PDA

View Full Version : Help please

kash
04-03-2005, 18:32
Hi, sorry, this is probably a little basic, but I need some help.

I have my desktop pc upstairs connected to ntl broadband through my set top box. I have just bought a laptop and woul like to connect it to the same broadband connection. How would I do it?:)

monkey2468
04-03-2005, 18:38
Plug in the cable that is in your pc (asuming its ethernet) into your laptop, then reboot the modem and startup, laptop.

If its USB its a little more complicated

kash
04-03-2005, 18:40
It is actually a usb cable

Raistlin
04-03-2005, 18:42
:welcome: to CF.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to get yourself a router.

Connect the PC to the outer, and the router to the STB. This will give you access to your internet connection from the main PC and then gives you two options for connecting the laptop.

1) You can connect the laptop's ethernet port directly to the router via a network cable.

2) If you have bought a wireless router and your laptop has wireless capability (or a wireless card) you can connect wirelessly to the router from other places on your house (or garden if you are lucky :D ).

I would suggest that option 2 is the best bet as this gives you more versatility with your laptop.

For wireless routers I would recommend the model in my signature, if you don't have wireless capability on your laptop you should be able to add it quite easily by buying a plug-in card.

I would also suggest (if you haven't done so already) that your PC should be connected to the STB via ethernet and not USB.

Hope some of that helps, if you have any questions just shout.

Plug in the cable that is in your pc (asuming its ethernet) into your laptop, then reboot the modem and startup, laptop.

If its USB its a little more complicated

I think the OP is trying to share the connecton between the two machines.

Swapping the cables backwards and forwards gets complicated with STBs as you need to re-register the MAC address for each device.

paulyoung666
04-03-2005, 18:43
may i :welcome: you to the site as well , the above advice is very solid and the easiest way to do it :tu: :)

monkey2468
To conect using USB you will need the NTL disc with the USB driver on it.
Plug USB cable into laptop with the laptop switched on. Windows will then ask for driver, insert disc, follow instruction.......... (you may need to reboot the STB afterwards)

edit: just seen above post, please ignor me! :)

Raistlin
Something like this would probably do the job quite nicely:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=5812264403&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=78215

Raistlin
04-03-2005, 18:50
I would seriously forget the USB route, if you want to share the connection a router is definately the best way to go.

This way ou get a permenantly shared connetion without the hassle of continually swaping cables.

The other consideration is that using the USB connection uses a lot of system resources because the USB drivers have to translate the information coming through the connection. If you use an ethernet connection the ethernet card will take care of this and take some of the pressure off of your PC, giving you better performance.

kash
04-03-2005, 18:50
WOW guys thanks for the really fast responses aswel as the welcomes. :)

The wireless option seems to be the way to go, 1 question though, what does STB stand for. Forgive my ignorance.:p:

Raistlin
04-03-2005, 18:52
STB = Set Top Box

And, you're welcome.

There's a load of good info here about setting up wireless routers, and dealing with stroppy STBs, I would strongly suggest a good read through the threads on the board before you start connecting things up. That way you should be fairly prepared for most eventualities.

Ultimately though if you get any problems you can always post back here and I'm sure ther'll be somebody more than happy to help :D

kash
04-03-2005, 18:56
of course:D

Just checked the spec of my laptop and i have -"Gigabit LAN / 802.11g Wireless LAN ". Is this sufficicent or will I need anything else.

Also, you recomended me to connect my pc to the STB via ethernet. How would I do this.

**edit-Ok, I think I sshould start reading the forum:)

Raistlin
04-03-2005, 19:08
of course:D

Just checked the spec of my laptop and i have -"Gigabit LAN / 802.11g Wireless LAN ". Is this sufficicent or will I need anything else.

Also, you recomended me to connect my pc to the STB via ethernet. How would I do this.

Ok:

1) Yes, your laptop should be able to connect without any problems.

