PDA

View Full Version : step by step help pls

bb31
09-03-2005, 19:37
rite..... once had my computers networked wirelessly.......now i dont :(

sick and tired of modem trailing across living room to laptop and want to sort it if poss(no cost involved either!)

firstly(so i dont have to move) ive put the d-link airplus dwl G650+ thingy into the network slot on laptop and nothings happened (no lights on) oh and btw ive lost the disc for this. haha surprise surprise.

when i look in device manager, it is shown there and has an exclamation mark next to it. when i try to trouble shoot to sort it it comes up with ......
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

whats the next step from here (in easy peasy english please) no lights on me either

or is it knackered?

Paul K
09-03-2005, 19:48
How about a driver to help it along?
http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=11&sec=0#drivers

bb31
09-03-2005, 20:53
:tu: cheers
step one over and done with, ive downloaded above and now have a light on for the first time in many months. :)

now....

ive plugged the router in and all lights on, cant connect from the internet on laptop and not on desktop

now im stuck :dunce:

i dont know step two

Paul K
09-03-2005, 20:59
:tu: cheers
step one over and done with, ive downloaded above and now have a light on for the first time in many months. :)

now....

ive plugged the router in and all lights on, cant connect from the internet on laptop and not on desktop

now im stuck :dunce:

i dont know step two
Which of these install guides is yours BB?? There are 3 different manuals depending on which revision of card you have.

bb31
09-03-2005, 21:04
i downloaded the revision c one

Paul K
09-03-2005, 21:07
i downloaded the revision c one
So this is your manual
http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=11&pv=38&sec=0
I'll have a look at it in a mo ;)
You did of course remove the card, install those drivers, rebooted the computer and then plugged the card in didn't you ... ;)

bb31
09-03-2005, 21:13
see i cant even do that right!! sorry it was the B one.

but.......... even tho this network card is now lit up, i cant access the internet on the desktop. i dont know what ive done

maybe give up on me i have!!! thinking of wiping the desktop and starting again cos something not right with it,. Not used it for that reason since summer last year

So this is your manual
http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=11&pv=38&sec=0
I'll have a look at it in a mo ;)
You did of course remove the card, install those drivers, rebooted the computer and then plugged the card in didn't you ... ;)

yeh did it that way, i can connect from it., then it says no network set up, then i went up stairs and put the desktop on

Paul K
09-03-2005, 21:13
see i cant even do that right!! sorry it was the B one.

but.......... even tho this network card is now lit up, i cant access the internet on the desktop. i dont know what ive done

maybe give up on me i have!!! thinking of wiping the desktop and starting again cos something not right with it,. Not used it for that reason since summer last year
LOL I'll go look at the right manual then ;)
http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=11&pv=5&sec=0
It's probably just one setting that needs adjusting, try powering the pc down, remove card, power up, run the driver install again, power down, install card, power up.
Might kick start the install again :)

bb31
09-03-2005, 21:14
does the desktop pc need to be working first? or can i just forget about that for the moment?

Paul K
09-03-2005, 21:15
does the desktop pc need to be working first? or can i just forget about that for the moment?
Working in what way? Does the desktop access the internet ok when you hook it directly up to the broadband feed?

bb31
09-03-2005, 21:17
Working in what way? Does the desktop access the internet ok when you hook it directly up to the broadband feed?

errrrrmmmmmm no :erm:

Paul K
09-03-2005, 21:23

errrrrmmmmmm no :erm:
Ooookay lol Shall we back up a sec and get back to the basics on this ...
How are you accessing the broadband feed right now?
What operating systems are running on the computers to be networked?
Did you download the manual/ quick install guide from the link in my post above?

bb31
09-03-2005, 21:31
i know im hard work!!!

im access the internet via external modem plugged into the laptop running windows xp professional and desktop has windows xp professional. I downloaded the drivers version B from your link.

got further than before cos now i have a light on card at side of this laptop. when that happened, i went and switched the router on, had all the lights on that ok and status light was lit up. changed the wire to the phone and tried to connect the laptop, thats when it said no network available.

