PDA

View Full Version : ntl cable in new building

djsat2
25-02-2005, 10:08
Im about to move into a new apartment block in Cardiff and when viewing the apartment it looks like there is a cable termination point in the lounge area, theres a socket with an obvious threaded coax socket with screw some cable onto. Is this likely to be ntl cable as im sort of hoping it is. When calling ntl they said the post code for the building could not be found and i could thereofre not have their servies. Its a brand new place and i will be the first person living in this perticular apartment. any one got any ideas and what can be done? I would have though it would be logical to put cable in these new building when the rest of the city is cabled?!?!

ian@huth
25-02-2005, 10:44
Hi djsat2 and :welcome:

The point could be for a communal satellite system. Ask the landlord or management company what it is.

djsat2
25-02-2005, 10:46
Yes, i feared it might be something like that! Unfortunatly the letting agent dont seem to have any idea. Being an NTL employee, this is frustrating as ill have to get my internet and TV from elsewhere and actually have to pay full price for it! :(
I just dont understand why it wouldnt be cabled up, everything around the building is.

shredder
25-02-2005, 10:53
i had the same problem when i moved into my new flat, i wanted to transfer my services but was told my new post code was not recognised, in the end they send out a tech to view the property turned out it was servicable, took two weeks for them to add my postcode to the network, then i got installed .... on the second attempt after they only sent one tech to do my install (they were under the impression the last tenant had ntl, despite the fact that they told me my property was none serviceable!?) i'm an employee too and it only got sorted by using the contacts list at work!

ian@huth
25-02-2005, 10:57
Yes, i feared it might be something like that! Unfortunatly the letting agent dont seem to have any idea. Being an NTL employee, this is frustrating as ill have to get my internet and TV from elsewhere and actually have to pay full price for it! :(
I just dont understand why it wouldnt be cabled up, everything around the building is.
My daughter moved into a new flat in Essex some years ago which was in a Telewest area that was just being cabled. They cabled surrounding properties but not her block of flats. When she approached Telewest they told her that they were unable to cable the property for six years.

Have a look at the block of flats from outside to see if there is a satellite dish visable. You can get some sort of idea where it would probably be placed by looking for other satellite dishes nearby. Also look at the ground outside the property to see if there is any evidence of NTL having cabled and having put in access points.

djsat2
25-02-2005, 11:01
ian@huth, well i know the area is cabled and the building that stood there before was houses which im rpetty sure were. The bulding next the the flats have cable as i cheked their post code. I havent had a good look at the building but i couldnt see any visable satellite system installed on it. Im going there tonight so i will have a good look then

shredder, thanks for ur reply, ive sent a pm.