a big bag of mini mars's as they are much cheaper and they last just as long

Nugget
11-03-2005, 12:43

Hur hur - I'm not surprised he's smiling :rofl:

Do you reckon he used that when he was in All Creatures Great and Small ;) ?

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2005, 12:44
I have one of those dr who eggs (with egg intact) I bet it'd go for a packet on ebay.

allieyoung666
11-03-2005, 12:46
would not like to eat the chocolate now, I bet it is all white an orrible, go on open it!!!!! No only kidding, I bet it is yummy

Graham
11-03-2005, 14:13

What's this "becoming" business?!

Easter has become an excuse to sell chocolate at ludicrously inflated prices in grossly over-packaged and wasteful containers for years now!

:rofl:

Whooops!!! :D

allieyoung666
11-03-2005, 14:40
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: come Dr Who show me you lazer beam!!!!!

Ramrod
11-03-2005, 14:51
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: come Dr Who show me you lazer beam!!!!!If you ask nicely, I'm sure he'll show you his sonic screwdriver :D

allieyoung666
11-03-2005, 14:52
OHHHHHHHH I cannot wait, I bet it is a bit mouldy by now though!!!!

Halcyon
11-03-2005, 15:46
I like Easter, but paying about £15 for an easter egg when in fact you pay mostly for the huge packaging and a smnall egg, is absolutely stupid.

cookie_365
11-03-2005, 20:09
When I was little my dad said he didn't want an easter egg. So I found an egg that came with a free mug - ate the egg & gave him the mug .....:angel:

Theodoric
11-03-2005, 23:08
Every holiday is a money making racket nowadays. You can get Valentine cards for the cat. Mothers Day cards (let's not go into how it mutated from Mothering Sunday) used to be from children to mothers; nowadays they're from any sucker that the card manufacturers can con into buying one. Hot Cross buns are a year round phenomenon. Christmas apparently starts some time in September.

Graham
12-03-2005, 00:47
Christmas apparently starts some time in September.

And Creme Eggs are now sold in January!

me283
12-03-2005, 00:53
A few years ago I was skint. How times change - now I'm skint and older! Anyway, I love chocolate, and just after Easter Sunday the local newsagents were selling off Easter eggs etc really cheaply. I used to go and buy Mars eggs, with Mars bars, and a mug, for about 50p. Sounds sad, but it was a very happy memory for me!

ian@huth
12-03-2005, 01:50
Originally Posted by Theodoric
Christmas apparently starts some time in September.
And Creme Eggs are now sold in January!Christmas starts in July if you watch QVC.

Creme eggs seem to be sold all year round.

It's the cards thet get me and not just Easter cards. You can pay three or four pounds for a card that costs coppers to produce. My wife was looking for some birthday cards the other day at the supermarket but couldn't find suitable ones there. She went into a little card shop, not part of a big chain, and got better cards for 79p than the supermarket was selling for £3 more.

goldoni
12-03-2005, 02:32
Every holiday is a money making racket nowadays. You can get Valentine cards for the cat. Mothers Day cards (let's not go into how it mutated from Mothering Sunday) used to be from children to mothers; nowadays they're from any sucker that the card manufacturers can con into buying one. Hot Cross buns are a year round phenomenon. Christmas apparently starts some time in September.

Well thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s when the three wise men set out on their journey to Jerusalem ;)

Theodoric
12-03-2005, 15:00
Well thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s when the three wise men set out on their journey to Jerusalem ;)
Ah, what we need now is the Feast of Mary & Joseph Returning the Unwanted Gifts to M&S. :)

allieyoung666
12-03-2005, 17:02
I hate easter, the biggest money making scam if ever I saw one!!!