PDA

View Full Version : driving car on provisonal > insurance question?

dragon
10-03-2005, 20:25
i know to be able to drive a car on a provisional you need to have someone over 21 in the car and they have to have had their licence for 3 years

but do they need to be insured to drive the car?

i know you would have to be insured but would they?

gary_580
10-03-2005, 20:49
No they dont as they are not in control of the car.

dragon
10-03-2005, 20:51
No they dont as they are not in control of the car.

ahh thats what i was thinking just wanted to make sure ;)

joker
10-03-2005, 21:53
When I had a provisional I had to be a named driver on the policy in order to drive it legally. (Also needed an experienced sat in with me)

Tuftus
10-03-2005, 22:55
I was under the impression that the passenger / experienced one had to be insured so as to be able to take over the driving if the learner was to get out of thier depth for example.

Unless it has changed recently...

I stand corrected...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Topics/Motoring/CarDrivers/LearningToDriveYourCar/LearningToDrive/LearningToDriveInformation/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4001879&chk=xg86Hn

Hope this helps.

gary_580
10-03-2005, 23:02
When I had a provisional I had to be a named driver on the policy in order to drive it legally. (Also needed an experienced sat in with me)

they have a policy and were asking if the experienced driver has to be on the policy!

I was under the impression that the passenger / experienced one had to be insured so as to be able to take over the driving if the learner was to get out of thier depth for example.

Unless it has changed recently...

it is a good idea, just in case the experienced driver wants to drive for some reason. Its not essential though as they can just park the car and leave it :Yikes:

Tuftus
10-03-2005, 23:06
I thought it made sence... at least it did when I was 17...

;)

AndrewJ
10-03-2005, 23:10
Going in for my test soon, place I am using in Rochdale has Rover 45 Si's...

Tuftus
10-03-2005, 23:11
Good Luck!!!

goldoni
10-03-2005, 23:12
If you are lucky enough to find an insurance company that will insure a learner driver in his or her own right for their own car, please let me know as my daughter has just started driving lessons and I have hit a brick wall trying to either get her insured on my car a Renault Laguna RT Sport 2lt and as I have not purchased a smaller car I canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t get a quote. :mad:

But back to your question, if the person with the full licence has his own car/van insurance it would normally cover him/her to drive any car not belonging to him/her third party only.

Tuftus
10-03-2005, 23:17
But back to your question, if the person with the full licence has his own car/van insurance it would normally cover him/her to drive any car not belonging to him/her third party only.

Very good point, if you are fully comp then you are usually at least 3rd party on any other car....

ZrByte
10-03-2005, 23:32
Very good point, if you are fully comp then you are usually at least 3rd party on any other car....

On most policies that is restricted to over 25's.

joker
10-03-2005, 23:40
Most insurance companies will let learner drivers have there own policy, but your looking at 800+ for a young female and 1500+ for a young male.

Them sort of prices though you are looking at 5 yr old 1000cc or 1100cc.

ZrByte
11-03-2005, 01:20
Most insurance companies will let learner drivers have there own policy, but your looking at 800+ for a young female and 1500+ for a young male.

Them sort of prices though you are looking at 5 yr old 1000cc or 1100cc.

The age of the car actually makes little difference (within reason ofcourse a 15K car will likeley be more expensive), i agree about the engine size though even that can be off. e.g. my 1.2i corsa is considderably cheaper than a 1.2 punto or my dads 1.0i corsa.