2) If you're going to connect the PC to the router anyway:

PC > ROUTER > STB

then there is no need to connect the PC direct to the STB (sorry if I confused you there).

You need to check that you have an ethernet port on the back of the PC, there should be one on the back of the STB but it doesn't hurt to check that as well :D , it's a bit like a telephone socket but bigger.

If you have then you simply need to use the ethernet cable that should have come with the STB to connect the router to the STB. Your router will come with a cable.

you need to do some trick stuff to get the STB to recognise the router (that's covered on other threads but hopefully somebody will repeat it here for you) and once that's sorted you should be able to connect the main PC without too many problems.

Once the main PC is connected you can connect the laptop via the wireless card and all should be well.

Once the two are connected and working it will be necessary to set up the security on the router (and the PC and Laptop) and then you are good to go :D

They look like this (should be labelled though):

Oh, and if you go here:

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/select_modem.php

You can select the type of STB that you have and then see the way that NTL say you can do it :D

kash
04-03-2005, 19:16
Thanks for the thumbnail, but im not that bad:D
Anyway, I checked everything. the STB and the laptop have an ethernet port, but unfortunately my PC doesnt. Looks like Il have to get one put in.

You also mentioned the ethernet cable which should have coem with STB, I found a unconnected cable with a round head on and a thin little needle in the middle of the head. Am I right in thinking this is the ethernet cable?;)

Raistlin
04-03-2005, 19:20
Thanks for the thumbnail, but im not that bad:D

Sorry dude, no offence meant :D

Anyway, I checked everything. the STB and the laptop have an ethernet port, but unfortunately my PC doesnt. Looks like Il have to get one put in.

Shame. Still, ethernet cards are dirt cheap and easy enough to fit.

You also mentioned the ethernet cable which should have coem with STB, I found a unconnected cable with a round head on and a thin little needle in the middle of the head. Am I right in thinking this is the ethernet cable?;)

Not sure what that one is, I've got mine plugged into the microwave :Yikes: ( ;) )

kash
04-03-2005, 19:26
Sorry dude, no offence meant :D

Absolutely none taken

Not sure what that one is, I've got mine plugged into the microwave :Yikes: ( ;) )

Yeah iv found it, it just had a usb adapter on it. Dont know what the other cable is for then, I wont connect it to my microwave though:D

Thanks Raistlin, you have been a GREAT help, much appreciated. Im just shocked help like this is free:p:

paulyoung666
04-03-2005, 19:28
a likely candidate for most helpful thread of the month i reckon :tu: :)

Raistlin
04-03-2005, 19:32
Thanks Raistlin, you have been a GREAT help, much appreciated. Im just shocked help like this is free:p:

You're more than welcome. I've had enough help from people here in the past, it's good to be able to give some back.

And, you'd be suprised what you can get for free:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18585&highlight=free+stuff

kash
04-03-2005, 21:36
haha, couldnt find a free wireless router though:D

Raistlin
04-03-2005, 22:11
:LOL:

Nah, sorry - if I find one I'll let you know.

Good luck getting your wireless set up, if you get any problems you know where we are ;)

kash
06-03-2005, 00:44
Hi again, i need some help getting an internet connection working through my wireless router. basically the guy in the shop told me to wire it up and input in the internet protocol the ip address, subnet mask and dns details. I found these by typing ipcinfig/all in command promt. The network seems to be setup, but i cant actually get on the internet. i tried following the Cable Modem Setup Without the Broadjump (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=7603)advice, but i still cant get on to teh registration page.

please can someone help and tell me where Im going wrong:(

Tezcatlipoca
06-03-2005, 00:51
You shouldn't manually specify the IP, DNS, etc.

The router should be set to obtain an IP & DNS automatically - this is usually the default option.

The PC's network card should (to make it easier) be set to obtain an IP & DNS automatically. It will receive these from the router's DHCP server (which should be turned on - normally by default).