Paul K
09-03-2005, 21:34
i know im hard work!!!

im access the internet via external modem plugged into the laptop running windows xp professional and desktop has windows xp professional. I downloaded the drivers version B from your link.

got further than before cos now i have a light on card at side of this laptop. when that happened, i went and switched the router on, had all the lights on that ok and status light was lit up. changed the wire to the phone and tried to connect the laptop, thats when it said no network available.
Have you tried rebooting the router with everything plugged into it? I would power all the pc's down and the router, plug the feed into the router, reboot the router, wait for the lights to settle, reboot the pc's.
Is it a SACM by the way? If it is then power it down as well before changing anything around.
Oh and there are install guides, manuals and drivers at the link I posted ;) It's what I'm reading through at the moment lol :)
This is the manual for the card
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg650_revB/Manual/dwlg650_manual_104.zip
very useful to have just in case you lost the one it came with ;)

bb31
09-03-2005, 21:45
errrrrrr sacm?? im with pipex.

ive found one book i got for the g650+ and cant get past step 4 as i havent got the utility icon in the taskbar.

might have a sleep before i tackle this again, or i might give up its too hard :cry:

Paul K
09-03-2005, 21:49
Aaah ADSL?
Do you have a little icon on the desktop with a D in the middle of it?

bb31
09-03-2005, 21:52
Yeh

Paul K
09-03-2005, 21:53
Yeh
That triggers the configuration wizzard. One thing though, have you tried running the network setup wizard in windows xp on each pc?

bb31
09-03-2005, 21:57
yeh, i run the wizzard, and i run the network setup on the laptop choosing the option this pc connects to the internet through another pc. and ive got wireless connection3 there.

when i run the network setup on the desktop and choose that connects to the internet directly it tells me that other computers cannot connect through it and cant get any further

Paul K
09-03-2005, 22:01
yeh, i run the wizzard, and i run the network setup on the laptop choosing the option this pc connects to the internet through another pc. and ive got wireless connection3 there.

when i run the network setup on the desktop and choose that connects to the internet directly it tells me that other computers cannot connect through it and cant get any further
Do you just have two wireless cards then? I take it PC1 is connected to the ADSL line and also has a wireless card, PC2 has a wireless card and you want to connect to the ADSL through PC1?
Can you see the two PCs from each other? IE, Can you see PC2 from PC1 and PC1 from PC2?
edit:
Off to bed now but hopefully someone else will be able to get you up and running, one thing I would suggest is that you run the network setup wizard again on the desktop and make sure you have told it to share the connection and that other pcs will be accessing the internet through it. Other than that you may need to check that you have both PCs using the same domain etc. :)
No doubt someone will see this thread and give a bit more help than I can offer ;)

bb31
09-03-2005, 22:24
pc1 cant access the internet at the mo. im on pc2 connect on here via adsl line-has the wireless card in now that i downloaded the drivers for before.

daughter has hijacked pc one to play the sims :mad:

so going to have a go with that tomorrow, it has a wireless card thing in the back with an ariel out of it, the router is plugged into that one too

thanks for all your help so far

:) errrrrrrr are u about tomorrow??

oh and i dont think they can see each other - oh doh!

Paul K
09-03-2005, 22:26
pc1 cant access the internet at the mo. im on pc2 connect on here via adsl line-has the wireless card in now that i downloaded the drivers for before.

daughter has hijacked pc one to play the sims :mad:

so going to have a go with that tomorrow, it has a wireless card thing in the back with an ariel out of it, the router is plugged into that one too

thanks for all your help so far

:) errrrrrrr are u about tomorrow??

oh and i dont think they can see each other - oh doh!

I'll be about tomorrow if you still have problems with it, hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable about wireless networking will be too lol ;)

Bifta
10-03-2005, 00:30
errrrrrr sacm?? im with pipex.

ive found one book i got for the g650+ and cant get past step 4 as i havent got the utility icon in the taskbar.

might have a sleep before i tackle this again, or i might give up its too hard :cry:

Normally a router is set to use DHCP by default, go into Start/Control Panel/Network Connections and double click on the wireless connection then double click "Internet Protocol/TCP IP" and make sure "Obtain IP address automatically" & "Obtain DNS server address automatically are checked", click ok, right click the wireless connection, click "disable" when it's disabled double click it to restart it, if that doesn't work then phone Dlink ;)