PDA

View Full Version : Arms Fair

Graham F
09-09-2003, 22:46
Is it right for us to be hosting an arms fair that has representatives from some countries with dubious human rights records?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3092146.stm

The Diplomat
09-09-2003, 22:56
Originally posted by Scooby
Is it right for us to be hosting an arms fair that has representatives from some countries with dubious human rights records?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3092146.stm

I share your concerns Scooby.

I understand tho' that no arms can be sold to any country by a UK company without a licence from the government.

Graham F
09-09-2003, 23:00
This is true but my understanding is that its not just uk companies showing products at this event!

aliferste
09-09-2003, 23:35
It happens all the time, dont think this is anything new !

Jerrek
10-09-2003, 04:17
Ugh, why are we selling missiles? We should just donate them...

Lord Nikon
10-09-2003, 04:38
with free delivery :D

adj126
10-09-2003, 05:29
Originally posted by Jerrek

I disagree We should be doing a BOGOF offer

th'engineer
10-09-2003, 14:18
Load of jumped up people protesting about nothing they know about. They should arrest the lot for distrubing business

nighthawk
10-09-2003, 14:25
Originally posted by th'engineer
Load of jumped up people protesting about nothing they know about. They should arrest the lot for distrubing business

They could be handy on the testing range though :devsmoke: :devsmoke:

darkangel
10-09-2003, 15:03
Originally posted by Scooby

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3092146.stm do you mean countries with human rights records like our own and our history of selling weapons to said countries?

Theodoric
11-09-2003, 21:27
Originally posted by Jerrek
Donate? Er, isn't that what the Americans did with all those Stingers in Afghanistan in the 80s. :)

Graham F
11-09-2003, 21:30

Don't you have a biased view on this though?

Could be wrong but sure that i read somewhere that you work in that industry?!?!

th'engineer
13-09-2003, 09:26
Me biased view in respect of arms now what makes you think that. They are to make the world a safer place:D

Steve H
13-09-2003, 09:47
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
with free delivery :D

:D :D :D

Faster than Royal Mail :D

Gogogo
13-09-2003, 11:22

No, I think there are genuine concerns.

The protesters themselves have a right to protest and it is right they do so, policing costs should fall on the exhibitors.

Business is business I know and jobs are at stake, but greater care should be taken in peddling weapons. The exhibitors should not be inviting representatives from countries like Saudi Arabia who treated our citizens appallingly for offences they didn't commit and what's more we do not know who might be in power in Saudi Arabia next year.

:wavey:

th'engineer
13-09-2003, 14:46
Originally posted by Gogogo
No, I think there are genuine concerns.

The protesters themselves have a right to protest and it is right they do so, policing costs should fall on the exhibitors.

Business is business I know and jobs are at stake, but greater care should be taken in peddling weapons. The exhibitors should not be inviting representatives from countries like Saudi Arabia who treated our citizens appallingly for offences they didn't commit and what's more we do not know who might be in power in Saudi Arabia next year.

How do you know this have you been there or read infactutual reports in the press.

Every country has laws

Stephen Robb
13-09-2003, 14:51
Originally posted by morris
they will just buy them from someone else so we might as well make some money out of it.

Precisely!

Do you remember the stab in the back (yet again!) with the French in the Falklands war with the exocete missiles?

Gogogo
13-09-2003, 16:08
How do you know this have you been there or read infactutual reports in the press. Every country has laws

Actually, I know friends who have lived and worked there and had experience of being invited almost dragged to watch public spectacles of public amputations:

See the stories below which I am able to assure you are not what you suggest as "infactual" or whatever that is.

September 07, 2003

Why the oil kingdom is in danger of combustion

September 07, 2003

Saudis sentenced me to crucifixion, says freed Briton
Margarette Driscoll

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/ then search for Saudi Arabia