The STB needs to be rebooted. Then, you need to register the MAC address of the router - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg

kash
06-03-2005, 01:00
Ok thanks matt il give it a go

kash
06-03-2005, 02:25
ok, Im not sure what just happened. I did exactly what you said. Then when I booted onto windows, I got an ntl page saying im connected to a new settop box:dozey: Then asked me to give my pid and password. I did so and then it asked me to name my compter. I did then the only options were logout, add a computer, rename existing computers or delete a computer. I couldnt go on any other websites. I then tried adding a computer name and it told me to reboot my STB. I did that and rebooted my pc and now its working through my router.:dunce:

Thanks for the quick reply matt:)

ok, how do I get the dongle that I I put in my laptop's usb to pick up the signal from the wireless router. Iv installed the router's/donge's driver. It detects it.

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 09:46
Go to Control Panel > Network Connections

The USB Dongle should appear in there

Right Click on it and select "View Available Wireless Connections"

It should detect the wireless connetion for your router, if it does just highlight it and hit "Connect"

You will need to set up all the wireless security features for the router (this is usually straight forward enough), look in your manual for setting up WEP keys and MAC address filtering :D

Have fun!

kash
06-03-2005, 15:02
yeah, I tried that, but it says no wireless networks were found in range. Then I refresh it and one comes up which is security protected and it doesnt let me connect to that.

I still havent registered the router with ntl yet it seems to be working, is that anything to do with it?

Tezcatlipoca
06-03-2005, 15:08
I still havent registered the router with ntl yet it seems to be working, is that anything to do with it?

Ah, but you have registered the router with ntl - it's what you did here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=415124&postcount=23) :)

kash
06-03-2005, 15:10
Fair enough, I was expecting to have to type the mac and serial numbers.

If thats not it, what can be the problem.

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 16:42
Hi kash,

Sorry mate, been building my new desk so everything's been offline for a while.

What name does it give to the wireless network that it finds?

If you go into the router control panel what wireless network name has been assigned to the router? (Look for something that says SSID, or wireless network name.)

Are the two the same?

If they are it could be that the network that is being found is your own, and that the reason it won't let you access it is because you have set up the WEP but you haven't specified it within the USB devices connection properties.

Have a look and if that doesn't get you anywhere we can try something else (not sure what yet though ;) ).

BTW, when you first click on View Available Wireless Networks it won't show your home network unless you are connected. Clicking on the Refresh option will force it to find the network.
I'm prepared to be that the one it is finding is your home one.

kash
06-03-2005, 18:21
hope yuor desks goin better than my connection:)

Iv got something to do with the router in my task manager on my laptop. In there I found the same SSID number that is on the router. Enable encryption(wep key)is ticked.

BTW, when you first click on View Available Wireless Networks it won't show your home network unless you are connected. Clicking on the Refresh option will force it to find the network.
I'm prepared to be that the one it is finding is your home one.

yeah I did that, but it wouldnt let me connect. now it just says windows cannot configure the wireless connection. Then it tells me if im using some other software then i should use that or alternatively windows can do it for me

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 18:56
Ok, let's try something.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

There should be an icon in there representing your wireless device.
Right-Click on it and select properties.
Select the Wireless Networks tab.

Does your wireless network (the one you are trying to connect to) come up in the "Preferred Networks" box?

If it does, highlight it and click on the Properties button. Check that the Data Encryption option is set to WEP and that the WEP key you have setup on the router is entered into the two boxes available.

Let me know how you get on with that.

kash
06-03-2005, 19:02
iv got two wireless networks, 1 and 2. 2 is called netgear and is the name of my wireless modem. This has no preferred networks

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 19:10
What's the first one called?

What happens when you try to connect to either?

Do you get the same error message with both?

It's possible that you are picking up somebody else's network (although I doubt it).

It might be worth deleting them both from the list and then getting your adaptor to do another search by telling it to refresh.

It almost sounds like Windows has tried to set the same network up twice.

