PDA

View Full Version : trying to change my router

gospodinBezkrai
05-03-2005, 03:55
Hi!

For some weeks now I am trying unsuccessfully to move to a wireless router Draytek Vigor 2500we.
Currently we are using Tp-Link 3402m which was not set-up by me. It is connected to the cable modem by ethernet cable.

I have tried the procedures on
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/cable_setup.html
inc the foolproof method - to no avail.

It seems the problem is the router cannot obtain ip from ntl or maybe there is some conflict between the DHCPs. When I turn off the DHCP server function of the router I can connect to internet, however it works as if there is no router at all: one computer has 82.... ip and is fine, all others are 169.... Besides I cannot access the router setup page anymore (192.168.1.1) and I have to do hardware reset to fix that.

If DHCP is on, i get proper 192.... ips on all computers, but the router online status window shows no data and i cannot ping outside servers.

LEDs are all ok. i connect modem to one of the 1-4 ports because if i put it in the adsl port (which i thought initially is eqiuvalent to the old routers wan port :)) i dont have the ethernet indicator lit. a friend told me it should work if i turn off the ppp dialing, but it still doesnt. i dont mind that anyway.

Help much appreciated! Tell me if you need further details.

JohnHorb
05-03-2005, 08:25
:welcome: to the forum. However, I may have some bad news for you. From what you have posted, plus a quick google, I think you have a wireless ADSL router/modem. This will not work with an NTL cable connection, as it has a built-in ADSL modem. ADSL is a different technology.

Raistlin
05-03-2005, 09:13
:welcome:

Afraid I have to agree with John on this one (and how I hate doing that ;) ).

Sounds like you've got the wrong router there matey. The reason that turning DHCP on in the router is borking your connection is probably that the router is trying to specify an IP address for the Cable Modem, it's plugged into the network port so it's being treated as a networked machine rather than a gateway.

Sorry :(

gospodinBezkrai
05-03-2005, 10:34
cheers!

poolking
05-03-2005, 10:59
Just had a quick look on google and I'm afraid I can confirm that it is an ADSL router.

Graham M
05-03-2005, 12:03
I thoroughly recommend the Belkin 54g Wireless Router. Great piece of kit, has done me no wrong in nearly 2 years (touch wood)

gospodinBezkrai
06-03-2005, 17:07
Thank you everyone! I got it from a friend awhile ago. I guess Ill sell it on ebay and buy suitable for cable modem.