PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Folders across home network?

mixteus
05-03-2005, 09:02
Hi,

I am running 2 PC's, one is Media Center 2005 and the other XP Pro.

I know how to enable folder sharing BUT is there a risk of these folders being viewable from a 3rd party on the net.

I currently share the internet connection via a router which has a built in firewall,the 2 PC's also have software firewall's enabled.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :D

Raistlin
05-03-2005, 09:07
Provided that your firewalls are working correctly and are configured correctly there shouldn't be too much risk.

As an extra precaution I would advise making sure that you have all of the security features enabled on your router. Make sure the admin password is changed, that the router only allows access to to named devices (there's normally a list where you can specify what MAC addresses can access the router), that sort of thing.

Allowing file & printer sharing within a Windows has always been a risk but obviously if you take the steps above, and the ones you have already highlighted then the risk should be mitigated slighty.

Florence
05-03-2005, 10:14
On windows 2000 you can limit the number of people who can access the file limiting it to 1 also helps to stop too many actually gaining access.

mixteus
05-03-2005, 10:16
Thanks Raistlin.

Just sent a PM. :)

Thanks Kits

Raistlin
05-03-2005, 11:08
I have the same router as yourself.I have changed the default admin password,however I do not understand the list of named services you mention,can you shed any more light?

And

Are these named services applicable to the software firewall's I am running.

Ok, use a network cable to connect your machine to the router and disconnect from the wireless network. If you don't do this you may lose the connection during the following process and be unable to access the router at all.

Click on the wireless tab.
Now select Wireless Security.

From the drop-down box select WEP and then enter a Passphrase and click generate.
Take a look at the setting for Default Transmit Key.
Find the WEP string that corresponds to the key being transmitted, highlight the whoe string, right-click on it and select Copy.

Leave the router control panel open.

Now you need to go back to the Network Connections folder in Windows (you can get to it from the Control Panel).
Right click on your wireless connection and select Properties.
Go to the Wireless Networks tab and highlight the connetion that you are using.
Click on Properties.

Change the Network Authentication to Open, Data Encryption to WEP, right-click in the Network Key box and select Paste, do the same with the Confirm network key box. Change the Key Index to match the
Default Transmit Key that you are using from the router control panel.

Click on OK.

Now go back to the router control panel ad click Save Settings.

Now click on the Continue button.

Close the router control panel.

Disconnect the network cable from between the wireless PC and the router. Re-connect to the wireless connection. If you have any problems at this stage reconnect the cable and check the settings above again. If you still can't get connected remove the WEP key settings from both devices and start from scratch.

Once your wireless connection is established again, go back to the router control panel.

Click on the Wireless MAC filter option in the router control panel (you should still be on the Wireless tab).
Now change the Wireless MAC Filter setting to Enable.
Select the radio button that says "Permit only the PCs listed to access the wireless network".
Click Edit MAC Filter List. A new box will pop up.
The router should automatically detect the MAC address for your wireless card and it will appear in one of the boxes. Click Save Settings at the foot of the new box, then Continue, then close the box.
Now click Save Settings in the router control panel.
You should now be good to go.

I would suggest at this point that you disconnect from the wireless network and check that you can reconnect.

I think I've included everything but if you get any problems/questions just post back.

Good luck :D

mixteus
05-03-2005, 11:12
Thanks Raistlin

I will have a go at that later.

:handshake ;)

Raistlin
05-03-2005, 11:18
Actually, forget what I just posted above :dunce: I'm getting confused with another thread and I don't think I actually answered your question.....

Give me a minute.....

D'OH!!!!!

Yep, just about every word of what I just posted above is good for wireless networks only. If you're using wireless onl your network (and I would imagine you are if you have the same model as me) then the instructions are valid. If you're using an exclusively wired network then there's not a lot there that you need to worry about.

Sorry about that.