This is going to sound like a dumb question (and I apologise in advance for asking it) but you haven't still got the router connected to your laptop via a cable have you?

kash
06-03-2005, 19:16
no i never connected the router to the laptop with a wire.:D

Basically, a baloon appears in my task manager saying there are one or more wireless networks available. then i select show available wireless networks. Onme appears with the same name as my router's ssid number. I try to connect and it says the network may no longer be available and to refresh. I do this and its still there with full signal strength. However there are no preferred networks in its properties. Oh and the icon in the task manager has a red X on it.:confused:

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 19:19
Just re-read some of the posts from earlier.

You said that your laptop had a wireless card built in and then you talked about a USB wireless dongle.

You probably shouldn't be trying to use both. It's possible that one could be detecting the other and that would definatley be confusing the issue. I would suggest that you uninstall the USB dongle and see if that helps matters

kash
06-03-2005, 19:19
iv not actually used the card though.

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 19:25
no i never connected the router to the laptop with a wire.:D

Basically, a baloon appears in my task manager saying there are one or more wireless networks available. then i select show available wireless networks. Onme appears with the same name as my router's ssid number. I try to connect and it says the network may no longer be available and to refresh. I do this and its still there with full signal strength. However there are no preferred networks in its properties. Oh and the icon in the task manager has a red X on it.:confused:

Ok, I don't think there will be a preferred network showing unless you have actually managed to connect to one.

When you set the router up what security features did you enable?

iv not actually used the card though.

When you say "card" I assume you mean that you are only trying to use the USB Dongle at the moment?

If that's the case then you might find you have better luck with the Laptop's built in wirless card. It could be something to do with the USB drivers for the dongle that you are using.

I've gotta dissapear for a little while.

Have a think about what settings you applied when you set the router up, if neccessary plug the laptop into the router via a cable and access the router's control panel and see what is set up in there.

If there are any options to limit the MAC addresses that can access the router (usually called MAC address filtering) then disable them.

I would also disable the WEP encryption and make sure that you have the SSID broadcast on.

I know this leaves it slightly insecure but we need to be able to get you connected first, we can worry about the security later. No good it being so secure that you can't actually get to it.

Make sure that you change the router's admin password while you are in there. This will stop anybody else from being able to change your settings until we get the other stuff sorted.

kash
06-03-2005, 19:27
I havent set any security features, that I know of.

By card I mean the 5 in 1 card reader that i slide in teh side of my laptop. if im totally confusing you here, its probably my fault:dozey:
I have been using the dongle that came with the router, but if you think the card may work better, i can try that.:)

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 19:31
I'll drop back in when I can and we can see what else we can try. I'm starting to think that it might be worth doing a complete reset on the router, making sure that your PC is connected ok, uninstalling the USB dongle and trying again from scratch. Hopefully it won't come to that ;)

If you were next door I'd pop round and take a look for you, still this new fangled internet thing would appear to have it's uses after all :D

Be back soon.

I havent set any security features, that I know of.

By card I mean the 5 in 1 card reader that i slide in teh side of my laptop. if im totally confusing you here, its probably my fault:dozey:
I have been using the dongle that came with the router, but if you think the card may work better, i can try that.:)

No, no.

You said earlier:

That sounded like you had wireless built in to the laptop. Then after that you talked about:

ok, how do I get the dongle that I I put in my laptop's usb to pick up the signal from the wireless router. Iv installed the router's/donge's driver. It detects it.

Which, to me, sounded like you had installed a USB device into your machine that also had wireless capabilities. In theory, it shouldn't be neccessary to use both. If your laptop has wirless built in then this would be the best option.

kash
06-03-2005, 19:53
Yeah you are right, I took the dongle out and the wireless lan card detected the network, but I still couldnt connect. Il try and have a little play around.:erm:

I connected the laptop through a cable to the router. A baloon came up telling me there is limited or no connectivity. It says I may not be able to access the internet or some network resources. It says the problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the laptop.

It then gave an option to restart connection and establish full conectivity->repair. It then tried to renew my ip address, but couldnt and then tells me to contact the person who manages my network:dozey:

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 20:05
Sounds like 1 of 2 or 3 things going wrong:

1) There is some sort of MAC filter in place on the router, preventing your wireless device from connecting to it.

2) Your router has a WEP key set up that your Laptop's wireless card doesn't have. This means that your Laptop won't be able to communicate with the router.

3) There is some sort of problem with the signal from the router, possibly being caused by interference from another wireless source (cordless phones, microwaves etc are the usual suspects).

Ignore that last post.

Had different ideas. Stand by.

Definately sounds like either a problem with the settings within the router control panel or a problem with interference.

Is there an option within the router control panel to change the connection frequency? It might be referred to as a connection band?
If there is, change the frequency so that it is as far away as possible from the default setting.

Now reboot the laptop and try connecting.

If that hasn't worked, go back into the router's control panel and see what options are there for specifying IP addresses etc.

There's probably an option there for something called DHCP server, this should be enabled (or switched on).

See how you get on with those.

What's the model number / name of your router? Who's the manufacturer? I'll see if I can find a manual online, that will help me to know what settings it has.

kash
06-03-2005, 20:12
its a netgear mr814v2tw

http://www.netgear.com.au/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=151

it also says blueyonder broadband on it.

How do i get to the control panel for the router, do you mean the properties of the connection?

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 20:24
No, the actual router control panel.

Open your internet browser (in a different window to this one) and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and hit go.

User = admin
Password = password

Both lowercase

I'm wandering if this might be easier through the chat room, it would allow us to talk in real-time so you can give me feedback on exactly what's happening, might also be a bit quicker as well.

kash
06-03-2005, 20:26
Tried that and i got a message saying this page cannot be displayed

yea cool, that would be easier, il just go on now

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 20:26
Hmmmm.

Try it from a PC that is wired into the router, rather than from the laptop.

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 21:41
Think I lost you on the chat kash.

Raistlin
06-03-2005, 22:14
I've gotta poke off now. Gimme a shout on this thread when you get back.

kash
07-03-2005, 00:14
Sorry, now my internets not working through my router. Il catch you another time:)It just occured to me to connect through usb again.

Raistlin
07-03-2005, 00:36
Bugger!

Ok, we'll take another look at this tomorrow if you like.

Can't fathom what on Earth could be going on here......

kash
07-03-2005, 00:45
cheers mate this is really good of you. I might be a few days, cuz I have to do an isql assignment for uni over the next couple of days and cant really afford to lose the internet:p: I had a real scare earlier on:Yikes:

Raistlin
07-03-2005, 01:14
No worries, shout back here when you're ready.

Did you get manuals with the router?

If not, do you want me to email you the ones that I downloaded? You might find something in there that will help.

They're big files though :D

kash
07-03-2005, 02:35
To tell you the truth Iv been rather obsessed with the wireless connection for the last couple of days and if i get the manual il probably end up readin gthat rather than my assingnment:p: Ro quote Arnie though, Il be bak

Maggy
07-03-2005, 17:55
OK due to one or two PM's I am happy to announce that Raistlin has been awarded one of these for his heroic efforts in this thread.He has proved by his efforts that he understands the principles upon which Cable Forum is based.

Download Failed (1)

If you want an avatar sized one Raistlin then it is available at Incognitas Corner (http://incognitas.i-webhosted.co.uk/Miscellaneousfun.htm)

Well done. :clap:

homealone
07-03-2005, 18:06
nice one Incog - I agree absolutely, well done Raist, :tu:

Minbu
07-03-2005, 19:54
Too right. Raistlin you are a star.

Raistlin
07-03-2005, 20:49
Cheers guys, thanks very much.

Not quite sorted yet but we'll get there :D

Minbu